Frankennibbed Waterman

eharriett

I knew I'd be in for something nice when I saw the listing on 'dabay, but I really like it.

A couple of bad pics and a broken nib but a great price for an old Canadian Waterman. The nib looked bad in the pics (and the wrong one) and I got clarification. Sure enough, someone fit a Parker nib on it once upon a time. And it was very much broken. But I couldn't beat the price. So got the pen.

Came last night. There is no pic online or that I can take which seems to capture the unique color of this pen. It's almost pearlized, but with a tinge of sea green that makes it unique among colors I've seen. And I can't capture it or I'd show that. Soaked the pen. Came apart no prob. The nib is definitely a Parker. Someone put a Parker #4 on that pen. And it broke. I knew that going in. No prob there. But what kind of nib would fit this pen? And what model pen is it? Lastly, is this the correct feed? I do not have any other Watermans of this era (I'm assuming late 30-'s to 40's) with a feed that has the orange stripe on the bottom.

Really happy with the acquisition. Just hoping to get it to work once again.

JeV4lWC.jpg

StPrr6e.jpg

aEElSFY.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• pen lady

• RMN

• gregamckinney

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help you with the nib and feed.

Nice looking pen. Looks Mother of Pearl to me, but quite dirty. Might clean up nicely with a small drop of soft soap and then buff it with a sunshine cloth. Just lightly.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I thought it was mother of pearl too. The green appears to be spread uniformly. Lead me to believe it is part of the color though. But I do intend to give it a good cleaning and see if the color changes any

That is a standard color of the Waterman pens of the era. They made mother of pearl looking "nurse's pens," but those are very different looking.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

That is a standard color of the Waterman pens of the era. They made mother of pearl looking "nurse's pens," but those are very different looking.

Best Regards, greg

Agreed. I've seen those at shows. Admired the look. I still can't identify these, but they aren't them.

I polished and used a restorative. It definitely brought out the shine in the pearl, and lightened the green, but it is definitely a greenish pearl. Remains unusual.

Canadian pens seem to have a distinctive greenish-grey look to them. This one will take a #2 nib and the pen model is a Stalwart (I think). Nice sturdy pens and if you can find a flexible #2 you're laughing. Well done.

Canadian pens seem to have a distinctive greenish-grey look to them. This one will take a #2 nib and the pen model is a Stalwart (I think). Nice sturdy pens and if you can find a flexible #2 you're laughing. Well done.

Stalwart. Never heard of that. But thanks. I shall look into. Doesn't seem to be popular. And thanks for the nib size. Something to look for.

Do those feeds typically have that orange stripe on the bottom?

I think these 1940's Waterman pens came with plain, hard black rubber feeds. If the nib was replaced in your pen, it's possible that the feed is a replacement from an earlier pen. Someone raiding their parts bin!

Have a look at the website of our member Ernst Bitterman.

Maybe one of his pictures and descriptions will help.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~