The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Grain In The Beard

ina ho umber york brown sepia ochre beginning of spring grain in the beard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 19:30

From "Seasonal Terms", a range in the same line and octagonal bottles as "Ancient Charm" (but without the shimmer) - so is that Pen BBS?
Last year at the LA Pen Show I picked up "Beginning of Spring" (like Alt-GoldGrun but browner - the bottom row in the illustration) and "Beginning of Summer", both of which are rather nice, but "Grain in the Beard" was sold out.

One year later and perseverance pays off!

Now why was it again that the Mesopotamians turned from hunter-gatherers to farming?

fpn_1550517637__grain_in_the_beard.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2019 - 21:57

Nice comparison.

Of course now I'm going to be ear worming that song the rest of the evening -- or at least the version that Traffic did back in the 1970s.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:19

So here's the five I have ( scooped up a couple of bargains to go with!):

fpn_1550617822__pen_bbs_ii.jpg

Beginning of Spring - Brown-fronted version of AltGoldGrun - I really like this!

Beginning Of Summer - Nice red-brown - no immediate comparison to hand.

Grain in the Beard - see scan above.

Lesser Heat - pretty much a dead ringer for my (beloved, hitherto unique?) Fernambuk.

Leaky Bottle - the stains were there before I bought it, honest! The (English, handwritten) label on the back looks like it once read "Winter Equinox", but as that's astronomically absurd I think something was lost in translation (the whole set of 24 inks is called "Solar Terms" - a journey through the year's cycle with six colors for each season). Anyway, I'm glad I picked it up as it's a very nice "blurple" - quite close to Birmingham Pens' Allegheny Courthouse Justice Blue which is a beautiful ink, until it dries!

If anybody has any actual information about this range, I would love to hear!

Edited by pgcauk, 19 February 2019 - 23:21.

#4 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2019 - 20:02

You have astoundingly beautiful calligraphy to give us a taste of your new ink colors!

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 19:10

You have astoundingly beautiful calligraphy to give us a taste of your new ink colors!

What she said!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ina ho, umber, york brown, sepia, ochre, beginning of spring, grain in the beard

Sponsored Content

|