• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescentfiller

• inkstainedruth

• mitto

• JotterAddict62

Wow. You've certainly been busy.

Are all the Laidtone Duofolds (first three photos) actually Vac fillers? Two of mine (the blue one and the Red/Dusty Rose one) are button fillers, and only the black one is actually a "Duovac".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are all the Laidtone Duofolds (first three photos) actually Vac fillers? Two of mine (the blue one and the Red/Dusty Rose one) are button fillers, and only the black one is actually a "Duovac".

Yep. All Vacs!

VERY VERY NICE !!!

Not all in the same day?

Haha! No, not all on the same day (over a period of a few weeks). I did snag four of them last Saturday, though.

The crazy thing is, I don't collect Vacs. But, at in-the-wild prices, it's hard not to pick them up, especially the more unusual ones!

Edited by crescentfiller

Where are you finding these?! In the UK, fountain pens in the wild seem to be increasingly elusive. I'm not jealous at all...

Instagram @inkysloth

Yep. All Vacs!

:drool:

@ inkysloth -- Don't know about the UK. Here in SW PA (as well as in northern West Virginia and eastern Ohio, I've found a number of vintage pens (often in little out of the way places). Two of my three Laidtones were found that way: the Red/Dusty Rose one was in an antiques store about an hour and a half north east of me (trying to decide if I should swap out the Sheaffer nib on it or leave it be for the amusement factor); and the Black Duovac was at an estate sale last spring, about a half hour or so north of Pittsburgh, and probably about 5 miles from where my husband works. Go figure (the first estate sale I'd gone to that day, about 7 miles south of the city, any pens listed were gone within 5 minutes of the doors opening.... :angry:

A lot of times I see junkers: I went to an estate sale Saturday morning, about 45 miles north east of me, and the only pen was some no-name junker with a lot of corrosion and bracing, and some weird squeeze filler system -- I decided it wasn't worth the buck they were offering for it, simply because it was in such bad shape (the nib might have been an italic, but was also a little mangled looking. I almost walked out, then went back and looked at it a second time -- and then said "Naaah...." and called my friend to see if she wanted to go have breakfast someplace. Turned into a completely bizarre day of playing telephone tag and her dealing with her parents' busted water heater destroying the carpet in the basement of *their* house, and then following her to her storage unit so I could get her stuff out of my van before my husband needs to put the middle seats in a few weeks.... In the process I also went to an antiques show but only saw a few ring top pencils; then yesterday, I went in an antiques mall on the way back from my ENT's office and passed on a couple of Esterbrooks (nibs I already had, and one was also missing the cap jewel and tassie); and a beat up looking Eversharp Skyline that *might* have been worth the asking price if it had had a nib.... :(

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Beautiful pens. Congrats.

Thanks, Mitto! Since you've scooped up all the 51s in wild, this is all that's left! Haha!

Happy Hunting

Thanks, Mitto! Since you've scooped up all the 51s in wild, this is all that's left! Haha!

Happy Hunting

Hah! Mitto hasn't gotten QUITE all of them. Just most of them.... (He didn't, for instance get that Forest Green Aero I found at an estate sale last fall..... :thumbup:)

He probably *does* however have way more Plummers than me. Of course having TWO would be more than me.

Ruth,

Long blind cap = vac fill; short blind cap = button fill.

JJ

so many pens, so little time.......

:D

Full disclosure: I did find a very clean 1949 Parker 51 Demi Aerometric in Teal Blue on Saturday for $14.50, in Utica, NY.

I don't know how you missed it!

Full disclosure: I did find a very clean 1949 Parker 51 Demi Aerometric in Teal Blue on Saturday for $14.50, in Utica, NY.

:lticaptd:

Beats the no-name junker with a some strange sort of squeeze filler I saw for a buck at an estate sale about 45 minutes northeast of me that day. I actually walked away, went back to the room it was in, looked at it some more (including at the corrosion -- which might have been from something else -- on the end of the barrel, and the serious amount of wear and brassing on the cap) and then said "Naaah -- it's not even worth a buck...."

I envy you all. Out here in the rural west, the only pen I am likely to find is a Bic ball point with end chewed off, or for a "nice" pen, a user quality Holiday Inn bp.

Edited by DrCodfish

I knew you needed that one. :D Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Hah! Mitto hasn't gotten QUITE all of them. Just most of them.... (He didn't, for instance get that Forest Green Aero I found at an estate sale last fall..... :thumbup:)

He probably *does* however have way more Plummers than me. Of course having TWO would be more than me.

How many dozens forest greens do you want, Ruth?

Khan M. Ilyas

How many dozens forest greens do you want, Ruth?

Thanks but I already have the $2 US estate sale sumgai from last fall. :rolleyes:

I try not to get duplicates of colors if I can avoid it after the trouble I had trying to figure out which Preppy with black trim and set up as a rollerball was filled with which black ink.... :headsmack:

The really funny thing about the Forest Green was that last year, on the way home from the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show, I stopped at an antiques mall someplace en route and passed on the Forest Green pen/pencil set (in box) because I wasn't enamored enough of the color (and am not generally interested in sets anyway) to pay IIRC $125.... Plus, I'd blown my budget on repairs and inks and a $5 1980s era Pelikano. B) [Not to mention accommodations, food, and the completely unreasonable parking garage rates in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.... :o]