The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Smoothest Ergonomic Pen Within 50$

ergonomic smooth

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 21:36

What defines "ergonomic"?

There are those who would class the Lamy Safari/Al-Star, with its somewhat triangular section, to be "ergonomic" (shaped to best fit the body).

i own 2 safari fine which writes like a medium and my friend owns another fine one which actually writes like an european fine! the grip section is fine for me, but dont want to buy another safari! 

Sponsored Content

#22 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2019 - 22:49

i was looking into asapens, they offer both Jowo and Schmidt nibs. which one to go for if i am going for a fine nib ?

I have good experience with both nibs, so can't say one is better than other. Having said that, schmidt nibs are priced less than jowo ones, so I tend to prefer them. But there are more experienced members than me here who can probably point out the finer differences between the two nibs.

Frankly, I would suggest you to pick one and try for yourself. Along the way you'll surely buy more pens, so I'd just suggest you to not think too much about all the options, and just pull the trigger and buy one today.  :) The more choices you have, and the more varied experiences you get from here will only confuse you further.

#23 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:47

If you're in india, an indian ebonite pen with a modern jowo or schmidt (neither is better) nib. India makes some of the most comfortable pens using ebonite.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#24 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:24

i was looking into asapens, they offer both Jowo and Schmidt nibs. which one to go for if i am going for a fine nib ?

I prefer Schmidt.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#25 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:28

For around 2400/- on amazon.in there is scrikss 419 piston filler, a pelikan m200 copy made in Turkey. I bought one recently at the India pen show and the pen is quite good.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#26 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:35

I have good experience with both nibs, so can't say one is better than other. Having said that, schmidt nibs are priced less than jowo ones, so I tend to prefer them. But there are more experienced members than me here who can probably point out the finer differences between the two nibs.

Frankly, I would suggest you to pick one and try for yourself. Along the way you'll surely buy more pens, so I'd just suggest you to not think too much about all the options, and just pull the trigger and buy one today.  :) The more choices you have, and the more varied experiences you get from here will only confuse you further.

yeah the more you think, the more you get puzzled. i just ordered the asa maya matt black finish ebonite one with a schmidt nib as hari told! i will be looking forward to one of the jowo nibs as well in the future! thanks to all of you! 

#27 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:40

For around 2400/- on amazon.in there is scrikss 419 piston filler, a pelikan m200 copy made in Turkey. I bought one recently at the India pen show and the pen is quite good.

i will keep it in my wishlist! taking one step at a time. thanks for the suggestion btw  :)

#28 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:06

yeah the more you think, the more you get puzzled. i just ordered the asa maya matt black finish ebonite one with a schmidt nib as hari told! i will be looking forward to one of the jowo nibs as well in the future! thanks to all of you! 

I like the design of the Maya, and perhaps will get that some day. Do share your experience here once you get the pen.

#29 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:14

Pelikano.

#30 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:05

Pelikano.

:thumbup: :lticaptd:ergonomic as all hell. Lamy makes a similar ergonomic pin....don't know how butter smooth they are but that could be arranged. 

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 15 February 2019 - 11:07.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#31 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:37

Pelikan Stola III.

#32 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 13:29

Pelikan Stola III.

Pelikano.

Are these pens available with a fine nib? Both pens are excellent. ESP the older Pelikanos. My complaint with my stola is that it does not post properly.

The hero 100 with a 14k nib is another excellent candidate under 50usd when bought from ycguo.

#33 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 14:41

Pelikan Stola III.

i cant find the pelikan stola III in goulet nib book. can you tell me how much the line differs from a pilot metropolitan medium? 

#34 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 17:02

Any suggestions for a very smooth ergonomic writer at a minimum feedback which can be comfortably used for 3-4 hours at stretch within 50$? (excluding preppy and plaisir). 

If you don't currently use arm writing, you should give it a try. Writing that much, for that long - with ANY pen - will be fatiguing with finger writing.

#35 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 17:37

Many good pieces of advice already but I would suggest the TWSBI Eco. Ergos are very good and they hold a ton of ink.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#36 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 17:51

If you don't currently use arm writing, you should give it a try. Writing that much, for that long - with ANY pen - will be fatiguing with finger writing.

i am not used to arm writing, but tried it a while ago... ended up writing words in an alien language  :D

#37 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 17:53

Many good pieces of advice already but I would suggest the TWSBI Eco. Ergos are very good and they hold a ton of ink.

twsbi ecos are extremely costly in India.. costs 56 dollar in India whereas it costs around 29$ outside

#38 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 18:32

Fully agree with this. Shifting to arm writing and using a tripod grip are the two best things I did last year, that have directly impacted how much can I write in a single writing session.

Now I write anywhere between 6-10 pages continuously without feeling any pain in my wrist or fingers, which wasn't the case before.

#39 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 18:37

i am not used to arm writing, but tried it a while ago... ended up writing words in an alien language  :D

I am learning it now. It is very hard. Probably similar to when I first learned cursive so long ago. But my pen hand is never tired at the end, and I use much less pressure on the pen itself. I will pursue it for now...hopefully I get better soon.

#40 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 18:39

Fully agree with this. Shifting to arm writing and using a tripod grip are the two best things I did last year, that have directly impacted how much can I write in a single writing session.

Now I write anywhere between 6-10 pages continuously without feeling any pain in my wrist or fingers, which wasn't the case before.

That's awesome K-Singh. I hope to be right there at that same level this time next year....but with "pretty" writing, as it is currently legible, but not at all pretty...lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ergonomic, smooth

Sponsored Content

|