The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Ballpoint Cartridge Replacement Source Found

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Penariffic

Penariffic

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 20:14

I recently acquired an Esterbrook M2 three set with fountain pen, pencil and ballpoint.  the ballpoint cartridge was, of course, dried out.  I searched here for possible replacement ideas, only to find that a lot of elbow grease and careful surgery would be required. This is the Esterbrook D-42 "Super Tex" ballpoint cartridge.

While staring at its design, I knew I had seen a cartridge that looked similar in length and design where it mattered.  I found a replacement cartridge that works perfectly with ZERO modifications or adjustments. It just goes right in with no trouble.  However (of course, right), it isn't a replacement you can just go to the store and buy. 

I acquired the cartridge from a Renaissance Hotel ball point pen. The pen is all silver plastic metallic. The ballpoint cartridge is all white plastic with no markings.

I did some research on where that hotel gets its pens and found this information:

Their pens are acquired from Alibaba.com mass product page. The pen in question is from the Yiwu Bonku Stationery Factory from the port of Ningbo/Shanghai.

From there, I narrowed it down to Ningbo Qio Stationery & Gifts Manufactory.  the cartridge is called the Jumbo Ballpoint Refill.

The question is, how can these refills be acquired at a reasonable amount?  If I create an account and attempt an order, they want to sell me 500,000 units at .0.01 a unit.

I suppose one could contact Renaissance Hotels and ask for a handful of their pens for $5.00.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Content

#2 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 17:04

You have a keen eye! I can't help with the refill that you are describing, but for other Esterbrook ballpoint owners, please be aware that the M2 used a different refill than the earlier FJ/Wordathon/Deluxe ballpoints. Those had a unique refill that incorporated four "teeth" on the side that served as part of the click action mechanism. I have created a 3D printed adapter that has those "teeth" and lets you use a modern D1 (mini) refill in those earlier Esterbrook ballpoints. Here's a link to my Shapeways page where you can order an adapter:

BamaPen's Shapeways Shop

Sponsored Content

|