Parker 75 Repair And Cleaning Question/issue

djmaher

I've just obtained my 1st Parker 75. Gold-filled, cross-hatch pattern. Pretty decent condition. Kind of a lovely pen, really. Heavy.

Anyway, two things.

The pen was inked, who knows how long ago. And, of course, it's now dried out, so it's cleaning and soaking time. Empty, attached cart is Parker Super Quink Permanent Blue.

Soaking the section, for a couple of days, in plain water, has yielded next to no ink. Soaking now in water with a drop or two of Dawn. Nothing yet. Either the pen has no residual dried ink in it, or the ink has turned to cement, and I'm screwed. LOL

I am not at all familiar with Super Quink Permanent inks, and what happens if they dry in a pen, which I'm kind of assuming has happened. Hopefully someone here can give me reasonably good news.

I have read that section disassembly with a 75 can be fraught at times, but, I have no intention, for now, to do that, like I might with a 45. Basically, I want to soften the old ink enough to remove the nib'feed assembly, soak more, gently clean, and reassemble and test write, to see what I have. Will proceed from there.

Secondly, the nib was rotated 45 degrees from "0" point. I have no idea why. That would be a REALLY weird writing position. LOL Nib seems intact, but, I cannot tell if someone maybe made an attempt to remove the nib for some reason. Hoping the feed is not damaged internally. Anyway, absent the nib angle "adjustment" tool, which I don't have, can you remove or move the nib much like you would with a Pelikan nib, by cradling it within the crease of a finger and gently rotating or wiggling it? Or, when you remove it, is it a grasp and gently pull sort of thing? Again, never done it, but I'd like to remove it so the cleaning solution can get in there a little better. I'm NOT going to disassemble the nib/feed assembly. Maybe take a toothbrush and brass shim to it, gently.

Suggestions for starting and getting me a little further down the road would be appreciated.

I'm supposing that this would have been a good reason to have an ultrasonic bath, but, I don't at present. I can see one in my future. Suggestions about that also appreciated, and a subject for another discussion. Links also appreciated. :)

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djmaher

• FarmBoy

• OCArt

• Pentode

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you are familiar with Li-tah Wong's excellent Parker75.com website, it's well worth a look for us P75 fans. (I also like the P45 a lot!) None of my three P75's came with the nib adjustment tool, I think only the early models did. So, as you said, I just gently rotate by hand. If you saw no trace of ink in the soaking water maybe there isn't any. I'd try blowing water through the nib with a rubber bulb and then a test fill of ink. Maybe all is well already.

I do find my 75's to be dry writers so that may affect your choice of inks. Have fun!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Everything seems intact. The pen looks suspiciously never, or very lightly used. Like, maybe, that cart was the 1st and only ink in the pen. Maybe. OK, not complaining... LOL

It has a #66 nib, which I understand is a M nib. Pen is Made in USA. It seems to be a desirable nib, but, I don't know why, yet. Not written with it. Is it, indeed a special nib? Or, did they just use the numerical designation to somehow differentiate country of manufacture or something? Just curious as to the history of the numbering system.. I love knowing the history of decisions like that.

I will probably floss the nib gently, but, that's about it. Reset it to the "0" angle, and write away. Has anyone used a different angle for more comfortable writing? Another thing I'm curious about.

Thanks again for the link, BTW. I find I need to use the dreaded Edge browser for the frames to work correctly. Not sure why....

Edited by djmaher

You might try a very dilute amonia flush to unseat dried ink. Use clear amonia only and dilute at least 10:1 with water. I usually dilute even a little bit more.

Try flushing it through the pen with a rubber bulb and then follow with lots of water.

If youre considering soaking in the amonia solution, Ill mention that Ive heard of amonia affecting certain plated parts although Ive never experienced that myself.

Avoid soaking a 75 section in an ammonia solution.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The grip is a has indentations 'guiding' you to a hand position, you then turn the nib unit for best contact with the paper. Mine is adjusted by 5-10 degrees. See below:

fpn_1550991703__parker75.jpg

[...much snipped] Has anyone used a different angle for more comfortable writing? Another thing I'm curious about.

Thanks again for the link, BTW. I find I need to use the dreaded Edge browser for the frames to work correctly. Not sure why....

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

You can remove the nib attached to the feeder just gently pulling the nib and feeder out from section, by hand, turning it left and right to help the extraction.

Nib and feeder are attached together, not 2 separate parts.

Avoid soaking a 75 section in an ammonia solution.

FarmBoy,

Thank you for the good advice. If someone has given that advice before, I totally missed it.

Is it the nib that the ammonia attacks, or the section/collector? Or, both? Does it apply to most pens, or primarily older pens, like the 75 and 45?

I've seen the photos of some 75 sections turning white ish after soaking. Is that what happens to them, and, is it recoverable?

Finally, do you have a suggestion as to cleaning an old pen, that the ink has dried out in over a period of years? Or, are we mostly talking patient soaking flushing and trying to write out the old ink?

BTW, I've been able to clean and re-ink this pen, and it looks to be just fine. It's kind of amazing how smooth the old Parker gold nibs are, even on most of my 45s. Even the needle-like EFs.

Thank you for your timely help and advice.

Edited by djmaher

Ammonia attacks most metals. I have seen the metal rings corrode after being soaked.

Usually the polymers are ammonia safe.

The white bloom is likely a plasticizer or mold release compound coming out of the plastic. You can wipe it of but you can't put it back in.

FB

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.