How Badly Worn Is This English 51 Broad Nib?

wallnot

post-146377-0-00351700-1550758041_thumb.jpgpost-146377-0-98312600-1550758049_thumb.jpg

Should I have it replaced? It writes *very* smoothly, but the sweet spot is a little smaller than it should be because of the flat part.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fermata

• wallnot

• pajaro

• TimeoDanaos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is a standard, medium nib then it has l lost all its tipping hasnt it?

It can be improved by smoothing of course.

Perhaps we can see the view from the top of the nib please, italics have the outline from your pic

Hi Parkette,

Here are pictures of the top and bottom of the nib, as well as a writing sample.

I bought this pen from a well-respected seller. I'm wondering whether I should bring the nib wear up with him. I've already sent the pen back to him for work once, and I feel bad doing it again when I should have caught this the first time around. It writes nicely, and there seems to be some tipping material left, but because the nib is worn flat it is very difficult to keep it in the sweet spot.

Thanks for your help.

post-146377-0-33159000-1550763818_thumb.jpg

post-146377-0-78486300-1550763835_thumb.jpg

post-146377-0-77504600-1550763844_thumb.jpg

It seems to me there's loads of tipping material left. Enough that I would smooth the edges if it were my pen and if it were a problem; to me the edges don't look all that sharp, but of course you're the one writing with it. If the flat foot had worn the tipping off so that there was no tipping left at the bottom, then it would obviously be impossible to polish it more.

It seems to me there's loads of tipping material left. Enough that I would smooth the edges if it were my pen and if it were a problem; to me the edges don't look all that sharp, but of course you're the one writing with it. If the flat foot had worn the tipping off so that there was no tipping left at the bottom, then it would obviously be impossible to polish it more.

You might be right but in my limited experience I have only seen English 51s with a broad nib having tipping like this pic. But I would agree with you, some light smoothing could improve performance.

I think you should get expert advice from someone who can examine the pen up close. A nib person would be best. The nib looks like a stub. Kind of a nice nib for amateur efforts. Parker 51 nibs other than extra fine, fine and medium are less common, and no more are being made except for retippings. Have an expert look at it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I would agree that there is lots of tipping material remaining.

If you feel that it needs smoothing, then that is a different story and, like pajaro, I suggest an expert for that effort.