I have bought three framed Waterman:

PSF

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/Waterman_PSF1.jpg

Regular, cone type

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/Waterman_Regular_cone_type1.jpg

Safety

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/Waterman_Safety.jpg

Question1:

Would you say these models are more 1910 or 1920?

Question 2:

Who could give me the parts name for the Safety?

Thanks.

- The only imaginative fiction being written today is income tax returns -

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francois_uk

• GlenV

• FarmBoy

• sidthecat

Of course I’d vandalize the things and see how many functional pens could be made from the bits.

You would significantly lower the overall value by doing so.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have found a 1917 advert from the then French importer (Kirby) mentioning the exact same pens.

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/1917_kirby_safety.jpg

This would suggest that my trio probably date from the same period, i.e. 1910's.

From what I know of the framed pens, they came from a pen shop that closed down in the 70's and they were reframed in the early 90's.

Edited by Francois_uk

One does want to write with the things...

So buy a pen not advertising.

These are hard to find. Not to mention the pens are not complete and they can be expensive.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

As you mention reframed in 90's, perhaps using conservation type mat (?), however there's a couple of marks that suggest some time in damp environment. You may wish to inquire if acid-free remounting that considers material longevity, (HR, metal), UV glass, replaceable absorption packets is appropriate. Also displayed on a no direct light location.

Thanks. Two are being reframed as I speak.

Thanks. I'll retake some pics once I have all three back home, cleaned and reframed.

Those are really cool. Probably the self filling type is after 1917 or so looking in the catalogs similar safety and "regular " eye dropper are in the catalogs for quite a long stretch of time. If they are from the same time the self filler may help to clarify date...(?)

The safety views showing parts and cutaway views are so cool. Got to love it.

Regards, Glen

The catalogs also show different later style imprint and lack of any clipless pens by 1925.. Not sure if this is helpful...all the pens illustrated in the 1925 catalog have either a clip cap or ringtop..so date range on self filler probably c1918-c1922 it looks like by this to me not really exact date though

Regards, Glen

The earlier date may be off by a few years if says PSf on barrel end though (the nib size looks like 2-4 visually?)

Regards, Glen

Thanks Glen. I will look into your suggestions once I have time to take macro pictures of the nib, etc.

You have a really cool find there, sorry for my poorly stated replies, the safety and regular pen could be earlier but it looks like the lever box came out about 1915 kind of makes sense since Sheaffers lever came out about 1913. Fun stuff.

Regards, Glen

The PSF and Cone type are still being reframed but I managed to get these pictures from the safety. No number underneath.

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/safety1.jpg

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/safety2.jpg

http://www.chezrossi.net/pen/safety3.jpg

That looks like a 2 nib, top of the 2 visible under New York. Regarding the imprint I'm not sure the exact time this imprint came out, early though, and was used for several years though up until the mid 20's. Someone may give better info on that. These are a cool display piece.

Edited by GlenV

Regards, Glen