The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fpn Server Migration

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 XYZZY

XYZZY

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 22:34

We're working on this - is likely a server configuration setting, and will likely take some time to figure out considering everything has changed on the new server.

No hurries.  I'm grateful that you're working on it, instead of the dreaded "it works fine for me"  :)

By the way, I agree with everybody else that the upgrade is noticeable.  I didn't think that performance was bad before, but now it's snappy.

Sponsored Content

#22 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2019 - 22:42

No hurries.  I'm grateful that you're working on it, instead of the dreaded "it works fine for me"  :)

By the way, I agree with everybody else that the upgrade is noticeable.  I didn't think that performance was bad before, but now it's snappy.

:) - Thanks.

I've noticed it straight away. Unfortunately tending to FPN is for all of us a volunteer job, and Monday I had to be at work again. Away from home as well, which makes it a little harder to do things here - very much dependent on internet access after hours. Fortunately, tonight it appears fine :).

We are currently running the latest tech, form a server, processor and hard disk POV, and that makes quite the difference indeed :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#23 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:19

I wish I could do more to help but my computer skills are focused on statistics and not servers.

#24 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:07

More data points re:update read.

If you go up one level it does show that a subforum was read or marked read but if you then go up one more level the subforum does not show as read.

AbE:

Make that sometimes.

It worked in one subforum but not in the next one.

BUMMER:  hate intermittent issues.

Edited by jar, 07 March 2019 - 12:11.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#25 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:58

More data points re:update read.

If you go up one level it does show that a subforum was read or marked read but if you then go up one more level the subforum does not show as read.

AbE:

Make that sometimes.

It worked in one subforum but not in the next one.

BUMMER:  hate intermittent issues.

So do we :).

We are working on it, as is Hosting Support :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#26 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 2,997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 19:00

Thanks to all the folks who make this the best web site on the internet!

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#27 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 23:20

Thanks to all the folks who make this the best web site on the internet!

Thank you kindly, Sinistral1, much appreciated! We do our best :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#28 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:09

Ok, appears to be fixed now ....

It was indeed a caching problem, to be exact, a caching time-out problem. :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#29 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:59

Ok, appears to be fixed now ....

It was indeed a caching problem, to be exact, a caching time-out problem. :)

Warm regards, Wim

Yup.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#30 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 14:58

Wim:

As a frequent participant on FPN,  My experience was that the migration was invisible to me as a user of the site.

I do detect greater speed on page loading and other elements of use.

So applause to all that were involved...job well done.

Bill P.

#31 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,552 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 18:46

I do detetc quite a bit of lag on page loading and page that will not load complete leaving the page forever in loading state , and then it would hold socket and would not load any other tab which goto the same domian ( forum section, thread etc ). Sometime pages just will forever leave in WAITING for www. .... .com  state

#32 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:54

Yup.

:)

Warm regards,. Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#33 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:54

Wim:

As a frequent participant on FPN,  My experience was that the migration was invisible to me as a user of the site.

I do detect greater speed on page loading and other elements of use.

So applause to all that were involved...job well done.

Bill P.

Thank you kindly! Much appreciated!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#34 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:56

I do detetc quite a bit of lag on page loading and page that will not load complete leaving the page forever in loading state , and then it would hold socket and would not load any other tab which goto the same domian ( forum section, thread etc ). Sometime pages just will forever leave in WAITING for www. .... .com  state

Please do try clearing your browser cache, temp files, history, cookies, etc. We are on a new server, with a new ip-address for the host, so one's browser may get confused.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#35 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:50

I'm getting the very occasional issue with pages failing to load properly (the same as when I had ads crashing the page).  But now, when I go back a page and then go forward, it's cleared up.

The "unfollow" button seems to mostly be fixed.  But I just had an issue with it not responding.  But then when I went back to the main "View New Content" page and then forward again in one thread just now, the button wasn't there....  :huh:  And then when I went back and tried to go forward it was very sluggish.

OTOH, I had no problem getting to this page.  We'll see what happens when I post, then exit and go forward to unfollow the thread, and if I have a problem I'll add an addendum to this post.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#36 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 23:21

I'm getting the very occasional issue with pages failing to load properly (the same as when I had ads crashing the page).  But now, when I go back a page and then go forward, it's cleared up.

The "unfollow" button seems to mostly be fixed.  But I just had an issue with it not responding.  But then when I went back to the main "View New Content" page and then forward again in one thread just now, the button wasn't there....  :huh:  And then when I went back and tried to go forward it was very sluggish.

OTOH, I had no problem getting to this page.  We'll see what happens when I post, then exit and go forward to unfollow the thread, and if I have a problem I'll add an addendum to this post.

Hi Ruth,

Please clear your browser history, temp files, cache and cookies. That should fix it. We have been making quite a few changes to the server, even this weekend, and that may have confused your browser with whatever it has stored.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#37 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 15,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 21:30

I've done that.  I'm still having a little trouble with the system hanging -- or at leas being sluggish at times -- when I scroll through pages in some threads, but it does seem better.  And clearing the cache did seem to (at least for the moment) stop the occasional page only partially loading.  So fingers crossed....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#38 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 19:02

I've done that.  I'm still having a little trouble with the system hanging -- or at leas being sluggish at times -- when I scroll through pages in some threads, but it does seem better.  And clearing the cache did seem to (at least for the moment) stop the occasional page only partially loading.  So fingers crossed....

Hi Ruth,

Good to hear there is some improvement.

With some browsers for the full effect you may have to clear everything a couple of times, IME.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#39 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 15,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:01

Well so, far, everything seems to be working right today, Wim.  

Thanks for being awesome.  I can't imagine how much work was involved in the migration.

#40 the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:28

It's feeling really good here on the new server.

Thanks so much for putting the work in and making this site better!

petrichor

Sponsored Content

|