Hi. I have just bought my first Esterbrook fountain pen and have a couple of queries. First of all, can anyone tell me what model of pen this is and its approximate age? The other issue is that I thought that the pen would be in better condition than it is because of the original box, papers etc. However, when I removed the section, a lot of rust, decayed sac, and bits of a broken 'J' bar fell out. I'd like to try to repair it if possible but wondered whether anyone can suggest where I could get a replacement J bar from and whether it's straight forward to replace. Thanks in advance.
Registration on the Fountain Pen Network
Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.
Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Esterbrook - New Purchase Advice Please?
Posted 14 February 2019 - 17:05
Plan on filing or grinding the sides of the channel on the pressure bar when you get it. They're a little deep, and sometimes the lever doesn't reach deep enough for the pressure bar to hold the lever flat against the barrel.
My first Esterbrook was a new J like yours back in the early 70s.
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...
Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.
Posted 15 February 2019 - 19:05
Posted 30 May 2019 - 18:54
do not forget to buy cheap esties and salvage the nib , sections, levers wit ring, the top and bottom jewel
save them for a rainy repair day.
Over time you will be surprised by how many Esterbrook labeled sac's you will find still pliable
You may need a bit of inginuity to save the above but over time it will pay.
Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today