The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Changing Nib On Faber Ambition And Basic

faber castell ambition basic

7 replies to this topic

#1 melro

melro

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 15:35

Hello.

i dont use all the much my Faber castell because of the nibs they have , a broad and a medium nib. 

I was wondering if i could replace these nibs with more interesting nibs , like a architect or a italic grind nib. i know i'd use them so much more with these nibs.

that being said , is it possible to change these nibs ? if yes , where can i find interesting ones?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 voltron

voltron

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 17:57

FC doesn't offer architect or italic grind but you can always have a nibmeister work on your nibs to make them what you prefer.

I believe FC use same nibs  in Basic, Loom, Ambition, E-Motion & Ondoro which are made by Jowo so it is quite possible that Jowo generic nibs might fit but I am not sure what size.

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 19:20

I understood FC used Bock nibs.

I don't know how fat and blobby they are  so it could be turned into architect grind.

Are you sure you want an Italic Grind? That's a sharp paper catching grind, and you will have to hold the pen before the big index knuckle and canted to get all the Italic  nib will do.

If you want to hold the pen behind the big index knuckle like a fountain pen, a slightly rounded Italic.....Cursive Italic does well.

Do make sure the nibmeister has a picture of you holding a pen and a sample. CI requires a grind that matches your hold.

If you have real good eyes you could go F on your M, in CI. There are folks that think Euro F is fat. I don't.

I suggest CI M on your B.  (Any nib will lose a slight tad of width when changing the pen to CI. ....could be for Stub also.)

Your B could could go architect if it is fat and blobby enough.

First you have to find out if FC is as fat and blobby as modern Pelikan 400/600/800..

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 28 February 2019 - 19:34.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 voltron

voltron

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 14:54

FC Nibs are made by Jowo whereas Bock made nibs are used by GvFC

http://danielpi.com/...-who-makes-them

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 17:41

Thank you...I tend to think of them as one company....the company that ruined Osmia!!! :angry: :crybaby: 

Bought a major quality name, Osmia in F-C made only a second tier pen, then erased Osmia from the pen with in the decade. (Well guess who has more Osmia or O-F-C pens than FC or GvFC pens.

Well honestly, Osmia would have died in the middle of WW2 time frame....they didn't have an office supply company to support their pens. 

Boehler did manage to survive to @ 1970's. The brothers split Osmia in '38.

I've only noticed GvFC :drool: pens at my B&M....could be they carry both, but GcFC is a nail so I've got a nail in each width...so am good to go.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#6 melro

melro

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2019 - 14:31

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was taking a look at Fountainpennibs.com and they sell Jowo Nibs separately. so , I believe it will be cheaper and faster to buy a new jowo nib there and put on my pens instead of sending them from Brasil to a nibmeister (dont know any here) to regrind.

I'll be fine buying any jowo nib?

#7 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:27

My one Ambition has a pretty darned good EF nib, and in general they have a good reputation; it might be a shame to separate the nib from the pen, perhaps better to sell it as it is and get one i the right size for you? They do sell complete nib / feed / sections for about $50 on Amazon US and other places.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#8 melro

melro

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 17:34

My one Ambition has a pretty darned good EF nib, and in general they have a good reputation; it might be a shame to separate the nib from the pen, perhaps better to sell it as it is and get one i the right size for you? They do sell complete nib / feed / sections for about $50 on Amazon US and other places.

I ended up buying a Jowo nib unit with 1.4 italic  on fpnibs.

once it arrives i'll post here.

I do like the M nib thats currently on it , but i tend to use more "interesting" nibs, you know ? the good thing is that i can store the stock nib and if i feel like writing with a normal nib again I can just swap it 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber castell, ambition, basic

Sponsored Content

|