The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Smoothest Ergonomic Pen Within 50$

ergonomic smooth

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 19:11

That's awesome K-Singh. I hope to be right there at that same level this time next year....but with "pretty" writing, as it is currently legible, but not at all pretty...lol.

Yes the handwriting does take a toss when you shift to arm writing. But totally worth it in my opinion :)

Also, you mentioned above that it was very hard for you, and I have heard the same from others too. But I got used to it within a month or two I guess, and without much effort (Not saying this to brag or anything)

By the way, where did you learn it from. My single and only source of learning this was an excellent article from PaperPenalia (You can read it here if interested). And I didn't even practice the exercises that the writer mentions there. Still, very grateful to have come across that article. It made me realize that I was writing the "wrong" way for the past 28 years, and helped me to form a new way of writing that I'll probably be using for the rest of my life.

Sponsored Content

#42 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,379 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 20:13

I don't like the tripod, in it often leads to the Death Grip and the Deadly Kung Fu Thumb Pinch.

I prefer the forefinger up....which is a painless automatic light grip on a fountain pen.

Was mentioned before.....but like many folks who use ball points don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen.

Others don't have three minutes to try a different, more efficient grip.

Arm writing is advised by those who have learned it....less fatigue.

One can take a day and learn....with in a week it will be normal.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 15 February 2019 - 20:15.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#43 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 20:51

I don't like the tripod, in it often leads to the Death Grip and the Deadly Kung Fu Thumb Pinch.

I prefer the forefinger up....which is a painless automatic light grip on a fountain pen.

Was mentioned before.....but like many folks who use ball points don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen.

Others don't have three minutes to try a different, more efficient grip.

Arm writing is advised by those who have learned it....less fatigue.

One can take a day and learn....with in a week it will be normal.

Coming from ballpoints, I was used to the death grip. Having got accustomed to the tripod grip now, I find it very comfortable. I use a very light grip and let the pen write under its own weight, just like it's supposed to be. But I understand your point in how it too can lead to holding your pen too tightly.

I wish more people spent some time in learning the proper writing technique. It not only helps in having a comfortable and relaxed writing experience, but will also be good for the health of your forefingers or wrists in the long run.

#44 ibrahim

ibrahim

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 00:18

I would recommend this pen

Pelikan GO Fountain pen M with Box, new old stock

https://www.ebay.com...tkAAOSwIFtZ6xwu

I have one and I use it all the time.

#45 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:17

I've heard good things about the "GO."  Do be aware when shopping that there are two versions; a piston filler and cartridge pen.

edited to turn shipping into shopping, duh!

Edited by OCArt, 16 February 2019 - 07:45.

#46 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:42

Thanks for brining it up! I had not heard of it and just bought ones available via your link.

#47 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:06

Thanks for brining it up! I had not heard of it and just bought ones available via your link.

I posted a comparison post of the two versions here:
http://www.fountainp...932-pelikan-go/

The piston filler cant be disassembled for relube servicing etc.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#48 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:15

I posted a comparison post of the two versions here:
http://www.fountainp...932-pelikan-go/

The piston filler cant be disassembled for relube servicing etc.

I saw that after seeing it above I looked at the reviews including your comparison. The nib is friction fit, maybe the piston can be greased with the nib and feed pulled out.

#49 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:17

I saw that after seeing it above I looked at the reviews including your comparison. The nib is friction fit, maybe the piston can be greased with the nib and feed pulled out.

thats a good idea. I havent tried that. Maybe someone will and post some results.

Edited by hari317, 16 February 2019 - 04:18.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#50 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:20

thats a good idea. I havent tried that. Maybe someone will and post some results.

Actually just watched the review again from SBRE Brown and after he says you can pull out the nib and feed as they are friction fit there is a little barrier inside that would keep you from greasing the piston that way. Oh well. 

#51 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:36

Yes the handwriting does take a toss when you shift to arm writing. But totally worth it in my opinion :)

Also, you mentioned above that it was very hard for you, and I have heard the same from others too. But I got used to it within a month or two I guess, and without much effort (Not saying this to brag or anything)

By the way, where did you learn it from. My single and only source of learning this was an excellent article from PaperPenalia (You can read it here if interested). And I didn't even practice the exercises that the writer mentions there. Still, very grateful to have come across that article. It made me realize that I was writing the "wrong" way for the past 28 years, and helped me to form a new way of writing that I'll probably be using for the rest of my life.

i use tripod technique for both hands from the very beginning. if arm writing can make that much of a difference, i will definitely go for it. i read the article you provided in the link, its quite useful. i will definitely try it.

Edited by Arijitdutta, 16 February 2019 - 06:09.

#52 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:45

well some ebay links doesn't open from here in India... i will definitely look it up

#53 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:18

Actually just watched the review again from SBRE Brown and after he says you can pull out the nib and feed as they are friction fit there is a little barrier inside that would keep you from greasing the piston that way. Oh well. 

Most older pelikan models have a special way to disassemble them that is both impossible to figure out without instruction, but devilishly simple once you know.

My vintage M120 mertz was super stiff, and the mertz had a completely different piston system to other 120's of the day, the other 120's were friction fit so they'd tap out with a hammer but the mertz has a weird threaded system that came right out once I figured it out.

I'd probably buy that go if it didn't have a plastic clip.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 16 February 2019 - 06:19.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#54 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:25

Most older pelikan models have a special way to disassemble them that is both impossible to figure out without instruction, but devilishly simple once you know.

My vintage M120 mertz was super stiff, and the mertz had a completely different piston system to other 120's of the day, the other 120's were friction fit so they'd tap out with a hammer but the mertz has a weird threaded system that came right out once I figured it out.

I'd probably buy that go if it didn't have a plastic clip.

the clip is painted metal. Do make a post on the pen you figured out. It will help others.

#55 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:57

Not sure if you would be interested in vintage pens. If so, consider the Esterbrook J series of pens. Easy to take apart and dozens of nibs available for your writing preference. You might be able to find 2 for your budget or one and a few nibs to try. The other option is the venerable but amazing Parker 45. Thin, long, and easy to take apart with interchangeable nibs. I use both regularly, and I find them a joy to use. You can spend a lifetime collecting either version (or both).

Buzz

#56 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:02

the clip is painted metal. Do make a post on the pen you figured out. It will help others.

Oh? 

(bleep), I'll buy it then.

I found out about the 120 mertz on this forum by googling it. The info's already out there.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#57 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:32

i use tripod technique for both hands from the very beginning. if arm writing can make that much of a difference, i will definitely go for it. i read the article you provided in the link, its quite useful. i will definitely try it.

Glad to hear that :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ergonomic, smooth

Sponsored Content

|