Jinhao Shimmering Sands: What Ink Do You Use

Misfit

I ordered a Jinhao Shimmering Sands on eBay last night. It is going to be my reward for successfully completing InCoWriMo. Also it might be a positive reinforcement for making me answer my pen pals in a more timely manner.

While waiting on the pen to travel here, I am wondering what ink to put in the Shimmering Sands first. Perhaps I will (finally) catalog my inks and choose one as I go.

But I would still like to know what ink others put in their Jinhao Shimmering Sands pen.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• amberleadavis

• Helen350

• mke

I have Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue in mine. It's prone to sheen and with the evaporation in the Jinhao, it she's like crazy...shimmering like the pen.

Good to know about the evaporation. I have a bottle of Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue.

Thank you for posting.

Posted Image

Good to know about the evaporation. I have a bottle of Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue.

Thank you for posting.

My inks do not stay in my pens for long periods of time. I have not had any evaporation of inks in my Jinhao X750. Being an avid writer, I usually use all the ink in one or two days of writing. I also have a remaining bottle of Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue which I have used in my Jinhao X750 with my Goulet 1.1 nib. I am prone to use shimmering inks in pens with #6 nibs only. I am also currently using Diamine Magical Forest in my X750 & X450. Make sure you ink your pen based on what you plan on using. The shimmering elements can clog a feed if you sit your pens down for days. If you do, run some warm water over the feed to get any clumps out, so that the ink will flow properly. Since the Jinhao has a #6 nib, you ought to be able to use any of the shimmering inks without too many problems. If you are going to use it for writing envelops, dip your nib, and when finished run some warm water over the nib/feed. If only for a couple of pages of writing, half fill your converter. If for more writing, fill your converter completely, and try to use all of that in 2-3 days of writing. Now this is the method I use, and I have no problems with feeds clogging, ink evaporating, etc.

What is the reason that you say, #6 nibs would be better than #5 nibs?

My feeling is that the feed for the #5 nib is much smaller with tighter fins, with the probability of it becoming more easily clogged. So if you plan on inking your pens with shimmering inks, and then letting them sit for days, the chances are higher for that to take place. I base that thought on my experience with using my Chinese pens. Someone else might have a different opinion based on their experience.

Thank you for the good advice Helen350. I have to admit I have left a Lamy Vista with a shimmering Diamine alone for months. Bad pen owner! Edited to add that halfway filling with sparkle inks is a great idea.

I would like to get an italic nib for it, as it comes with a M. I love the line variation. If the Jinhao is as sparkling glorious as expected, it needs a nib I would like to use.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

How about

Diamine Mystique Shimmer Ink

https://www.fpnibs.com/50ml-shimmering-ink/2061-diamine-mystique-shimmer-ink-50ml.html

and if you are already there - they make good italic nibs too

https://www.fpnibs.com/217-standard

Check for the customization possibilities of each nib or get an recommendation from them.

I have Iroshizuku Yama-Budo in my x750 "Shimmering Sands"

1nRBv9Q.jpg?1

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

Thank you for posting the photo. I have a sample of that ink. Hmm, maybe that will be the one, but not sure yet. I have started the ink inventory.

Posted Image

Diamine

fpn_1440710880__diamine_shimmer_set_swat

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

or J Herbin Stormy Grey

post-101543-0-58957700-1409659332.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmm, shimmering inks are most mentioned. Is that because of the pen’s name? I think I have all those mentioned.

Do they clean out of this pen well?

Posted Image

Hmm, now Im thinking J Herbin Rouge Hematite might be the one. Ive only used this ink once, and it has been awhile. It is in the last container to inventory. Hopefully it is an ink that lasts, and in good ink shape.

The pen has not arrived yet. A USPS tracking message arrived, so maybe that is the pen making it to the US. (quietly: I have 3 pens on order from overseas.)

Edited to add I am rather fond of Brandy Dazzle.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Misfit, the Jinhao handled glitter inks fine for me.

Thank you Amberlea. Good to know that. It should arrive by this Tuesday if not before.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived today. First fill is the sample of Yama Budo. But I will want an italic nib for the pen.

Posted Image