Writing With Grail Pens

Sicblades14

Hi everyone -

I was just curious as to what people do with pens that are considered grail pens.

I have a Sailor Raden Maki-E that I pretty much feel guilty about ever inking up. Because of this pen, I guess I consider myself more of a pen user than a collector, and since I can't bring myself to use this pen, I'm trying to sell it, even though I find it gorgeous to look at and it looks awesome on my pen stand.

How do you guys feel about using these types of pens, or do they feel more like pieces of jewelry to you guys as well?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sicblades14

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• OmegaMountain

I only have what I might consider as a grail pen, a Le Man 100; it took me a while to appreciate it, but I do use it. I'm not impervious to having doubts, it took me a while to write on a grail... Notebook! A Clairefontaine with blank pages, Finally took the jump.

On the other hand since I have a very clear maximum budget for pens, I don't think I'll get my other grail pens: Pelikan m605, m805 dunkelblau. But if for some reason I got them, I would definitely use them.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What is the point of owning a functional object if you're not going to use it? Yes, it is art of a sort, but I buy pens to use them. Granted, my top tier pen is an $800 Montblanc which is far less than many others. I have been thinking hard about dropping the stupid amount of money on GvFC's Samurai pen of the year - and you bet your butt I would ink that sucker up and carry it for work.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

What is the point of owning a functional object if you're not going to use it? Yes, it is art of a sort, but I buy pens to use them. Granted, my top tier pen is an $800 Montblanc which is far less than many others. I have been thinking hard about dropping the stupid amount of money on GvFC's Samurai pen of the year - and you bet your butt I would ink that sucker up and carry it for work.

That's the entire problem I have with it, I guess I just find it too beautiful to look at and don't want to damage it in any way whatsoever, which makes inking it up a struggle.

It's almost as if the pen is too good for me or something.

I received my grail pen last month, it has a custom made clip that could be considered a bit more delicate than your average clip, I inked it up within the first five minutes of getting it. It has already survived my ten month old son grabbing the clip, and was unharmed. Maki-e can be pretty durable, and unless you are known to drop pens, or place them in a pocket/bag with keys or other hazards, should hold up well to general use. Micro scratches may occur, but they will be a remembrance of the amazing words created by the use of the pen, and if they really bother you, can be lightly polished away....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

My grail pen(s) are always part of my daily writer assortment. If you are real nervous you can get appraised and get a jewelry rider on your homeowner's insurance. I have a $10K watch (that has actually appreciate 25% since I got it 5 years ago... so now is more like $13K) and I pay ~$55 a year insurance per $10K value on that watch. I wear that watch every day.

I did notice some finish scuffs on my Namiki Urushi on the cap where it rests on a surface, which bummed me out for about 7 minutes. It is really on the very glossy surface and not into the actual lacquer, so can only be seen when reflecting light. I have the ability to buff/shine up my precious resin pens if needed, but not much I can do about this Urushi situation. I don't want to turn an almost unnoticeable situation into a bad thing.

I don't believe in "grail pens". If I didn't I might feel like you.

Instead, I look at every pen purchase as though I purchasing a functional tool - to be used and cared for as one would a fine, precision instrument.

I have two pens which were expensive and some would consider them "collector" pens. While I love to look at them and treasure them, I use them. They are in my regular rotation.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

One of my grail pens was a Parker 51 in Plum. I have a user grade Demi with an M-ish that I got for a fairly decent price, and it's probably one of my favorite pens. As for using it? Absolutely. It'a a wonderful writer, a perfect size for my hand, and all it needed was a thorough flushing out to get working after I got it. At the moment I'm weighing the option of refilling it (recently been running De Atramentis Abergine in it) or flushing it in favor of something else (I'm about to start taking a class in a couple of weeks and was thinking that the 51 Vac with the EF nib might do a little better for taking notes with, since the finer width will be more stingy with ink usage).

And yes -- if I ever had the chance to be able to afford my absolute grail, a Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian Standard, it would absolutely be inked up and used.

I'm with Dr. Penfection on that one. I have a pen that cost over $300 US that I took with me when I went camping (which might have been a mistake because I dropped it somewhere -- fortunately it got turned into lost and found before someone ran over it in the road, because I was having panic attacks). I have a pen that I paid a whole whopping 50¢ for, which might be nearly as "valuable" as some of my 51s -- maybe even the Plum Demi -- because of it's relative rarity by comparison (I really should put that one back into rotation at some point). I have pens for which the repairs cost more than the pen. The only ones that don't see use are the ones I haven't gotten repaired yet.

Of course I also have some pens that are complete junk, including one that I foolishly paid 3 times what it's probably worth -- and that was when after it was initially priced at 3 times what *I* paid.

So it goes....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have yet to drop a pen in the year or so I've been using them, and I have always kept them in a case whenever travelling with them.

I guess just the idea of potentially harming this beauty makes me nervous about using it. I had it inked it up about a week, wrote perhaps a few paragraphs with it but then just ended up flushing it and putting it away.

Strangely enough, I have a Nakaya Negoro Red Cloth that I have no problem using on a daily basis but this one... idk. This one scares me.

It is helpful reading your posts tho, I guess if it doesn't sell I'll end up using it a bit more often.

Edited by Sicblades14

I don't think it's a big problem, but it also does depend on how many pens you own.

I have some pens that are clearly more "precious" and get less use than some of my every day carry pens.

I do use them when I feel like it, in more protected environments (e.g. in the office, but not when travelling), but don't feel bad if they are used less.

Some I like to own despite use is rare.

Pens should usually not be considered an investment, but one or two very rare ones might actually be..

If however the mere thought bothers you, then you should probably sell it, and get something you are more comfortable using.

(Here is one of my rarely used pens, not so much due to very high value, just because...)

fpn_1550527463__p1160487-3_visconti_manh

Hi everyone -

I was just curious as to what people do with pens that are considered grail pens.

I have a Sailor Raden Maki-E that I pretty much feel guilty about ever inking up. Because of this pen, I guess I consider myself more of a pen user than a collector, and since I can't bring myself to use this pen, I'm trying to sell it, even though I find it gorgeous to look at and it looks awesome on my pen stand.

How do you guys feel about using these types of pens, or do they feel more like pieces of jewelry to you guys as well?

Don’t sell it. Eventually you’ll wish you’d kept it. I see plenty of posts in which the seller regrets selling their pen

I don't have my grail pen yet. Price and rarity put it rather out of reach. But if I were to acquire it, I hope I would ink it at once. That's the whole point for me. A bird that can't fly isn't much fun. Still, I do understand what you're saying! Especially for an expensive pen. And, in point of fact, it often takes me a day or two to approach and ink a new pen that I have waited for a long time. But for this incredible pen of yours--if you could forget its value in dollars and consider its value in terms of joy, maybe you could feed it a bit of safe, serene blue. And enjoy the flight :-)

If you do decide to ink it once again, it would be lovely to see a writing sample from this gorgeous pen.

Good luck with either selling or keeping this beauty!

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Dont sell it. Eventually youll wish youd kept it. I see plenty of posts in which the seller regrets selling their pen

I agree with this. I sold my Nakaya Naka-Ai and regretted it. Use it and love it instead. It's just a thing - life is too short not to use and appreciate beautiful things.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I don't think it's a big problem, but it also does depend on how many pens you own.

I have some pens that are clearly more "precious" and get less use than some of my every day carry pens.

I do use them when I feel like it, in more protected environments (e.g. in the office, but not when travelling), but don't feel bad if they are used less.

Pens should usually not be considered an investment, but one or two very rare ones might actually be..

If however the mere thought bothers you, then you should probably sell it, and get something you are more comfortable using.

(Here is one of my rarely used pens, not so much due to very high value, just because...)

I was so tempted to buy this one after I got my divina metro in the same celluloid. This celluloid is the most beautiful material any fountain pen has ever been made from, in my opinion. Omas arco ain't got shiz on visconti's stacked celluloid, nor does the original, the vacumatic, have anything approaching the depth.

I'm glad I didn't because like the OP, I just feel guilty inking up my divina metro since I love looking at it so much. If I worked at a desk, I'd be much more comfortable, but the divina rarely gets to go to school with me and NEVER gets taken into the field on my ambulance.

Interestingly, It's the only pen I am this way about. my MB 149, homosapiens, all my vintage pens, all get regular use. the 149 is worth more than the divina.

I'd probably be the same about a maki-e pen, honestly. Raden, I'd probably use, but maki-e would be for special occasions. I really want one someday, maybe when I graduate med school.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I don't believe in "grail pens".

Instead, I look at every pen purchase as though I purchasing a functional tool - to be used and cared for as one would a fine, precision instrument.

Agree, and this applies to pretty much every Thing I buy.

If you worry about whether or not to use it then it is probably not making you as happy as resolution of that conflict would. I am inclined to agree with FOUR X FOUR if you really like to see it then keep it with the intention of using it. If that is too uncomfortable (you would have to bear the risk of disappointing damage or theft) then sell, spend the money on something you want to use.

X

To me, pens are made to be used. The beauty of a pen should also be more than visual. If a pen does not write well, it gets automatic ugliness points in my ranking.

Some objects gain in beauty with use. The use and care of a tool impregnates the tool with the symbolic meaning of an object that served the purpose of creation. A pen used by a great writer to write a famous novel surely is more precious than same model of pen in pristine condition.

I like to use all my pens and hope something meaningful ends up flowing through their nibs.

Tadeo

My only suggestion is to restrict the use of a Grail pen to ones home.

This. I use the few I consider grails all the time, *but* I also take care to only use them at my desk which has a large leather desk blotter (eg: soft surface) and put them back in their sleeves after I'm done.

-k

Sometime after a Grail pen arrives it becomes 'normal' in the next grail pen has taken it's place in the grail pen line.

The Geha 725 was once a grail pen of mine....It's not out in the pen cups. Stuck in the walnut humidor.

The rolled gold capped 500 is not out either. Nor it's twin 400 tortoise. Too good for pen cups.

I have a number of pens in velvet bracelet boxes..........too nice for the pen cups. Some were, some were not grail pens.

Nothing sadder than last year's grail pen. :unsure: :happyberet:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I was so tempted to buy this one after I got my divina metro in the same celluloid. This celluloid is the most beautiful material any fountain pen has ever been made from, in my opinion. Omas arco ain't got shiz on visconti's stacked celluloid, nor does the original, the vacumatic, have anything approaching the depth.

I'm glad I didn't because like the OP, I just feel guilty inking up my divina metro since I love looking at it so much. If I worked at a desk, I'd be much more comfortable, but the divina rarely gets to go to school with me and NEVER gets taken into the field on my ambulance.

Interestingly, It's the only pen I am this way about. my MB 149, homosapiens, all my vintage pens, all get regular use. the 149 is worth more than the divina.

I'd probably be the same about a maki-e pen, honestly. Raden, I'd probably use, but maki-e would be for special occasions. I really want one someday, maybe when I graduate med school.

:) :) It might come your way again one day, fingers crossed :D