Damascus, Gold And Silver

Pierre---

This is the last one from the workshop. I used black ebonite, silver and real grey gold leaves, as well as silver and 23K gold powders, and mother-of-pearl dots. The Damascus clip shows a mother-of-pearl cabochon I turned. #6 Jowo nib and a bright varnish to highlight the deep black color of the ebonite.

The raindrop Damascus gave me decoration ideas. Mother-of-pearl seemed a nice equivalent for the drops, and the erratic pattern of the steel inspired me for laying silver, titanium and gold lines on the ebonite.

Thanks for your comments and critics.

50879340_762218754147591_316240981618642

50843349_762219937480806_737718561459404

51102476_762221114147355_399218191133730

Edited by Pierre---

Etsy Web shop: Rue du Stylo

Instagram: Rue du Stylo

Pinterest: Rue du Stylo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Pierre---

• PAKMAN

• SoulSamurai

A beautiful pen. I would prefer a clip without the MOP cabochon. The rest of the pen is very attractive. My compliments on your successful efforts.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Very nice! Congrats on making such a wonderful pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I didn't really notice before, but I was taking a second look and realised that the pattern on the body where it meets the section fits fairly well both with the section AND with the cap! That is pretty amazing! How much work did that take?

Thanks for your kind words, gentlemen.

I didn't really notice before, but I was taking a second look and realised that the pattern on the body where it meets the section fits fairly well both with the section AND with the cap! That is pretty amazing! How much work did that take?

It was fun to draw the patterns with a good fit. But I did not really manage, because the cap threads are triple-starts, so the fit is not always there... I am working on another design that would fit every time.

Making the pen took quite a lot of work :). Preparing the project took a long time, I spent days to draw on paper before deciding the final pattern and the techniques to be used. Then of course I had to turn the ebonite, to prepare the room for the clip, to cut the three different threads. The clip took some time to make (from a knife-maker offcut), but much less than the gilding: applying the metal in leaf or powder form, varnishing, letting it dry, applying more metal, varnishing and so on several times.... Inserting mother-of-pearl dots with five different diameters is not a quick process either. At the end, applying lacquer (with drying times) and polishing it to a high shine is rather time-consuming, even if it is routine work for many pens.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW WOW WOW

That pen is impressive.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 11 months later...

OH NO where are the pictures?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Gone with the wind it seems. Here they are again:

Clip Bis _U1A0355.jpg

Bis _U1A0361.jpg

Bis _U1A0343.jpg

I just love these. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Drooling again.

Love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!