Hi. I have just bought my first Esterbrook fountain pen and have a couple of queries. First of all, can anyone tell me what model of pen this is and its approximate age? The other issue is that I thought that the pen would be in better condition than it is because of the original box, papers etc. However, when I removed the section, a lot of rust, decayed sac, and bits of a broken 'J' bar fell out. I'd like to try to repair it if possible but wondered whether anyone can suggest where I could get a replacement J bar from and whether it's straight forward to replace. Thanks in advance.
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Esterbrook - New Purchase Advice Please?
Posted 14 February 2019 - 17:05
Plan on filing or grinding the sides of the channel on the pressure bar when you get it. They're a little deep, and sometimes the lever doesn't reach deep enough for the pressure bar to hold the lever flat against the barrel.
My first Esterbrook was a new J like yours back in the early 70s.
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...
Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.
Posted 15 February 2019 - 19:05