Need Help With This Old Pelican Nib?

penman88

i wouldnt even know where to start in getting this thing re-tipped

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penman88

• Bo Bo Olson

• jekostas

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so in everyones opinion this is an oblique nib? i have never heard that term before now... but this is my first vintage pen. i was very pleased with my Faber-Costell e-motion...at least the smoothness in which it writes; so i decided to go with a German pen for my first vintage. i really do believe in superior engineering, precision, or attention to detail which from my experience the Germans are some of the best in the world. i am extremly nervous about this purchase. i am a lowly office manager and i barely make 30k a year, in the last 2 months since i came across the fountain pen hobby i have spent close to 800$ sooo i really cant afford to send this thing to a nibmeister or pen repair place. i do disassemble and clean all of my own pens, again they are a MV-monza, Jin-Hao x750, a noodlers ahab, and a Faber Costell E-motion. the emotion being the ony one with a nib unit (which i hate because its alot harder to clean and holds water from cleaning for a long time) other then that i feel comfortable disassembling and re-assembling all of my pens. with that said if this pen is fragile or tricky and requires someone of experience to work on i would rather send it off then break it the day it arrives in the mail...thoughts?

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny

I would recommend you go slow and not make hasty decisions. When you talk about retipping a vintage Pelikan nib it's like trying to fix something that is not broken. The tipping in these pens are not a problem, they are a feature. And a very nice one at that.However you will have to take some time in learning how to use it correctly.

As you well know a FP is not a ballpoint. Don't press down on the nib. A tripod grip and a light touch will do wonders to your FP writing experience.

so in everyones opinion this is an oblique nib?

No, it's not an oblique. Obliques have a slanted tipping. Yours doesn't. You need to send it to someone only if you find that it doesn't write properly. Seating the nib properly is easy, just make sure you don't misalign the tines while pushing it back.

As stated your nib Is Not oblique.

Your nib is a normal German stubbed nib for the era, and needs no re-tipping.

It is not an italic nib, but the common German stubbed semi-flex nib of that era.

It is not all that sharp....I got two coffee cups full of those kind of pens and nibs.

Shove the nib in, and have at it.....by now you should have seen what semi-flex is.....a way to get that old fashioned fountain pen flair with out doing anything at all but writing regular.........even printing if that is what you do.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

i wouldnt even know where to start in getting this thing re-tipped

There's no need for getting the nib retipped.

I'd recommend you adjust the tines.

You'd be surprised by how much a simple tine adjustment can make a nib write better.

I'd also recommend you floss the nib, but it doesn't seem like it needs a flossing.

Your nib can be pushed into the feeder unit a little more.

No worries, you won't have to spend a SINGLE PENNY on the pen!

- Hope that helps!

I agree with those saying you need take no dramatic action on this nib. Clean it. Set the nib and feed deeper in the collar. If the piston is tight after good cleaning, lubricate it with a little silicone grease. There are instructions all over fpn for doing this. Then ink and write with it. I have about 10 vintage Pelikans with nibs that look like yours they all write wonderfully. Depending on the knowledge of the seller, mine needed nothing or a good cleaning before providing outstanding writing. The 140 is a durable pen with a superb nib. I have 4 of them. Each is a great writer. You will enjoy it.

I also recommend to you, once you are comfortable with your 140, a Pelikan 100, 100N, 400 and a 400NN. These are wonderful pens and nibs.

Posted, in the medium-small 140 has a large cap, it is standard length and so balanced when posted.

If you fear mars, wax the pen.

Old light and nimble pens as far as I'm concerned are made to be posted to have the great balance they had to have in the day of writing 8 hours a day, 266 days a year. A pen with out great balance just did not sell.

I'm sure I told you how popular and IN the medium-small pen was in Germany. The Pelikan 140 (x2), Geha 760 (x1), Kaweco Dia (x1) and a couple of the Osmia pens (2x).

Got a few no name pens of that size also.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If you just need the tines adjusted and the nib pushed back down where it should be, I can do it for free, just pay for shipping to and from Seattle. I can have it done in a day and back out to you. I can also look at it and determine if the tipping is worn or damaged. Super minor job that I've done to my own 140.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Take him up on it.....you appear to have frozen in indecision.

You can't beat the deal, and I do want you writing and enjoying your self very soon.

In the mean while, look for some Southworth papers at Target/Home office or such...I don't live in the States and don't remember at which I found the Southworth papers....(don't get the laid or linen effect papers as a noobie) , or Rhodia 80-90g....

In the mean while, look for some Southworth papers at Target/Home office or such...I don't live in the States and don't remember at which I found the Southworth papers....(don't get the laid or linen effect papers as a noobie) , or Rhodia 80-90g....

I have already purchased a pad of triumph paper. it seems incredibly thin but it does react well with FP ink.

as to what i will do with the pen? well the seller sent me a photo with the nib/feed assembly unscrewed from the pen so it probably slide apart nicely. i do feel comfortable cleaning a pen (i have done so many times with my cheaper modern pens) and i will clean/re-seat the nib and feed, cap etc. ink it up and see how she writes. if i am not satisfied with the results i will take honeybadgers up on his offer of adjustment. I have to say i am super neurotic and i am worried about a bunch of unknowns? the pen could arrive and be fine. but thank you everyone for all of the kind advice and support... i am just really seeking that ultimate writing experience ya know? like i recently told another member/supporter a pen that glides over paper and flows like a river! from the little bit of research i have done pelikans of this era are a good choice for such an experience. we will see. i am hopefull, so for now i will keep my fingers crossed

With or with out Honey Badger..............as soon as your 140 works the way it should be you will be officially and forever spoiled................by a semi-flex pen.

My 140 spoiled me from the second I put the nib to my thumbnail at the flea market....and even more when inked.

I only have 28 semi-flex and 16 maxi-semi-flex pens..............so one can get over it......why I've only added two semi-flex pens in the last year or so.

A Diplomat with little Maltese Crosses all over the place.

DA Aubergine (purple) ink. Blind cap so probably '50's.

Is a screw out nib.

:huh: :( :unsure:.....got to wonder which was the other. :wallbash:

When you try to take the nib and feed out of the collar that holds them together there is a good chance the collar will crack. DO NOT PANIC! They are available easily and cheaply.

With an old Pelikan the first and best advice has to be: rinse it, ink it, and write with it. They are incredibly reliable and very fun!

Ralf

Edited by ralfstc

• 1 month later...

This nib has the normal, flat cut nib of the time. These vintage nibs are vastly superior to any modern Pelikan nib.

If you're thinking about sending the 140 to a nibmeister, then it is not the pen for you. If for some reason you must have a vintage German pen, find a kugel nib model. The Pelikans will be marked KM or KB or K-whatever. These have ball tipping and write more like modern pens.

K nibs have a thicker point and a ball on top so one can hold a fountain pen like a pencil, or one of them new-fangled ball points.....................the bottom is still a stub nib, so you can have both.

Modern 400/600/800 or 1000 are double kugal nibs....ball on bottom like American pens, ball on top and a thicker point so folks don't have to waste time learning to hold a fountain pen like a fountain pen. A fat blobby characterless nib.

The 200/150 still has a great springy regular flex nib, that has a teardrop/oblong tipped nib, that is 1/2 a width narrower than the modern piece of junk, and has a nice clean line.

Your semi-flex 140 will also give you a nice clean line....and line variation....though it is better to think of that as in built flair.......................that old fashioned fountain pen flair, that you don't have to do anything at all to have.

It will more than likely take you three months to lighten your Hand....it did me. Most of us come over to fountain pens or back to fountain pens and are Ham Fisted from years or decades of plowing the south forty with out the mule, use of a ball point.

However you can cheat.........and learn the forefinger up way of grasping your pen. You will have an automatic light grip in three minutes.

Help! How Do You Hold Your Fountain Pen?

Well, this thread is getting old now, but still trundling along, it seems: I wish we knew how the OP managed with his nib. It did look like an easy fix, didn't it?

@ OP (penman88) are you still out there?

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

Defiantly had to hit him over the head with a couple bricks; the first one broke. :P

OP...Remember the bottom of that nib is supposed to be flat..........it is a stubbed semi-flex....not a nib with the 'American/English Bump Under tipping.

It took me a bit to learn...........a decade ago, many said the German pens of that time were 'stubbish', NO!!! ..... they were/are stubs.................I have enough to say so....some 44 or so.