Changing Nib On Faber Ambition And Basic

melro

Hello.

i dont use all the much my Faber castell because of the nibs they have , a broad and a medium nib.

I was wondering if i could replace these nibs with more interesting nibs , like a architect or a italic grind nib. i know i'd use them so much more with these nibs.

that being said , is it possible to change these nibs ? if yes , where can i find interesting ones?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• melro

• Bo Bo Olson

• voltron

• senzen

FC doesn't offer architect or italic grind but you can always have a nibmeister work on your nibs to make them what you prefer.

I believe FC use same nibs in Basic, Loom, Ambition, E-Motion & Ondoro which are made by Jowo so it is quite possible that Jowo generic nibs might fit but I am not sure what size.

I understood FC used Bock nibs.

I don't know how fat and blobby they are so it could be turned into architect grind.

Are you sure you want an Italic Grind? That's a sharp paper catching grind, and you will have to hold the pen before the big index knuckle and canted to get all the Italic nib will do.

If you want to hold the pen behind the big index knuckle like a fountain pen, a slightly rounded Italic.....Cursive Italic does well.

Do make sure the nibmeister has a picture of you holding a pen and a sample. CI requires a grind that matches your hold.

If you have real good eyes you could go F on your M, in CI. There are folks that think Euro F is fat. I don't.

I suggest CI M on your B. (Any nib will lose a slight tad of width when changing the pen to CI. ....could be for Stub also.)

Your B could could go architect if it is fat and blobby enough.

First you have to find out if FC is as fat and blobby as modern Pelikan 400/600/800..

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you...I tend to think of them as one company....the company that ruined Osmia!!! :angry: :crybaby:

Bought a major quality name, Osmia in F-C made only a second tier pen, then erased Osmia from the pen with in the decade. (Well guess who has more Osmia or O-F-C pens than FC or GvFC pens.

Well honestly, Osmia would have died in the middle of WW2 time frame....they didn't have an office supply company to support their pens.

Boehler did manage to survive to @ 1970's. The brothers split Osmia in '38.

I've only noticed GvFC :drool: pens at my B&M....could be they carry both, but GcFC is a nail so I've got a nail in each width...so am good to go.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was taking a look at Fountainpennibs.com and they sell Jowo Nibs separately. so , I believe it will be cheaper and faster to buy a new jowo nib there and put on my pens instead of sending them from Brasil to a nibmeister (dont know any here) to regrind.

I'll be fine buying any jowo nib?

My one Ambition has a pretty darned good EF nib, and in general they have a good reputation; it might be a shame to separate the nib from the pen, perhaps better to sell it as it is and get one i the right size for you? They do sell complete nib / feed / sections for about $50 on Amazon US and other places.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My one Ambition has a pretty darned good EF nib, and in general they have a good reputation; it might be a shame to separate the nib from the pen, perhaps better to sell it as it is and get one i the right size for you? They do sell complete nib / feed / sections for about $50 on Amazon US and other places.

I ended up buying a Jowo nib unit with 1.4 italic on fpnibs.

once it arrives i'll post here.

I do like the M nib thats currently on it , but i tend to use more "interesting" nibs, you know ? the good thing is that i can store the stock nib and if i feel like writing with a normal nib again I can just swap it

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of a Faber-Castell Ondoro Orange purchase, and got into a deer in the headlights situation between medium and broad nibs lol. So I contacted F-C on nib swaps and got this response:

Dear Mr. _______:
• Spare parts are exclusive to repair services. They are not sold individually.
• If your Faber-Castell Writing Instrument requires repair, it will need to be returned for assessment. This includes situations where parts have been lost and/or damaged.
• The entire instrument must be returned to ensure proper fittings and functionality. This requirement helps us to keep any repair charges you may incur to a minimum.
• Once the instrument is returned and assessed, a Faber-Castell representative will contact you by phone with an estimate. Repairs will not take place until the owner’s approval is received.
• Service fees include parts and repair handling. No return shipping charges are applied.
• Allow up to 30 business days for complete processing of standard repairs.
• To ensure maximum writing comfort, Faber-Castell Fine Writing Fountain Pen Nibs will be exchanged free of charge within the first 3 months from the date of purchase – provided that the nib being returned is in perfect condition. Faber-Castell USA honors no charge nib exchange services for complete pens, that are returned directly with proof of purchase and/or filled out product guarantee card by a Faber-Castell Authorized Dealer.

• If the request is beyond the 3 month time frame, received without proof of purchase or is not in as-new condition, once the pen is assessed – a representative will contact you with an estimate prior to the work taking place. All estimates are provided by phone.

• Original nibs will not be returned.

• Exchange requests for a nib that is not from the original design and not intended for the pen manufactured by Faber-Castell, will be denied.
Thank you for your interest in Faber-Castell.
Sincerely,