Smoothest Ergonomic Pen Within 50$

kikopens

That's awesome K-Singh. I hope to be right there at that same level this time next year....but with "pretty" writing, as it is currently legible, but not at all pretty...lol.

Yes the handwriting does take a toss when you shift to arm writing. But totally worth it in my opinion :)

Also, you mentioned above that it was very hard for you, and I have heard the same from others too. But I got used to it within a month or two I guess, and without much effort (Not saying this to brag or anything)

By the way, where did you learn it from. My single and only source of learning this was an excellent article from PaperPenalia (You can read it here if interested). And I didn't even practice the exercises that the writer mentions there. Still, very grateful to have come across that article. It made me realize that I was writing the "wrong" way for the past 28 years, and helped me to form a new way of writing that I'll probably be using for the rest of my life.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kikopens

• K Singh

• hari317

• Bo Bo Olson

I don't like the tripod, in it often leads to the Death Grip and the Deadly Kung Fu Thumb Pinch.

I prefer the forefinger up....which is a painless automatic light grip on a fountain pen.

Was mentioned before.....but like many folks who use ball points don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen.

Others don't have three minutes to try a different, more efficient grip.

Arm writing is advised by those who have learned it....less fatigue.

One can take a day and learn....with in a week it will be normal.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't like the tripod, in it often leads to the Death Grip and the Deadly Kung Fu Thumb Pinch.

I prefer the forefinger up....which is a painless automatic light grip on a fountain pen.

Was mentioned before.....but like many folks who use ball points don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen.

Others don't have three minutes to try a different, more efficient grip.

Arm writing is advised by those who have learned it....less fatigue.

One can take a day and learn....with in a week it will be normal.

Coming from ballpoints, I was used to the death grip. Having got accustomed to the tripod grip now, I find it very comfortable. I use a very light grip and let the pen write under its own weight, just like it's supposed to be. But I understand your point in how it too can lead to holding your pen too tightly.

I wish more people spent some time in learning the proper writing technique. It not only helps in having a comfortable and relaxed writing experience, but will also be good for the health of your forefingers or wrists in the long run.

I would recommend this pen

Pelikan GO Fountain pen M with Box, new old stock

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-GO-Fountain-pen-M-with-Box-new-old-stock/183682074026?hash=item2ac44e05aa:g:ZtkAAOSwIFtZ6xwu

I have one and I use it all the time.

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

I've heard good things about the "GO." Do be aware when shopping that there are two versions; a piston filler and cartridge pen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-GO-Fountain-pen-M-with-Box-new-old-stock/183682074026?hash=item2ac44e05aa:g:ZtkAAOSwIFtZ6xwu

edited to turn shipping into shopping, duh!

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thanks for brining it up! I had not heard of it and just bought ones available via your link.

Thanks for brining it up! I had not heard of it and just bought ones available via your link.

I posted a comparison post of the two versions here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/182932-pelikan-go/

The piston filler cant be disassembled for relube servicing etc.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I posted a comparison post of the two versions here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/182932-pelikan-go/

The piston filler cant be disassembled for relube servicing etc.

I saw that after seeing it above I looked at the reviews including your comparison. The nib is friction fit, maybe the piston can be greased with the nib and feed pulled out.

I saw that after seeing it above I looked at the reviews including your comparison. The nib is friction fit, maybe the piston can be greased with the nib and feed pulled out.

thats a good idea. I havent tried that. Maybe someone will and post some results. Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

thats a good idea. I havent tried that. Maybe someone will and post some results.

Actually just watched the review again from SBRE Brown and after he says you can pull out the nib and feed as they are friction fit there is a little barrier inside that would keep you from greasing the piston that way. Oh well.

Yes the handwriting does take a toss when you shift to arm writing. But totally worth it in my opinion :)

Also, you mentioned above that it was very hard for you, and I have heard the same from others too. But I got used to it within a month or two I guess, and without much effort (Not saying this to brag or anything)

By the way, where did you learn it from. My single and only source of learning this was an excellent article from PaperPenalia (You can read it here if interested). And I didn't even practice the exercises that the writer mentions there. Still, very grateful to have come across that article. It made me realize that I was writing the "wrong" way for the past 28 years, and helped me to form a new way of writing that I'll probably be using for the rest of my life.

i use tripod technique for both hands from the very beginning. if arm writing can make that much of a difference, i will definitely go for it. i read the article you provided in the link, its quite useful. i will definitely try it.

Edited by Arijitdutta

well some ebay links doesn't open from here in India... i will definitely look it up

Actually just watched the review again from SBRE Brown and after he says you can pull out the nib and feed as they are friction fit there is a little barrier inside that would keep you from greasing the piston that way. Oh well.

Most older pelikan models have a special way to disassemble them that is both impossible to figure out without instruction, but devilishly simple once you know.

My vintage M120 mertz was super stiff, and the mertz had a completely different piston system to other 120's of the day, the other 120's were friction fit so they'd tap out with a hammer but the mertz has a weird threaded system that came right out once I figured it out.

I'd probably buy that go if it didn't have a plastic clip.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Most older pelikan models have a special way to disassemble them that is both impossible to figure out without instruction, but devilishly simple once you know.

My vintage M120 mertz was super stiff, and the mertz had a completely different piston system to other 120's of the day, the other 120's were friction fit so they'd tap out with a hammer but the mertz has a weird threaded system that came right out once I figured it out.

I'd probably buy that go if it didn't have a plastic clip.

the clip is painted metal. Do make a post on the pen you figured out. It will help others.

Not sure if you would be interested in vintage pens. If so, consider the Esterbrook J series of pens. Easy to take apart and dozens of nibs available for your writing preference. You might be able to find 2 for your budget or one and a few nibs to try. The other option is the venerable but amazing Parker 45. Thin, long, and easy to take apart with interchangeable nibs. I use both regularly, and I find them a joy to use. You can spend a lifetime collecting either version (or both).

Buzz

the clip is painted metal. Do make a post on the pen you figured out. It will help others.

Oh?

(bleep), I'll buy it then.

I found out about the 120 mertz on this forum by googling it. The info's already out there.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

i use tripod technique for both hands from the very beginning. if arm writing can make that much of a difference, i will definitely go for it. i read the article you provided in the link, its quite useful. i will definitely try it.

Glad to hear that :)

• 3 years later...

This comment is SO after the fact, but I'm dealing w/ the same concern. Did you find a pen to fit your needs after all? Please tell me.

Though not the nicest looking pen, I like using the Lamy Nexx (student pen under $50 USD) for the ergonomic fit: large triangle grip section and rubber coating. Unfortunately, Lamy nibs tend to be stingy w/ ink, but their gold nib is apparently buttery smooth. I'm considering the gold nib + the Nexx, but it's kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. Not sure I want to do that.

Others have mentioned arm-writing, which I'm currently trying in order to reduce my death-grip. I have found that placing a square cutout of glossy magazine paper under my wrist helps free up the arm motion. It's my hack for the original suggestion of using a playing card from this YT video: 

If you can find a used one, the Nemosine pens were ergonomic - I got one for my mother.  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Pilot penmanship?

Few pens have rubbery grips aside from ebonite (see above for indian options and vintage) which isn't the same as a rubberized grip but still a little better than plastic, and way better than metal.

I found the Faber castell loom on the heavy side, and furthermore top-heavy