Looking For Fountain Pen Unfriendly Paper

Shockbeton

Hi, I love drawing on newsprint paper which feathers and soaks up ink in glorious globs whenever I stop moving the pen for an instant. But of course newsprint is not archival and turns yellow. Is there an acid free newsprint-like paper? I've looked but have not found such a thing. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• amberleadavis

• OCArt

• zephyrdeluxe

Maybe Japanese rice paper from an art store, or try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbant.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Newspaper is basically paper with high content of recycled pulp. You can find cheap recycled paper in most dollar stores.

Have you tried construction paper in school supplies and/or craft stores?

Edited by VillersCotterets

Rives BFK comes to mind. t will be significantly thicker than newsprint, though. Youll find it in the printmaking papers section of most larger art stores or campus art supply shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Look for Acid Free - and Recycled paper. That should get you what you need.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Newspaper style, acid free...? Moleskine says it's acid free...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Rives BFK single weight may work. You want a soft paper, maybe try a sheet of Titziano - not as soft as newsprint but i remember fighting with it mote than with a laid paper.

I have some Crains laid in 22 x 32(?) that might work. - but a bought it at a sale and dont know its soecifics.

*Try handmade paper from India - there is one available widely with a soft surface but thicker than newsprint. The name escapes me. Koffi paper may work although it is stiff. Hemp paper may work.

*I could not find the name but it comes in packs of 20-25 sheets approx 8 x 10 or 9 x 12. It has a deckle edge and comes in white and tones.

Good luck. Interesting project. Stay away from newsprint, it is horrid stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try blotting paper. I bought a sheet of it recently from Jackson's drawing supplies and was suprised it just seems like a really soft and absorbent paper. Coming from there I bet it's acid free. I have other cheap watercolour paper that bleeds like crazy, but the colours go a bit dull from it.

Try Muji if you have one nearby, some of their pads are very absorbent. I had an A3 and it was a lot like newspaper paper, they also stock proper sketch books. Also some of their notebooks are very fp unfriendly, that tends to be trial and error.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's acid-free, but you could try the Daiso Rakugaki A5 Sketch Pad.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 4 weeks later...

Watercolor papers soaks up ink very very well. Try to get Hot press(HP) as surface quality, it is much smoother. But they are expensive, but sure acid-free and archival.

try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbent....

No..it is a feather king, in it absorbs fountain pen ink too fast.............

...........I do like two toned shading inks...which needs 90g paper, preferably laser.

Moleskine is very expensive lousy paper....great for ball points only.

There are lots of different Art Papers talk to someone in an Art Shop..............Art Papers are not good for fountain pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Standard sketching paper seems to be what you look for. It's smooth, not very expensive, and soaks ink like hell. I used to use Canson a lot and liked it.

try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbent....

No..it is a feather king, in it absorbs fountain pen ink too fast.............

...........I do like two toned shading inks...which needs 90g paper, preferably laser.

Moleskine is very expensive lousy paper....great for ball points only.

There are lots of different Art Papers talk to someone in an Art Shop..............Art Papers are not good for fountain pens.

Eh, Energels don't do too bad on them either. But they are really crappy for FPs, definitely.