The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Faber Castell Loom Or Lamy Safari?

faber castell lamy safari loom india

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 smruthib

smruthib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:10

I own mostly Indian pens and I want to breach out into foreign brands. On WilliamPenn.net, the Loom and Safari cost similar, but people abroad prefer the Safari as it costs cheaper. Given that both cost the same, which one is better? And if there are other recommendations in the Rs. 2500 range apart from these two, that would be great too.

Sponsored Content

#2 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:03

I have the Lamy Alstar and the Loom, and between the two I prefer the Loom any day. Been using my Loom for about a year or so now, and not even once has it skipped or had any hardstart issues, but my Alstar does tend to run dry from time to time. Also, love the smooth nib on my Loom and would prefer it over the Alstar nib any day.

And you are right about the pricing, here in India the Loom is available for less than an Alstar and even the Twsbi Eco, so it's a no-brainer for me. My experience with Faber-castell pens has been extremely positive so far.

#3 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:21

I've got both F-C eMotion and a couple of Lamy's and I would recommend the F-C.

Check out the section on the F-C you are considering as my eMotion is so highly polished I find it difficult to use but it is still the better pen.

If you want the Lamy nib experience try the Wing Sung 3008; it's nib is the same design as Lamy so you can always buy a nib and swap it. there are some reports that Lamy nibs are ever so slightly loose on the 3008 but a little careful tweaking fixes that.

Al

#4 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:36

Depends what kind of nib you like, but the extra fine on the Wing Sung 6359 is extremely good: 5$ al star copy that comes with converter. I would try that first before getting the safari.

The loom isn't perfect either. I have one and love the nib, but it's not super comfortable.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#5 Holon

Holon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 15:24

The pens have very different grips, I would go for the one which suits your hand better. IMHO this is more important then differences in quality and nibs, both pens are usually reliable pens. But there are differences:

The Looms build quality is slightly better and FC nibs are more consistent and are generally very good steel nibs. 

The Lamy nibs aren't as consistent, especially the F and EF nibs can be very broad. But it is easier to change nibs on Lamy pens and they have they have more nib widths to choose from. You can't buy replacement nibs for the Loom.

#6 smruthib

smruthib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:43

I am still in the exploration stage of my FP journey and so far haven't encountered a grip that I dislike, so I am still not sure if the FC Loom will be uncomfortable. Does the Loom come with a converter? I always always prefer pens that come with a converter.

Depends what kind of nib you like, but the extra fine on the Wing Sung 6359 is extremely good: 5$ al star copy that comes with converter. I would try that first before getting the safari.

The loom isn't perfect either. I have one and love the nib, but it's not super comfortable.

Do you know where I can get Wing Sung pens in India?

#7 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 17:11

I am still in the exploration stage of my FP journey and so far haven't encountered a grip that I dislike, so I am still not sure if the FC Loom will be uncomfortable. Does the Loom come with a converter? I always always prefer pens that come with a converter.

Do you know where I can get Wing Sung pens in India?

Sorry, just saw your post. You could look on ebay, that's where I got mine. Jewelry mathematics is a good seller, I don't know if he ships to India but probably. 

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 18:50

I looked at a Loom, but decided against one, since they are fairly heavy pens.  I avoided Safaris for a long time because I didn't think I could get used to the grip, but now I love mine.

If you can try one before buying one (at a shop or if someone you know has either or both), I would recommend that to see which is more comfortable a pen to use.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 Holon

Holon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:46

Does the Loom come with a converter? 

I'm not sure if it's the same in India, but in Europe both pens don't come with converters.

#10 smruthib

smruthib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:46

Thanks a lot, all. I've decided to take ruth's advice and see if I can try to test both pens, but I am leaning towards the Loom more as of now.

#11 Holon

Holon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 13:46

Thanks a lot, all. I've decided to take ruth's advice and see if I can try to test both pens

:thumbup:

#12 mohit agrawal

mohit agrawal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 18:26

I want faber castell loom with extra fine nib. Can anyone suggest some place where to get one. Preferably online. Thanks.

#13 smruthib

smruthib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:09

I want faber castell loom with extra fine nib. Can anyone suggest some place where to get one. Preferably online. Thanks.

williampenn.net has Loom pens, but I haven't seen the EF nib with them. If you live near a WilliamPenn store, you can try to go there.

#14 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:34

Hi
Word of advice...try both Pens before u buy...

As one has metal grip and the other has abs plastic grip...
Some like one and others dont...

Aap far as nib is concerned Fabercastel has smoothest steel nibs... But as you grow in the hobby maybe you won't like the extra smooth nibs... You may like nibs which are feedbacky and hold ur hand this giving you a better control over your handwriting..

That said you can't go wrong with any of those

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#15 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:35

Pm me

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#16 smruthib

smruthib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:37

Hi
Word of advice...try both Pens before u buy...

As one has metal grip and the other has abs plastic grip...
Some like one and others dont...

Aap far as nib is concerned Fabercastel has smoothest steel nibs... But as you grow in the hobby maybe you won't like the extra smooth nibs... You may like nibs which are feedbacky and hold ur hand this giving you a better control over your handwriting..

That said you can't go wrong with any of those

Thanks a lot! I'm still experimenting with the nibs, I definitely don't like scratchy nibs, but the Jinhao I have is too smooth for me, so I'm still not sure what I like.

#17 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:38

I actually find that the Lamy nibs are smoother. The Faber Castell nibs have pleasant feedback in my experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber castell, lamy, safari, loom, india

Sponsored Content

|