Blue/red Super Sheen For A Purple Addict?

Houston

Inky folks:

Looking for advice on choosing an ink. Your help will be greatly appreciated, and *will* result in a purchase!

I’m nuts for purple inks. I’ve got way more of the stuff than is rational. And, until recently, I’d sworn off buying any more, because, really, I’m unlikely to go through my current stock in my lifetime. It’s that bad.

But, now, I’ve decided to break my self-imposed prohibition, because I’m dying to try one (or more) of the super-sheeny inks that have come available in recent years. Other than a few conventional inks that had some sheen as an incidental property, I have never bought an ink with particular sheen.

I have recently been seduced by photos on social media – mostly here and Reddit – that show some marvellous effects from inks designed for sheen. Because of my addiction to purple inks, I’m drawn particularly to the blue/red inks. The ones I’m most familiar with are:

• Diamine Maureen
  • Diamine Skull & Roses
  • Organics Nitrogen
  • Organics Emerson

I’ve read reviews of these inks, and all seem to have puts and takes. But I’m not going to buy four inks to find out for myself. I’m going to buy one…ok, maybe two.

Can you gurus weigh in on which one you’d choose if you applied the following criteria?

• Most noticeable sheen in normal writing, with a med or broad stub nib
  • Dominant apparent colour is purple-y – regardless of the tone of the sheen
  • Flows well – preferring wet and lubricious to dry and finicky. No hard starts
  • Dries *reasonably* quickly. Notably slow-drying inks are off the table. I’m looking for a normal drying time.

…or just let me know what your experience of any one of these inks has been, in relation to these criteria.

Based on the reviews over at mountainofink, I'm leaning toward the Diamine Maureen.

If there's an extant thread that addresses these questions, I apologise for doubling up, and would be grateful for a pointer to it.

So many thanks, in advance.

-- Houston

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Houston

• lgsoltek

• migo984

• amberleadavis

Try Diamine Jalur Gemilang. I was just looking at a swab and writing sample of it in PenGallery's physical store, and by golly that ink is a sheen monster. The sheen is very extensive and spreads evenly across the whole dried surface of the ink, creating a pearlescent effect. I ended up not getting it because I somehow dislike the base colour , but if you find it alright then definitely try it. And yes, the sheen is purplish in tone, I'd say a medium purple-magenta.

Robert Oster Fire & Ice is another ink that impressed me with its sheen. In this case the sheen shows up more around the edges of lines and wetter ink pools, but it's a really bright eye-catching sheen. Reddish purple in colour, as befits the ink's name.

Inky folks:

Looking for advice on choosing an ink. Your help will be greatly appreciated, and *will* result in a purchase!

I’m nuts for purple inks. I’ve got way more of the stuff than is rational. And, until recently, I’d sworn off buying any more, because, really, I’m unlikely to go through my current stock in my lifetime. It’s that bad.

But, now, I’ve decided to break my self-imposed prohibition, because I’m dying to try one (or more) of the super-sheeny inks that have come available in recent years. Other than a few conventional inks that had some sheen as an incidental property, I have never bought an ink with particular sheen.

I have recently been seduced by photos on social media – mostly here and Reddit – that show some marvellous effects from inks designed for sheen. Because of my addiction to purple inks, I’m drawn particularly to the blue/red inks. The ones I’m most familiar with are:

• Diamine Maureen
  • Diamine Skull & Roses
  • Organics Nitrogen
  • Organics Emerson
I’ve read reviews of these inks, and all seem to have puts and takes. But I’m not going to buy four inks to find out for myself. I’m going to buy one…ok, maybe two.

Can you gurus weigh in on which one you’d choose if you applied the following criteria?

• Most noticeable sheen in normal writing, with a med or broad stub nib
  • Dominant apparent colour is purple-y – regardless of the tone of the sheen
  • Flows well – preferring wet and lubricious to dry and finicky. No hard starts
  • Dries *reasonably* quickly. Notably slow-drying inks are off the table. I’m looking for a normal drying time.
…or just let me know what your experience of any one of these inks has been, in relation to these criteria.

Based on the reviews over at mountainofink, I'm leaning toward the Diamine Maureen.

If there's an extant thread that addresses these questions, I apologise for doubling up, and would be grateful for a pointer to it.

So many thanks, in advance.

-- Houston

Hi Houston,

Re your criteria, you will find a problem with most super-sheening inks with regard to drying tines. Because of the type, and extent, of the dye-load they do tend to be slower drying and also can be smeary, often several days/week’s after writing. This is, of course, paper and pen dependent.

From your profile flag I assume you are UK based? I am in the UK too and have all the inks you are interested in. So if you are in the UK, if you send me a PM with your postal details I’d gladly send you a sample of each to try. That way you can judge them for yourself :-)

Ps

I have quite a few other blue inks with high sheen, but many are more difficult to obtain over here. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, I’m assuming you may not be as interested in them as those that are more readily available.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'm having trouble understanding what colour it is that you want. From the title I thought you were looking for a purple with blue or red sheen, then I read "Dominant apparent colour is purple-y – regardless of the tone of the sheen". Then KLscribbler and migo suggested blue inks... I'm confused...

I'm having trouble understanding what colour it is that you want. From the title I thought you were looking for a purple with blue or red sheen, then I read "Dominant apparent colour is purple-y – regardless of the tone of the sheen". Then KLscribbler and migo suggested blue inks... I'm confused...

A very fair question, Lgsoltek. And I think you're right that I've unintentionally confused the matter with my description.

Most of the sheening inks I've seen that render purple characteristics, visually, are actually blue inks that sheen red. I am simply unfamiliar with purple inks that sheen blue or red. Being the professed purple addict that I am, I'd certainly be open to them, so long as the visual impact is considerably different than a good, standard purple.

So, if you've got ideas that venture past the strict edge of how I've phrased the question, I'm game!

Thanks!

Try Diamine Jalur Gemilang. I was just looking at a swab and writing sample of it in PenGallery's physical store, and by golly that ink is a sheen monster. The sheen is very extensive and spreads evenly across the whole dried surface of the ink, creating a pearlescent effect. I ended up not getting it because I somehow dislike the base colour , but if you find it alright then definitely try it. And yes, the sheen is purplish in tone, I'd say a medium purple-magenta.

Robert Oster Fire & Ice is another ink that impressed me with its sheen. In this case the sheen shows up more around the edges of lines and wetter ink pools, but it's a really bright eye-catching sheen. Reddish purple in colour, as befits the ink's name.

Would try it if I were in Malaysia and could lay my hands on some!

Hi Houston,

Re your criteria, you will find a problem with most super-sheening inks with regard to drying tines. Because of the type, and extent, of the dye-load they do tend to be slower drying and also can be smeary, often several days/week’s after writing. This is, of course, paper and pen dependent.

From your profile flag I assume you are UK based? I am in the UK too and have all the inks you are interested in. So if you are in the UK, if you send me a PM with your postal details I’d gladly send you a sample of each to try. That way you can judge them for yourself :-)

Ps

I have quite a few other blue inks with high sheen, but many are more difficult to obtain over here. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, I’m assuming you may not be as interested in them as those that are more readily available.

migo984: Thank you very much for the informed and informative reply. One of the things I love about FPN is the wealth of *practical* knowledge our members have, in addition to book learnin'.

I was aware of the drying time issues these inks carry, by definition, from reading reviews. But your reiteration was helpful. Dye loads are, as I imagine you know better than me, often a problem with purple inks more broadly, although they can be overcome with both careful selection and careful tampering. I've found that relatively small differences in drying times can completely change my experience of different inks on a given paper. So, rather than restrain my hopes of enjoying the pleasures of sheen, because of their slow-drying misbehaviour, I've decided to try to find the best compromise, and see if it gets me into workable territory.

To that end, your very generous offer is a huge boon. Thank you. I am in Oxfordshire, and shall PM you, shortly. Already doing a little happy dance in anticipation. We'll have to work out some way I can return the favour. Ever tried Russian purple ink?

Houston

In my experience the sheen on purple inks is often golden, and sometimes green. I don't think I've seen a purple ink with blue or red sheen.

Purple with gold sheen -- not shimmer -- would be fun to try. What do you recommend?

Not as interested in green sheen, however.

Purple with gold sheen -- not shimmer -- would be fun to try. What do you recommend?

My favourites are: Lamy Dark Lilac, Sailor Joyful-2 Ikaho Magenta, Iroshizuku Tsutsuji (pink) and Yama-budo. Sadly the first two are unobtainium now...

migo984: Thank you very much for the informed and informative reply. One of the things I love about FPN is the wealth of *practical* knowledge our members have, in addition to book learnin'.

I was aware of the drying time issues these inks carry, by definition, from reading reviews. But your reiteration was helpful. Dye loads are, as I imagine you know better than me, often a problem with purple inks more broadly, although they can be overcome with both careful selection and careful tampering. I've found that relatively small differences in drying times can completely change my experience of different inks on a given paper. So, rather than restrain my hopes of enjoying the pleasures of sheen, because of their slow-drying misbehaviour, I've decided to try to find the best compromise, and see if it gets me into workable territory.

To that end, your very generous offer is a huge boon. Thank you. I am in Oxfordshire, and shall PM you, shortly. Already doing a little happy dance in anticipation. We'll have to work out some way I can return the favour. Ever tried Russian purple ink?

Houston

It is always a bit of an adventure, trying to select the next exciting ink to buy :) Trying them for yourself is the best way of course. I’ve replied to your PM and will send the samples of the inks you’re interested ink asap :)

I love purple inks too. Some of my favourites are the sadly discontinued S T Dupont Violet, BungBox L’Amant, Pure Pens Flower of Scotland, Joyful-2 Purple Heart, Pen & Message Yamano Grass, Lamy Dark Lilac (I mix a doppelgänger nowadays, to preserve my few bottles), and good old Waterman Tender Purple. So many varieties - we are really spoilt for choice! I’m very fond of the Japanese magenta-hued inks too, like Sankodo Tokugawa enbotan (a rare one and one bottle I guard with fervour lol)

I haven’t tried Russian purples! Sound interesting.

It is always a bit of an adventure, trying to select the next exciting ink to buy :) Trying them for yourself is the best way of course. I’ve replied to your PM and will send the samples of the inks you’re interested ink asap :)

I love purple inks too. Some of my favourites are the sadly discontinued S T Dupont Violet, BungBox L’Amant, Pure Pens Flower of Scotland, Joyful-2 Purple Heart, Pen & Message Yamano Grass, Lamy Dark Lilac (I mix a doppelgänger nowadays, to preserve my few bottles), and good old Waterman Tender Purple. So many varieties - we are really spoilt for choice! I’m very fond of the Japanese magenta-hued inks too, like Sankodo Tokugawa enbotan (a rare one and one bottle I guard with fervour lol)

I haven’t tried Russian purples! Sound interesting.

I adore Bungubox L'Amant, and the old Waterman Tender Purple. When I find an ink I love, I just write, write, write, without regard for the possibility that it's an ephemeral indulgence. When ink is gone, it's gone.

I'm half Aussie, so I've also become intrigued by the Blackstone and Oster inks, neither of which I've tried. But the Blackstone Sydney Harbour and Barrier Reef inks both look to be blue sheeners. God help me.

Thanks, again, a'migo!

I adore Bungubox L'Amant, and the old Waterman Tender Purple. When I find an ink I love, I just write, write, write, without regard for the possibility that it's an ephemeral indulgence. When ink is gone, it's gone.

I'm half Aussie, so I've also become intrigued by the Blackstone and Oster inks, neither of which I've tried. But the Blackstone Sydney Harbour and Barrier Reef inks both look to be blue sheeners. God help me.

Thanks, again, a'migo!

Ah, my partner is an Aussie and we split our time between UK and Aus for the past 4 years. So I stocked up with Oster and Blackstone when I was over there.

I’m one very lucky bunny to get the chance to live in 2 such beautiful countries, so far apart :)

Ah, my partner is an Aussie and we split our time between UK and Aus for the past 4 years. So I stocked up with Oster and Blackstone when I was over there.

I’m one very lucky bunny to get the chance to live in 2 such beautiful countries, so far apart :)

Lucky you! I'm an Aussie-Yank, and my beloved is an Aussie-Brit, but we haven't lived in either the US or Australia for the last 20 years.

Sadly, the Blackstone inks are all but out of stock at BureauDirect, their only UK retailer. I've emailed Blackstone to see if I can get some shipped over, as I have a wedding anniversary coming soon, and my bride would delight in their bush-scented inks as an anniversary gift.

Lucky you! I'm an Aussie-Yank, and my beloved is an Aussie-Brit, but we haven't lived in either the US or Australia for the last 20 years.

Sadly, the Blackstone inks are all but out of stock at BureauDirect, their only UK retailer. I've emailed Blackstone to see if I can get some shipped over, as I have a wedding anniversary coming soon, and my bride would delight in their bush-scented inks as an anniversary gift.

Sadly BureauDirect is gone... (see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342675-bureau-direct-is-gone/) Edited by Lgsoltek

If you can find a bottle, KWZI Chicago Blue LE has a tremendous amount of red sheen. Unfortunately, it may be unavailable at this point (it was made specifically for the Chicago Pen Show a couple of years ago -- the show organizers had a table at another pen show and I was able to get a bottle then).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh noes! You're gonna miss out on Cross Violet.

You may find this page helpful

Wow, a lot of beauties there! Thanks for the link.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Shigure?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OH and as a purple addict.... I got to try out Blackstone's new Lemur Purple, it is so dark it looks black. I love it. OH, and check out the purple thread in the signature line below.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY