Fpnibs Ronda

vojtahlad

Besides selling and grinding fountain pens and nibs, FPnibs started to sell their own branded pens. There are two models available: Ronda is larger and fits JoWo No. 6 nib units, Marbella is smaller and fits JoWo No. 5 nib units. Here you can see a comparison of both models (click to enlarge):

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-004.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-005.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-006.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-007.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-008.jpg

The pen arrives in a nice black card box with the model name written by a pencil on the top. Cool. A converter is included, a nib has to be purchased separately.

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-001.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-002.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-003.jpg

Here I am going to review the Ronda pen. It is quite large - here you can see a comparison with some other larger pens from my collection. Left to right: Edison Collier, FPnibs Ronda, Delta Dolcevita Federico:

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-009.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-010.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-011.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-012.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-013.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-014.jpg

Ronda is currently available just in one finish - very dark cool green with pearlescent effects. The colour is quite conservative but the pearlescence adds a nice touch. I like the design very much. My only complaint is the FPnibs logo which is printed in white. Some more decent design would be beneficial.

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-024.jpg

Manufacturing quality is great. Everything fits, threads are smooth (and short - it takes about one half of a twist to uncap the pen), polishing is perfect.

The dimensions fit perfectly my hand. The pen is well balanced and comfortable to hold. The weight is just right. I prefer lighter pens in general and this one is ideal for me. The pen can be posted but you do not want to do it - the posted pen is ridiculously long and its balance is shifted seriously.

Length: capped 148 mm, uncapped 130 mm, posted 180 mm.

Weight: complete pen 42 g, uncapped 25 g, cap 17 g.

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-015.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-016.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-017.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-018.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-019.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-020.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-021.jpg

There is a lot of nibs available. FPnibs sell JoWo units No.6 in steel, 14kt and 18 kt gold from extra fine to 1.5 mm stub. Plus dozens of grinding options (XXF, crisp italics, obliques,...). This is probably the widest nib selection available in the universe.

For my pen, I chose 1.1 mm stub in steel. The nib is very smooth with great ink flow which is my common experience with JoWo nibs. I own all steel JoWo nibs from EF to this one and all are reliable great writers. They are stiff, do not expect any springiness (but a flex nib is available too). When compared to Lamy 1.1 mm, the JoWo nib is significantly wider.

fpnibs-ronda-marbella-022.jpg fpnibs-ronda-marbella-023.jpg

My conclusion: I love this pen. I can highly recommend it to anybody - it looks great, is perfectly manufactured, has enormous nib selection, and it is really affordable (30 Euro for the pen, plus the nib, tax and shipping, some 60 Euro in total).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• flipper_gv

• thegrasshopperliesheavy

• Karmachanic

Thanks for the review. It looks like the section is comfortable. The comparison pictures really help give an idea of the size of the pen.

Looks like a really nice pen, but the branding on the cap is a really odd decision. Looks like an in-house issue.

Looks like a really nice pen, but the branding on the cap is a really odd decision. Looks like an in-house issue.

If it's screen printed fine micromesh will disapper it.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Value-wise, it seems very hard to beat. Do you know who turns the pen for them?

If you watch their YouTube clip, a caption flashes up around the 1:02 mark saying "The pens are made in Taiwan". No other details that I'm aware of...

Edited to add: Thanks for the review - this pen is definitely on my "Want to Buy" list!

Edited by Jamerelbe

Wonderful pen! I got the Ronda and the Marbella models. The Marbella fits a #5 JoWo and the Ronda one a #6 nib. The Ronda is light and well balanced and the colour is awesome. You can notice that the nib is perfectly tuned and revised so it is a joy to write with.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also just received a Ronda. As other have said, the fit, finish and overall quality are excellent for the price. Ink flow from the converter to the FPNibs Broad Architect nib unit I am using with it is very good. I also really like the hourglass-shaped grip section.

My only complaint is that the lip just behind the cap threads on the body has a sharp edge that rubs a little uncomfortably against the side of my thumb. I may try to smooth it slightly with micro mesh.