Pelikan Make A Wish Visit

mori45

This September, I happened to be in Europe right around the Make a Wish nib timing. Pelikans have been my fountain pen mainstay for going on 20 years now, so the prospect a custom ground nib was an exciting one.

I signed up for a few one hour time slots (one per nib) and was contacted by Juliane a short while later. I confirmed I’d be able to come and provided some detail on what I wanted for the nibs. Pelikan’s Make a Wish form is just two pages--it asks for some technical info (which hand you write with, at what angle and how quickly), a few questions on preferences (your favorite nib, how broad or narrow you want the new nib, your inkflow preference and if you’d like an oblique cut) and lastly, for a few sentences that will serve as your writing sample.

Juliane also advised that there was an option to stay in the old Pelikan factory in Hannover as a part of the package, and well, that was an easy decision. I was only spending two days in Hanover/Peine, so staying at the Sheraton Pelikan Hannover gave me the opportunity to visit the Pelikan Tintenturm, which is just around the corner. I’d taken a train from Berlin into Hanover that day, and I stumbled through the Tintenturm just before close. I didn’t have much time to spend, but got to see some cool Pelikan history to kick off the adventure and meet Juliane, though I didn’t know that quite yet. After wandering around Hanover for the day, I prepared to settle into the hotel room and sprint off to Peine the next morning.

The Sheraton Pelikan Hannover is comfortable and conveniently located a few tram stops from the city center. If you didn’t know the Sheraton was once a factory, there are a few tells: the branding, the distance from the Tintenturm and last but not least, the styling in the rooms.

F84mSgk.jpg

Early the next morning, I made my way to Peine, where the factory is today. Peine is a short train ride from the Hannover Hbf, and the factory a quick bus ride from the station. I’d estimate the total time spent in transit at about 45 minutes. When I arrived, I saw a familiar face--Juliane, who I’d corresponded with for the appointments and seen the day before at the Tintenturm. Juliane greeted me and and had me sit down with Detlef. Because of my poor planning, I had a flight booked very close to my Pelikan appointment time, but Juliane and Detlef graciously fit three nibs in a two hour block.

Detlef walked me through each nib that had been pre-ground for me and had me try them one by one. Each nib wrote beautifully, and no re-grinding was needed. If it had been, Detlef and Juliane would have the adjustment made and the nib would be re-tested. Due to my schedule, the pre-grinding was a blessing--I was able to enjoy the experience, chat with Detlef and Juliane, and make my flight back with no issues. Had the nibs been ground in my presence, I don’t know that I would have been able to make that flight. I realize not seeing your nib ground is a disappointment for some, but I didn’t think it broke the magic at all.

In addition to write testing with me, Detlef also gave me the most comprehensive handwriting advice I’ve received since grade school. I thought myself as an experienced pen user, but Detlef, with decades of experience working with pens, was able to identify quirks I didn’t realize I had in how I hold and rotate my pen and the amount of force I use, all of which would impact the use of the stub and italic grinds I’d requested. He had me work on a few writing exercises while I was there and helped correct at least some of my hamfisting, and the difference is noticeable. Thank you again for that, Detlef--I’ll get it right with a bit more practice.

In addition to the 3 nibs, I also caved on a white tortoise--I’ve wanted to pick one up for some time, and what better place than the factory? I also came away with some interesting facts: The Magnum, exclusive to Monteiro Guimaraes (Emege) were only made in tortoise, dashing my dreams of a grey and black Magnum. Also, the write test paper in the factory was even smoother than Tomoe River. Detlef mentioned this offhand while I was testing, and after switching between the two, the mystery paper was indeed smoother.

And here are the M1000 nibs up close:

7UA2rxr.jpg

For the curious, here’s a writing sample for the three nibs. I indicated the broad M1000 nib is a stub, but it’s more an italic.

MTqpqzp.jpg

Thanks again to Juliane and Detlef, and everyone at Pelikan and the Sheraton who made this such a good trip. Hope to have the chance to visit again soon!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mori45

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

• DrDebG

:thumbup:

What inks were used.....

And what is the mystery paper????

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Great writeup! Thank you!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hi,

nice story, a joy to read. :-)

Such a M-Stub would be my choice for a S nib.

A similar (well, somehow - just a 1930s Swan) one is my most used nib...

Thanks and best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Sigh. One day... Thanks for sharing your story!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you for sharing with us. I planning to visit Hannover/Pelikan factory too and expecting combine this with pen show in Germany. Can anyone advice me when and what pen show will take place near/in Hannover?

I’d like to know what that mystery paper is also. Or is it a mystery still? Your write up was magical. I’m even glad you posted a photo of the hotel room because it’s like we were there too.

My paternal ancestry runs through Denmark then Germany. One of the Danish ancestor’s first name was Ditlev, kind of close to Detlef.

Posted Image

:thumbup:

What inks were used.....

And what is the mystery paper????

I filled those pens awhile ago, so my best guess is Penman Sapphire on the top two and Pelikan Edelstein Topaz on the bottom.

As for the mystery paper, I should've asked, but didn't--still, let me see if I can find out...

Nice story!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Fun! I plan to be in Germany in May. Probably just Frankfurt and Lipzig. Wish I had more control on the trip agenda!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!