Parker Moire Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would start a photo thread on the Parker Moire pens, also often called pastels. Please post yours here!

This is a Parker Moire in Apple Green celluloid c. 1930. This 4 7/16 inch long button fill pen features gold filled trim and a 14 karat gold nib stamped PARKER over LUCKY CURVE over PEN over MADE IN over U.S.A. This example is faded almost to a gray color, but the original color can be seen in the top of the barrel near the section. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER PEN MADE IN U.S.A over PATENTED. These pens were marketed to women and offered with clips or as ringtop pens and sold for $3.50. Colors included Magenta, Beige Gray, Mauve, Apple Green, Coral and Naples Blue. Nibs offered included extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerMoireAppleGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursive Child

• PenHero

• Glenn-SC

• shalitha33

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always interesting and quite an education, thank you!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Is the one with nothing just a rounded top?

Yes. Just a rounded top. No holes. No indication that the pen ever had a clip.

OK, I just learned in the Parker Duofold photo thread that my pen is a Parker Moire, so I'm going to post a picture of it here. Pretty little pen, really well made. Ringtop. I'd say it is the "beige grey" color.

20190306_110504_resized.jpg?w=1000&h=

20190306_110529_resized.jpg?w=1000&h=

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures! Here's another one. Presented to me by a client who was curious about my FP interest, and found it lying in a vintage desk.

I got a sac fitted on in at the DC pen show a few years ago, but it came off.

What size of sac does this use? I looked at Richard Binder's website and several others, and not clear because of the differing names by which this series of pens went by. I think it's size 16. Can someone let me know? I plan to buy shellac, some sacs and restore it myself.

The nib is buttery smooth, and even though I prefer heavier pens, this one feels very good in writing!

post-2387-0-17621200-1563400162_thumb.jpg

post-2387-0-17872300-1563400240_thumb.jpg

If you are going to get into restoring pens, then order an assortment of sizes. However I think this pen (on the Parker Penography site, called a ''Parker Pastel'') would take a smaller sac than a #16, maybe a 14 or even a 12. You can always measure the o/s diameter of the nipple in 64th of an inch to be sure. However many 64ths there are, that's the sac size. BTW, have you checked up on the method of re-assembling a button filler?

Lovely pen, best of luck

If you are going to get into restoring pens, then order an assortment of sizes. However I think this pen (on the Parker Penography site, called a ''Parker Pastel'') would take a smaller sac than a #16, maybe a 14 or even a 12. You can always measure the o/s diameter of the nipple in 64th of an inch to be sure. However many 64ths there are, that's the sac size. BTW, have you checked up on the method of re-assembling a button filler?

Lovely pen, best of luck

Thanks! Good pointers and will do. I did see an online video from one of the known repair sites, forget which.

• 1 month later...

Lovely pen, best of luck

I did measure the diameter of the nipple, and it is 1/4 in, so I think its 16.

Question on the pressure bar. Will a 66 mm straight pressure bar from Anderson Pens work on this one? https://andersonpens.com/66-mm-pressure-bar/

I can't seem to find a site that sells replacement pressure bars that look like the one I found in it. The one it has should work, but since I'm buying sacs, may as well....

Someone mentioned in another thread that latex sacs are more pliable than silicone ones, let me know if that's correct.

post-2387-0-46742000-1567809867_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdugar

For replacement pressure bars, you may want to check fivestarpens web site. They sometimes have original Parker pressure bars. May want to give them a call to see if they have one that would fit your pen.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with that site in anyway. I have bought stuff from them before. that is how i know about them.

These are two of the pens i have.

fpn_1567815494__img_0398.jpg

I am no pressure bar expert so don't take my word. I think the bar you linked is a bar for a swan calligraph. Although i am very likely going to be wrong :( so best to ask some one who have switched a pressure bar before .

I'll attach a photo of a calligraph with the bar taken out on the. This one is anchored to the slot cut in the threads of the section.

fpn_1567817212__img_0400.jpg

please do correct me :)