The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Different Is The Platinum Balance From The Plaisir In Terms Of Writing ?

balance plaisir

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:01

I have a Preppy and a Plaisir. They both have a similar nib and writes the same with a good touch of feedback. Though I love butter-y smooth pens, but I do enjoy the pleasant feedback of both the Platinums I own. 

I heard that Balance and Cool nibs are different from Plaisir ones, how different is the writing experience? Do they write smoothly or they give off that same feedback? Or any other parameters? 

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:48

The nibs on the Platinum Balance are slightly bouncy, in a way that the Plaisir/Preppy nibs aren't. The Balance has a (pretty good) plastic body, while the Plaisir is made of aluminium, so the weight and balance of the pens are different from each other. On the whole, I think the Plaisir/Preppy Fine(03) nibs leave marginally thicker lines with marginally less feedback than the Fine nibs on the Balance.

This is from test-writing on the same sheet of paper with three F-nibbed Platinum Balance pens, three F-nibbed Plaisir/Preppy and two EF-nibbed Plaisir/Preppy pens, all with different inks. At those narrow line widths, the choice of ink can make a noticeable difference, of course.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balance, plaisir

Sponsored Content

|