Dark But Vivid Teal?

shinryu

Blue-greens have been a favourite colour of mine for a long time. I have spent quite a bit on my quest for an office teal ink and have found that these inks sort of fall into two categories: vivid but light (Deep Sea, Aurora Borealis, Tranquility, Edelstein Aquamarine) and dark but muted (Diamine Teal, Beaufort Peacock). There was one dark yet vivid teal but it was a shimmer (Emerald of Chivor) so not quite office appropriate.

Now in other colours groups, for example blue there are quite a few dark yet vivid and saturated colours. Monteverde Ocean Noir, KWZ Baltic Memories and Diamine Regency Blue just to name a few. Are there teal inks that have these properties? I am currently trying to avoid Sailor and Pilot because they do not really agree with my current pens but any other brand is fine.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• shinryu

• effandpee

• Enkida

Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black out of the inks I've tried out myself. Very saturated and has an almost glossy appearance, opposite of flat/faded. The opposite of that would be Sailor Yama Dori, which has a very flat/bit faded appearance when not exhibiting sheen.

Maybe the new Diamine "Aurora Borealis" will be what you're after:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/agn2hb/new_ink_review_diamine_aurora_borealis_in/

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I was going to recommend that you look at Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku or Tsuki-Yo. I've not encountered any pens that don't like Pilot/Iroshizuku inks, but that's just my experience/opinion.

[much snipped] I am currently trying to avoid Sailor and Pilot because they do not really agree with my current pens but any other brand is fine.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Have a look at KWZ Walk Over Vistula, Baltic Memories and IG Turquoise. Let the EdC settle and draw from the top - no shimmer.

Another vote for Yama Dori and Ku-Jaku.

Add lightness and simplicate.

DeAtramentis Midnight Blue is my favourite in this category (definitely a teal rather than a blue). Agree with Baltic Memories, although I find it so saturated that it doesnt flow very well. Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue is another good one (maybe perhaps one shade more towards blue than youre looking for)

I eager its about how dark you need it or you would allow it to be ... Diamine got several

Edited by Mech-for-i

Baltic Memories and Verdigris samples actually arrived today. They turned out to be quite similar, just that The KWZ shades like mad while the R&K does not shade at all. I have no like or dislike of shading so both are fine.

Both the inks are dark enough and are lovely lively colours. I would prefer just a bit more green though. Robert Osters Velvet Storm was a bit too green so somewhere between Verdigris and that. Diamines Teal and Beauforts Peacock are about right in terms of blue-green balance but both a bit subdued.

So I am looking for something dark but vivid like Baltic Memories or Verdigris, a bit greener than Verdigris but less so than Velvet Storm. Gosh I sound like a picky (bleep). Not even sure if such an ink exists really!

Oh it exists. You'll just have to go through another 20 inks or so to find it. But by then your taste will have changed. What fun. :D I think I hear Yama Dori calling you!

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

There are a couple of rather esoteric teal inks to consider... but one's not easily available and perhaps not "dark", where the other is very much so, and available.

I'd point you to a Noodler's ink from abroad, Coral Sea Blue, but it's no longer available through Pendamonium in Australia. You might look around to see if any surfaces for sale, as it's not quite duplicated by other inks in the market, especially in its water-resistance. IMO, this is still very much worth watching for if it comes up for sale.

In the absence of that ink, consider Noodler's Prime of the Commons, which is another unusual but fun teal-coloured ink, also highly water-resistant.

Callifolio inks are trouble free, but they have wonderful blue-greens. Bleu Equinoxe 6, Ohlanga,Oliphants or Bonne Esperance might suit. https://vanness1938.com/collections/callifolio-inks

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another vote for Sailor Yama Dori. That ink is quite a chameleon, I find - when used on the more absorbent kinds of paper commonly encountered in the office (copy paper, legal pads etc.) it looks dark, matte, and even, with seriousness and gravitas befitting a work ink. But - when used on fine papers such as Rhodia or Tomoe River, it shows its brilliant coppery sheen and becomes one of the most characterful inks around.

If Yama Dori is not green enough for you (which is possible, going by your reaction to Baltic Memories) then you might want to give Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-Ro a try. It's quite a serious-looking ink as well, certainly dark and dense enough to be a work ink, but with a soothing appearance, plus subtle shading that exudes an understated conviviality.

• 4 months later...

Second Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku. Been my standard ink for a while now. (I have a similar weakness for blue-green / teal ). It dries to more green than blue. Very well behaved.

I was going to recommend that you look at Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku or Tsuki-Yo. I've not encountered any pens that don't like Pilot/Iroshizuku inks, but that's just my experience/opinion