The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Looking For Fountain Pen Unfriendly Paper

paper ink feathering

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shockbeton

Shockbeton

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:00

Hi, I love drawing on newsprint paper which feathers and soaks up ink in glorious globs whenever I stop moving the pen for an instant. But of course newsprint is not archival and turns yellow. Is there an acid free newsprint-like paper? I've looked but have not found such a thing. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:23

Maybe Japanese rice paper from an art store, or try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbant.

#3 VillersCotterets

VillersCotterets

18782 (いやなやつ)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:54

Newspaper is basically paper with high content of recycled pulp. You can find cheap recycled paper in most dollar stores. 

Have you tried construction paper in school supplies and/or craft stores?

Edited by VillersCotterets, 28 February 2019 - 13:21.

#4 zephyrdeluxe

zephyrdeluxe

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 13:51

Rives BFK comes to mind. t will be significantly thicker than newsprint, though. Youll find it in the printmaking papers section of most larger art stores or campus art supply shops.

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 18:12

Look for Acid Free - and Recycled paper. That should get you what you need.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#6 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 18:59

Newspaper style, acid free...? Moleskine says it's acid free...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#7 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:22

Rives BFK single weight may work. You want a soft paper, maybe try a sheet of Titziano - not as soft as newsprint but i remember fighting with it mote than with a laid paper.
I have some Crains laid in 22 x 32(?) that might work. - but a bought it at a sale and dont know its soecifics.
*Try handmade paper from India - there is one available widely with a soft surface but thicker than newsprint. The name escapes me. Koffi paper may work although it is stiff. Hemp paper may work.
*I could not find the name but it comes in packs of 20-25 sheets approx 8 x 10 or 9 x 12. It has a deckle edge and comes in white and tones.
Good luck. Interesting project. Stay away from newsprint, it is horrid stuff.

#8 Chaos-incarnate

Chaos-incarnate

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 14:33

You could try blotting paper. I bought a sheet of it recently from Jackson's drawing supplies and was suprised it just seems like a really soft and absorbent paper. Coming from there I bet it's acid free. I have other cheap watercolour paper that bleeds like crazy, but the colours go a bit dull from it.

#9 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 15:28

Try Muji if you have one nearby, some of their pads are very absorbent. I had an A3 and it was a lot like newspaper paper, they also stock proper sketch books. Also some of their notebooks are very fp unfriendly, that tends to be trial and error.

Al

#10 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:27

I don't know if it's acid-free, but you could try the Daiso Rakugaki A5 Sketch Pad

I'm a fountain pen enthusiast, but not your consultant (as a fellow consumer) to advise on getting better value-for-money from your discretionary spending or protecting your investment in the hobby. I like to share the particularly meritorious or disappointing traits of products I've used, through product reviews and replies to others' posts, but please don't expect (or ask) me to frame things specifically in terms of how it would apply to your choice of pens, inks and paper products, or satisfy your preferences for shading, sheen, wet, broad, cheap, et cetera.

#11 Inksomnia

Inksomnia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:23

Watercolor papers soaks up ink very very well. Try to get Hot press(HP) as surface quality, it is much smoother. But they are expensive, but sure acid-free and archival.

#12 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 13:29

try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbent....

No..it is a feather king, in it absorbs fountain pen ink too fast.............

...........I do like two toned shading inks...which needs 90g paper, preferably laser.

Moleskine is very expensive lousy paper....great for ball points only.

There are lots of different Art Papers talk to someone in an Art Shop..............Art Papers are not good for fountain pens.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#13 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2019 - 00:06

Standard sketching paper seems to be what you look for. It's smooth, not very expensive, and soaks ink like hell. I used to use Canson a lot and liked it.

#14 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2019 - 13:27

try ink-jet paper, it's designed to be very absorbent....
No..it is a feather king, in it absorbs fountain pen ink too fast.............
...........I do like two toned shading inks...which needs 90g paper, preferably laser.

Moleskine is very expensive lousy paper....great for ball points only.

There are lots of different Art Papers talk to someone in an Art Shop..............Art Papers are not good for fountain pens.

Eh, Energels don't do too bad on them either. But they are really crappy for FPs, definitely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paper, ink, feathering

Sponsored Content

|