Pilot Legno 89S

4lex

post-117416-0-38399000-1550267002_thumb.jpeg

I ordered Pilot Legno 89S from Japan. As I was lumbered with customs charges I kinda wish I didnt but hey, thats life.

The 14k medium nib is soft and juicy. Unfortunately I was expecting Japanese medium but its more like wet wide western medium. It doesnt take converter so you are limited to Pilot inks. With Pilot Black that is notoriously prone to bleed through thats a bit of a problem. I tamed it with Pelikan Blue Black and it is now usable as a daily writer. Unfortunately this means a life of filling the ink cartridges with a syringe.

Its a small pen and you have to post it. This makes it top heavy so its not really usable for long writing session. Body is made out of wood laminate. This is a Black one, you can also get a red one.

Here it is next to far superior vintage Pilot Volex. When capped its longer than the Volex, posted it is shorter. I havent decided is it a keeper or shall I sell it. I will give it a chance, maybe it will grow on me.

post-117416-0-08971000-1550267731_thumb.jpegpost-117416-0-28034500-1550267762_thumb.jpeg

Edited by vonManstein

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• rudyhou

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You sure it won't take a converter? I think the discounted con-20 is the same size as the pilot ink cartridge. Actually the ads on eBay for the pen say it works with a converter that is not included. So I suspect a con-40/50 would also work. Just don't expect a con-70 to work as those are too large for smaller pilot pens.

Edited by Driften

I tried con-40 and con -70 and they don’t fit. I don’t have con-20 to try, I had one somewhere but I think I may have binned it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

try a con-50. the con-40 has a wider shoulder than the 50. I can fit a 50 into all of my vintage pilots and the 40 only fits a few. The 20 is smaller than a standard cartridge in every way.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

try a con-50. the con-40 has a wider shoulder than the 50. I can fit a 50 into all of my vintage pilots and the 40 only fits a few. The 20 is smaller than a standard cartridge in every way.

Really? Then why does the Vanishing Point/Decimo provide a shell that goes over a cartridge which is not needed when using a CON-20?

Really? Then why does the Vanishing Point/Decimo provide a shell that goes over a cartridge which is not needed when using a CON-20?

I'm being approximate, but the main reason is actually to just prevent the clicking mechanism from damaging the cartridge, which is made of cheap, soft plastic. The con50 and con20 both fit the VP and don't need it because they're much stiffer.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I tried con-40 and con -70 and they don’t fit.

According to Pilot, CON-40 is the converter to use with the Legno 95s89s.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/legno89s/

Edit: Oops, I got the numeric designations for Elite and Legno mixed up, and didn't do proper copyediting before posting. Sorry.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

According to Pilot, CON-40 is the converter to use with the Legno 95s.http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/legno89s/

My apologies. I mixed up con-40 and con-50. The converters I tried and they don’t fit are con-50 and con-70.

This is good news. I’ll get myself con-40. Thanks

Yeah, I mixed them up too - swap everything I said about the 40 and 50.

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The 50 has the big annoying metal ring around the back that makes it too thick to fit stuff.

The 50 has the big annoying metal ring around the back that makes it too thick to fit stuff.

One of the reasons why Pilot replaced the CON-50 with the CON-40, so that it will be universal (as well as arguably more suitable for use in demonstrators such as (some of the) Penmanship, Plumix, Prera and Custom models, at the 'cost' of a slight reduction in ink capacity.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

i have both pens and enjoy them both. i use con-50 in legno and con-20 in volex.

Do you by any chance have Stella 90s/Stargazer as well? I wonder if it has better balance when posted ? I think it’s possible as the weight ratio between cap and barrel will be smaller.

Do you by any chance have Stella 90s/Stargazer as well? I wonder if it has better balance when posted ? I think it’s possible as the weight ratio between cap and barrel will be smaller.

no, i don't. unfortunately, i have never tried a Stella 90s/Stargazer to know the difference.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

no, i don't. unfortunately, i have never tried a Stella 90s/Stargazer to know the difference.

Thanks. Is the nib friction fit? I tried to remove it to make it a bit dryer but it’s not coming out.

Thanks. Is the nib friction fit? I tried to remove it to make it a bit dryer but it’s not coming out.

you mean the nib of my Legno 89s? nope, easily removed.

-rudy-

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Legno and a Stargazer...

46613551284_d2ccfc00d3_c.jpg

...to me, they both seem to be 'well balanced', and good to write with. it's just that the Stargazer is a slightly heavier pen.

• 5 weeks later...

MalcomH, what would you suggest if someone wanted to only purchase one of them? I've been eyeing both recently and I can't decide. I like the aesthetics of both, which makes it a tough choice. :/ I know the Stargazer's body is made of brass; does one feel particularly better to write with?

I have a Legno and a Stargazer...

46613551284_d2ccfc00d3_c.jpg

...to me, they both seem to be 'well balanced', and good to write with. it's just that the Stargazer is a slightly heavier pen.

• 3 weeks later...

MalcomH, what would you suggest if someone wanted to only purchase one of them? I've been eyeing both recently and I can't decide. I like the aesthetics of both, which makes it a tough choice. :/ I know the Stargazer's body is made of brass; does one feel particularly better to write with?

I can't say that one is better than the other. The 89s is slightly lighter, has a different texture / feels slightly warmer, and is a matt finish. While the 90s is slightly heavier, smoother and cooler finish. Down to personal preference. I have the 89s in fine and the 90s in medium, and both are excellent writers.

Get one of each. ;)