Broad Nibs In M800 And M1000

adim

Wait, don't the full black M800/M1000 have actual ink windows, colored in green if I remember correctly? Aren't those clear enough, almost like Montblanc's?

Actually correct. I had forgotten about the full black ones having real ink windows that should work great.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adim

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

• Lam1

Old small 600 and the 1005 in black do have green ink windows....

:DHard to see on the 600 when it is full of 4001 Brilliant Green.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It can be hard to see ink level in Pelikan striped pens. My m805 in blue, and my vintage 400 in green can be challenging to see ink volume with out bright sun coming through a window. A desk lamp has not worked so well for me. Some Pelikan pens have an actual ink window, but not normally on m800/m1000 models. My m605 solid blue and my m101n Lizard have nice ink windows.

I do have an easier time with my Montblanc 146 and 149 to see ink level. Not as easy as an Aurora Optima which has a nice ink window. I had a Sailor 1911 Realo but didn't like it as much as a MB 146.

It depends on how much ink do you expend on a day. I found that translucent bodies of Pelikan "work" when they need to. As you say, it can be very difficult to see the remaining ink... except when they are almost empty in a non-linear fashion: you can't see the remaining (unless against very strong light) and, then, all of a sudden, you can easily see they are almost empty. At my current daily writing rates, once this happens, I know I still will be able to finish the day; I'm not so sure that would be the case in the old days at Uni.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to like regular flex....what many who own Japanese pens call 'soft'....which was called Regular Flex long before Japanese pens expanded their market in the late '90's.

I had a '90's 400 and a few '90's regular flex pens, Celebrys, 381. I trans-mailed some 200's nibs to England, in some fools in Germany refuse to mail out side of Germany. So I tried them out....got to like them enough ....I having some 400's didn't need a 200, :lticaptd:so got a 215 instead for the nib....and later two more 200's.

I've a W.Germany 200 OM which is a bit more springy than normal '90's pens. My small 600 is a first year of the bicolor nib ('90), and last of the W.Germany bodies. It's OBB so at that width I'm not expecting a whole lot of springyness.

Same goes for my fatter 1005 OBB. The 600's W.Germany nib is the better ...more springy....as well it could be being at the cusp of the great '82-90's W. Germany nibs.

I can see how a Japanese modified by half moon nib can be mushy when comparing it to a German semi-flex. The Sailor 21 K nib is reputed to be soft and mushy.

I just don't see my 1005 as mushy. :yikes: ............of course if I had a EF, or F....I would be able to judge better, but an OBB is not going to be mushy unless a lot of pressure is placed on it. It is as normal for it's era, a 1/2 a width wider than the small 600.

It is unfair to judge a later regular flex nib vs a W.Germany one..... Is my 1005 OBB mushy?...No, but it certainly is slower than my W.Germany OBB.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

In terms of wetness and flexibility, a m1005 will have more line variation than a m1000 especially with a B nibs, for the m800, pre 1998 made models would be the ones I would look for due to better and more flexible nibs.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Go with MB as it is easier to access and has the nib choices. Wait for the upcoming Expression, if you want.

Depending on the budget, you can look at MB LE collections.

You shouldn't force yourself to buy/like a brand/pen.

Later, you can buy a Pelikan when/if you come across a good deal.

Are there any friends/clubs that have Pelikans to try?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Your MB149 sounds ideal. A Pelikan will lack MB's line variation. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Best of both worlds would be a Pelikan 600, and a '50-65 semi-flex nib or three. There is enough girth of the 600 to be close to a 146....the medium-large 600 has a touch better balance.....posted of course.

It is a nice nimble pen....... the Large 146 is almost as nimble....the medium-large '50-70's 146 is a match for the 600....but has a better issue nib. .

.....and if not then a semi-flex 149 from 1950-70 would at least give you a good nib.

The 600 is a match for the medium-large '50-70 146....except in nib....the 146 comes with better but you can screw nibs into the 600.

Vintage B/OB were 1/2 a width narrower than modern and writing nibs....not signature nibs of today.

I would think of getting a pre'98 800 with the regular flex nib....would be worth the extra for a W.Germany 800. ....Would not dream of a nail 800.

I have a W.Germany 200&600 and there is that slight bit more spring in the regular flex nib than Germany up to '97 Germany nibs....which I have only in the 400, Celebry and 381...and a couple new 200/100/150/151's.

IMO for Obliques the '50-70 era is best...........the later regular flex obliques are more hunt for the line variation instead of the '50-70 in your face.

If you get a 1000 in OBB, you might want to think about stubbing it........

My Woolf is a 'Springy ...(good tine bend but only 2 X tine spread) stubbish wide B................my '70-80's large 146 is a run of the mill regular flex non stubby. I don't know when MB went over to Springy stubbish nibs; so don't know what the 146's nib is like other than to think it's similar to my Woolf.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson