Dallas Pen Show Sep. 27 & 28

OneRiotOneRanger

For many years, I have been an exhibitor at the Dallas show. Last year, I could not make it, as my battle with

Parkinsonism was too debilitating. It is no less debilitating now, nor will it be in September (it doesn't get

better, you just learn to deal with it). I would very much like to be there this year, however, with the

primary intention of disposing of virtually all of my pen collection (modern ballpoints and rollerballs, with

a few fountain pens, and pen ephemera) numbering several hundred items, so that I can retire, however

gracefully I am able.

The problem is with that word "can" - a lot of things I can't do: sitting and/or standing at my tables for a

couple of days is more than my body can tolerate. Sleep will probably overcome me a couple of times during

each day. For those with no experience with Parkinsonism, fatigue is one component.

For those who have been to a pen show, the event is fun, but it is also work, and I need someone to help me

with my work at the show. Trustworthy, dependable, some knowledge of pens, maybe a resident of the Dallas

part of the world are requirements. Meals/snacks both days are on me. I'll be staying at the hotel, and, if

you need to, that's something we can talk about.

It's two long days: from set-up Friday (starting about 8 AM) until 8 PM and 9-5 on Saturday. If you're looking

for an adventure, or just to have some fun/learn something about the things we write with, or just to help out

a disabled old guy, the person I need could be you. It's a nice crowd, and my farewell to many friends and

something I have over 60 years with, so it should be a pleasant place to spend two days of your life.

Any interest, please contact me at penbloch at gmail dot com. Thanks for looking. Paul

Edited by OneRiotOneRanger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibliophage

• OneRiotOneRanger

• PAKMAN

• Fuzzy_Bear

I see some of you have read my post, but no replies, yet. That's ok, as the show is still over seven months

away. I got to thinking about how my day has gone so far, and the periods of sleep, followed by periods of

being awake, are very much the new normal for me. I guess that's going to mean that whoever is interested in

helping out had better plan on manning my table for most of the two days of the show. I figure it will be

busy - lots of stuff to sell, at closeout prices. I will try to help, as much as my body allows, but it's

gotten a little unreliable these last couple of years. Full disclosure. And suggestions or recommendations

are welcome.

Wish I could help but I'm already scheduled to man a table for the show. Maybe some of the Dallas pen club folks can help you with suggestions or offers.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a resident of Dallas, and will definitely be there in September. I can help. If necessary, I can be there both days. :)

If you like, I can also either ask around at the Dallas Pen Club or get you directly in touch with one of the event organizers to see if we can arrange some more volunteers. We've had a few members who made the decision to liquidate their collections under similar circumstances.

I have contacted John privately, but his wonderful news means that I will again be

able to see my many friends at this years show. If anybody else wants to help, too,

it would be welcomed.

Like the old song says, see you in September!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother spent decades dealing with Parkinson's, so I'm definitely sympathetic. I'm grateful that you're still up and going, and passing on your collection to others that will appreciate it. Good luck with it, and I hope to make it to the show this year, myself. I haven't been there in a decade.

• 5 months later...

The Dallas Pen Show is getting so close and not much being said this year. Just wanted to get people talking about it and what they are hoping to see and old and new friends that they have met or hope to meet. I know that I can't wait, seems like its just a few weeks away. I have a vintage duo cart I would like to get Danny Fudge t look at and maybe get writing again. Just can't wait to see what people bring and what sellers have...…..Anyone else waiting for the show to start?

I'm very excited and ready to head over to Dallas! It's always fun to meet up with the Dallas pen club bunch and all the great vendors and patrons of the Dallas show! We always have such a great time!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

I have been very busy getting 500 or so pens ready for the show. My collection will never be confused with that

of Sarj Minhas; it is not only smaller, but far more humble, and almost completely bereft of fountain pens. I

also have a good bit of ephemera, and am looking forward to this being my last show as an exhibitor. I am very

much looking forward to seeing many old friends, some, I suppose, for the very last time, as I become physically

less capable of active involvement. That said, there will be plenty of sales at my table - I hope to sell off

all of my collection - at going-out-of-business prices. I'll have a name that pen contest, with a prize giveaway,

and am looking forward to seeing some kids I've watched grow, other returning customers, and for the opportunity

to thank Mike Walker and Pete Kirby, et al, for their efforts over the years.

Please stop by my tables and say hello and, perhaps, goodbye, and maybe purchase a souvenir or two. Saturday,

the 28th will be my wedding anniversary, and I'll be away from my wife. You can help remedy that by making a

purchase, and contributing to the fund for a memorable gift or two for her.

I'll be ready to go bright and early on the morning of September 27 - see y'all then!

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been packing to drive to Dallas tomorrow, and be at the show on Saturday. I have five pens to be looked at by a repair person to get some estimates (All Sheaffer). Unfortunately, my mother's old gold Sheaffer seems to have disappeared somewhere in my house, and I'm irritated as heck. It needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

I'm hoping to pick up a bottle of Akkerman as well.

I have a Boston Safety Pen to sell, but I need to take some decent photos and just sell it on here :)

Hello all,

It is my first pen show after 11 years of collecting and using fountain pens. To the OP, I will try to make it to your table, I plan to be at the show early and stay late, Im here in a hotel room getting ready to rest now.

Gobblecup ~

Now sitting in a hotel room in Fort Worth. I'll probably be at the pen show around 1 PM. Hopefully there will still be some ink left :) My wife refused to believe me when I told her how long it was going to take to drive to Fort Worth from home, and delayed an extra two hours - which means that what we were going to do Friday evening has to be done Saturday morning.

Needless to say - it's always my fault.

I was there yesterday. It was the second time for me and the first time for my wife. We had a great time. I went there with two goals. First, I sought help to reduce the gap between tines on my Pineider Arco. They were so wide that sometimes the ink could not make it to the paper causing frequent hard starts. The kind people at the registration table suggested that I go to The Write Pen table just inside the main door. There I found an amazing restorer who fixed my nib beautifully and graciously at no charge! Later yesterday I found his web site. I recommend his work.

My second goal was to pick up some dot grid notebooks. I know I could get those on-line easily enough, but there is something nice about talking to a friendly person while transacting small purchases.

Though I did not have a third goal, The Dromgooles table got me. I have had my eye on the Pineider mystery filler (you know the one, the most beautiful one: black and rose gold demonstrator). They offered it to me at a really significant discount. So my unknown third goal was also achieved.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to put on that show. I suspect the work may seem thankless at times. And this little post doesn't go far enough.

I am already looking forward to the 2020 Dallas Pen Show!

Dromgoole's is a staple of Houston pens - They're a great store to visit.

As for me, I dropped a snorkel and two Parker 51 Vacumatics off at Danny Fudge's table, and they suggested Sherrell for the Sheaffers - where I dropped off another three.

I may not end up keeping all of the pens, but I'd like to be able to try them first. I figure that if they aren't what I want, I'll aim for break even on selling them. I _hope_ that the Sheaffers don't end up costing me $100 each :)

I also ran across PAKMAN and annoyed him for a few minutes with some conversation. Hopefully he doesn't hold it against me, especially after I managed to mis-write my address _twice_.

Home from the show. and resting up now. A busy, well-attended show, with lots of nice people stopping by. I achieved my sales objective, exceeded my smiles objective, and was overwhelmed by the many kindnesses I received from friends, old and new. With the immense help I received from John Davis and Pace Irvin, I was able to get a lot done. Farewell for me to a lot of old friends. An Tranh was his usual good for me, good for him self, and I will miss his candor, honesty and energy. I lost my voice somewhere along the way, but that didn't stop me. I had a great couple of days, and arrived home safely last evening, very tired.

As my sign said, it was my last rodeo, but I was left with many fond memories, and was most impressed by the alomst-universal thoughtfulness which came my way.

I saw (too) many people, probably for the last time ever. I'll miss almost all of you/them.

Not by the way, the Hilton Doubletree people went out of their way to be disagreeable, the only rain on the parade.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say hello - I wasn't sure what table was yours; I'm glad that you had a successful show with exceeded expectations.

BW

Incredible show and loved talking to everyone! Great to talk with OneRiotOneRanger and Bibliophage and so many others! So much fun! I sold 10 of my pens of the 11 I brought to sell. Bought 8 and resold 4 of those. Can't wait for next years show! Already making plans!

PAKMAN

Incredible show and loved talking to everyone! Great to talk with OneRiotOneRanger and Bibliophage and so many others! So much fun! I sold 10 of my pens of the 11 I brought to sell. Bought 8 and resold 4 of those. Can't wait for next years show! Already making plans!

Are you sure you didn't hold those four in your inventory too long? :)

Sorry I missed you, Danny and Larry from Dromgooles. Had a family emergency.

See y'all next year!

Peace and Understanding