The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kobe #45 And #49 - Two Stone Greens

kobe kitano hachibuse kobe #45 kobe #49 grey-green

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 21:02

I ordered a sample of #49 alongside my bottle of #45, just to check it out.

Both are rich, complex inks, but #45 is so severe that, if you're looking for a Grey-green, #49 might be an option worth looking at?

Here's to mysteries worth exploring!

fpn_1550955586__kobe_stone_greens_ii.jpg

fpn_1550955635__kobe_stone_greens.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 21:12

Thanks for this excellent comparison. "Complex" is the right word for sure, but IYAM, that term applies to both of these gems.   :)   :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 18:46

So I loaded my sample of #49 into a Fountain Pen and was surprised to find it closer to #28 than #45. The shading is comparable (= magnificent) but the underlying tone of #49 is more grey and sombre - #28 has a gorgeous lush quality from the yellow green showing through the dark.

Simple handwriting comparisons were not enough to show the differences, but the paintbrush made everything clearer!

If anyone wants to add #1, #15 or #34 alongside, that would be great!

fpn_1551033494__kobe_stone_greens_iv.jpg

fpn_1551033806__kobe_stone_greens_iii.jp

N.B. No botanical or geographic research whatever went into this post!

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 19:10

Wonderful comparison! Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#5 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 23:08

Thank you for taking the time to share! 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#6 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:57

Here's Jenny in Kobe #45:
fpn_1561600323__jenny_june_19.jpg

#7 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:01

Well it's a year on and both of these inks have been in constant use and are still intriguing.
#49 Kitano Olive (which is NOT what I would call olive!) quickly became my first "EveryDay Carry" - my daily drab! On it's own it's amazingly neutral, neither cool, nor warm, yellow nor blue, not even really reading as obviously green = boring! But it makes a great backdrop for just about anything else!

#45 - what is this? Looks great in my Duke 51 Fude nib, and lives in a Lamy with a 1.9 stub, but is this anything more than "not black"?

So I finally succumbed to Miruai. Blue-Green is not an easy territory for me, but I was given a blue-green pen (Conklin Duragraph - still don't know who gave it to me!). Verdigris is lovely, but I don't reach for it. Dark Reseda Green ditto. Miruai seems to be a more saturated Dark Reseda Green - not sure yet if I will reach for this either, but it does have an interesting relationship with Kobe #45 Hachibuse - which in contrast appears green, and Birmingham Pens' Rachel Carson, the only blue (=Teal) I seem to use (it's dirty and green/grey!), which reveals Miruai to be green!
Possibly unfathomable, but interesting to explore!

fpn_1574045020__dark_greens_fall_19_b.jp
fpn_1574044995__dark_greens_fall_19_a.jp

#8 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:41

Still intrigued! Comparisons here are Noodlers' El Lawrence, which is waterproof, and KWZ's Hunter - which is, to me, a very cool brown. For watercolor and brush work the Kobe is very appealing (but my new fude pen was, after three months of waiting, misdelivered - what country is this!)
fpn_1597109798__kobe_45_again.jpg

#9 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:26

Still intrigued! Comparisons here are Noodlers' El Lawrence, which is waterproof, and KWZ's Hunter - which is, to me, a very cool brown. For watercolor and brush work the Kobe is very appealing (but my new fude pen was, after three months of waiting, misdelivered - what country is this!)

So the rightmost swatch is KWZ Hunter?  I never quite trust my monitor, but that looks like my kind of color.

What fude pen is taking so long to reach you?

#10 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 20:23

So the rightmost swatch is KWZ Hunter?  I never quite trust my monitor, but that looks like my kind of color.

What fude pen is taking so long to reach you?

Dear ENewton,

Well, I wrote you a reply that was worthy of Hemmingway, but the blue screen of death appeared just as I was completing the last gruesome couplet re. my battle with the US Postal Service (have you tried to use them recently?! Utter madness in what was once a first-world country!). Nothing remains but these two images:

fpn_1597174942__two_dark_and_cool_browns

Inspired by you, Sailor Fude De Mannen 55 (I love it) and 40 (I find tricky, but determined to keep at it!)

fpn_1597176647__secondaries_-_two_only.j

I also have my original Duke 51, which my nephew sent me and am currently fighting with the USPS dragon to attain my Sailor Profit, wich is like a 1911 but 1/7 of the price with the 55 fude nib in a pocketable pen, I think?

Best wishes to you!

p.s. If these are not violet enough, you could try Noodlers' Nightshade as a purple brown (the purple equivalent of "Hunter Green" above, but with some curious properties), or for a purple grey I've always meant to pick up a sample of Robert Oster's Charcoal. I have and appreciate Sailor Chu Shu, but it's just too solemn for everyday use!
Whenever I visit Kinokuniya I rummage through the Kobe Inks for Suma Purple, but haven't found it yet! 

Edited by pgcauk, 11 August 2020 - 20:25.

#11 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:33

Dear ENewton,

Well, I wrote you a reply that was worthy of Hemmingway, but the blue screen of death appeared just as I was completing the last gruesome couplet re. my battle with the US Postal Service (have you tried to use them recently?! Utter madness in what was once a first-world country!). Nothing remains but these two images:

fpn_1597174942__two_dark_and_cool_browns

Inspired by you, Sailor Fude De Mannen 55 (I love it) and 40 (I find tricky, but determined to keep at it!)

fpn_1597176647__secondaries_-_two_only.j

I also have my original Duke 51, which my nephew sent me and am currently fighting with the USPS dragon to attain my Sailor Profit, wich is like a 1911 but 1/7 of the price with the 55 fude nib in a pocketable pen, I think?

Best wishes to you!

p.s. If these are not violet enough, you could try Noodlers' Nightshade as a purple brown (the purple equivalent of "Hunter Green" above, but with some curious properties), or for a purple grey I've always meant to pick up a sample of Robert Oster's Charcoal. I have and appreciate Sailor Chu Shu, but it's just too solemn for everyday use!
Whenever I visit Kinokuniya I rummage through the Kobe Inks for Suma Purple, but haven't found it yet! 

I've been wary of Noodlers but might try Nightshade at some point.  As for Charcoal, it looks nice in the swatches, but the Oster purples I've tried turn an unattractive green on the papers that I use most often, and according to nahmesroom's review, Charcoal partakes of that same quality:

http://www.fountainp...ature-charcoal/

I bought my Suma Purple from Van Ness.  I, too, checked Kinokuniya first, because I like to patronize brick-and-mortar stores when I can, but they didn't have it.

I hope that your travails with the postal service will soon come to a satisfactory end. 

#12 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 13:06

Thanks ENewton, you really are the "go to" on purples! I absolutely wouldn't recommend the Nightshade for its properties (smearing!), but the idea of a brown-purple is an interesting one (?) that it would be nice to see well executed?
Thanks for the pointer to nahmesrooms review, which is thorough enough that I don't feel the need for a sample now. The only review I can find of the Kobe Suma is Visvamitras, which shows it very dark indeed!
Did you ever try L'Artisan Pastellier's Cassis?
I am onto my second bottle of Scabiosa, which I still find captivating, with either Oster's Sydney Lavender (which I call "Pewter"), or Summer Storm (which I call " Soft Snow of Australia") on the blue flank and Claret (which I call "Hollyhock" or "Mauve") on the red side.
I obviously have issues with the way Robert Oster names his inks!

#13 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,135 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:09

! I absolutely wouldn't recommend the Nightshade for its properties (smearing!), but the idea of a brown-purple is an interesting one (?) that it would be nice to see well executed?

Maybe it's time for a brown-purple thread.  Probably no two people will have the same idea of what fits into that category, but no matter. 

#14 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 20:06

Maybe it's time for a brown-purple thread.  Probably no two people will have the same idea of what fits into that category, but no matter. 

We have some cross overs with the Violets and we had a whole discussion with the color Caput Mortuum (Mummy Brown). 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kobe, kitano, hachibuse, kobe #45, kobe #49, grey-green

Sponsored Content

|