Repair To A Pfm

jack852

I have a relatively new to me PFM. When I first got it, everything worked great. Lately, though, I have developed a filling issue.

During the filling process, when I push in the plunger to seal up the pen, ink squirts out of the nozzle. This effectively expels the ink that is in the pen.

I'm trying to identify the issue to see if it is simple enough for me to try and fix on my own, and if not, to try and get a referral to someone that does good work on these kinds of pens.

I'm am not sure if the rules permit referrals on the board, so if it is problematic, please just ignore that part of this post.

I appreciate any thoughts...

<b>Montblanc</b>: 149 M

<b>Visconti</b>: Wall Street LE F, Van Gogh M Cursive Italic

<b>Parker</b>: Yellowstone DJ 51, 51 1943 Vac, 51 Aero, Vac 1946

<b>Pelikan</b>: 405 Binder Stub, 405 Binder xxf/xxxf Flex DuoPoint , 405 EF

<b>Aurora</b>: 88K

<b>Stipula</b>: Etruria Amber F

<b>Sheaffer</b>: Lifetime Triumph 1942-48

<b>Sailo</b><b>r</b>: Professional Gear EF

<b>Esterbroo</b>k: J, SJ

<b>Waterman's</b>: Ideal 55

<b>Pilot</b>: Faceted Vanishing Point F, Stealth VP OB Mottishaw Stub

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• jack852

• Paul80

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

It sounds like you are not filling it properly, the snorkel tube sould be in the ink bottle submerged in ink, then you push the plunger.

If you depress the plunger away from the bottle any ink left in the pen will be spurred out.

Paul

A snorkel is a pneumatic filler. Pushing the touchdown tube down compresses the air in the barrel. When you hear the "chiff" at the end of the stroke, the air pressure is released, the sac expands and ink flows through the snorkel tube into the sac.

To fill a snorkel, pull unscrew the blind cap while holding it down to push the snorkel tube forward. Pull the blind cap and tube back, immerse the snorkel tube in the ink and push the blind cap and tube down into the pen. Wait 5-10 seconds for the pen to fill, then pull the snorkel tube out of the ink, screw the blind cap down to retract the snorkel tube.

If you want to try for more ink, you can repeat the cycle. DO NOT PULL THE BLIND CAP BACK WITH THE NIB AND SNORKEL TUBE IN THE INK OR IN WATER. This creates a vacuum in the barrel, which can pull ink in around the point holder gasket.

Note that on the first fill, you often have to immerse the nib completely in the ink to wet the feed completely. After that, you should only have to immerse the snorkel tube.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.