The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sunburst Nibs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gopernoper

gopernoper

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:48

Hello everyone,

Browsing around on the auction site I may have found a new object of desire, one of the sunburst nibs. They look absolutely beautiful, and I'd love to try one with my copper J. I did some mid-intensity googling, however, and did not find much about them. I understand they come in different sizes and numbers, with a few variations, but no real in depth review or comparison. For my pen I have a 1551 that I like quite a bit, and my 9668 is far and away my favorite estie. The 2556 I have is basically unusable, so I can't compare it. I usually prefer a wider line in exchange for a smoother experience, which is why I like the 9668 so much. Given the nibs that I have used, in your opinion what would be a good sunburst nib to try and find? It may take me a bit to save for one, but I am hoping it will be a worthwhile expenditure. Thanks!

Edited by gopernoper, 20 February 2019 - 01:49.

Sponsored Content

#2 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:53

The 3668 would be the equivalent of the 9668 in a sunburst nib. As far as a smooth writing experience, I have found all the half dozen sunburst nibs I have used to be exceptionally smooth. In my opinion, its a shame they are uncommon because they were some of the best renew points made...

Edited by JakobS, 20 February 2019 - 02:53.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:16

My 3556 sunburst is very smooth and would be equivalent to your 2556, finer than your 1551.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#4 gopernoper

gopernoper

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:23

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.

I think the 3668 seems like a great option. If I somehow manage to find just the renew point, about how much is it to cost me? The dream would be, of course, to find one on a copper dollar pen, but of course my wallet restrains my pen acquisition efforts. Anything special to watch out for with these or is it the standard nib quality checks? Thanks!

#5 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:36

On its own, and NOS ~$35 for most of the 3xxx nibs. You used to be able to find ones occasionally in unrestored pens on EBay for pretty cheap if the positing was poorly described, but that was 9-11 years ago, and appears even less likely these days. A copper dollar pen with a 3xxx restored would be probably be ~ $75-$85 if the seller knows what they have, the dollar pen being around $45-$50 alone. Standard nib quality checks apply. Sometimes the NOS nibs can take a little priming to fully saturate the feed and get the ink to the nib, I found sliding a width of filler paper in the slit between the tines helps draw the ink to the tip.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#6 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:57

Check  MidnightPens. If Gary has it he will try to accommodate.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#7 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 00:57

Check  MidnightPens. If Gary has it he will try to accommodate.

It just so happens....

#8 gopernoper

gopernoper

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:32

It just so happens....

That would be my "D'oh!" moment! I forgot that was you! Don't get me too excited now, the J you so kindly gave me the opportunity to own is possibly my nicest writing and looking pen! I imagine a sunburst in your hands receives the royal treatment. I'll have to start putting some money aside, just in case. How much being the question...

Sponsored Content

|