The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Sheaffer Models

vintage flex nibs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 penman88

penman88

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:49

i have been looking at alot of vintage sheaffer pens, i want to get a 14k flex nib, is there anyone who knows the models that have the flexible nibs? or any specific questions to ask seller/ things to look for?

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny 

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:59

Sheaffer was better known for coming up with a nib that anyone could use, i.e.firm nibs, so flex isn't as common as it is with say Watermans.  The earlier pens are more likely, then flat tops, less with Balance, even less common with Triumph nib pens, though they do exist.  I've even seen one or two flex snorkels.  After that, even fewer.   Expect to pay a premium price for a flex Sheaffer nib.

I'm sure that Jim M (the Sheaffer forum moderator) could have a more detailed response, or maybe Roger Wooten.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 penman88

penman88

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 23:15

oh ok thank you so much for the help!

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny 

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:16

Ron's pretty much right.  Nibs before they went to the lifetime in 1920 can show more flex generally.  I've found a few flex Imperials and that is an inlaid nib!  A lot of makers back in the teens will have flex more regularly than any other time.  Sheaffer killed this with the lifetime as it is a guarantee that they did not wish to honor if they could help it.

Roger W.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, flex, nibs

Sponsored Content

|