The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Duofold International Nib Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phillaf

phillaf

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 22:43

Good day, all!  I had a question about my nib.  I have a Duofold International that I bought new about 1992 or so.  It is blue marble and has a nib with the arrow pointing toward the tip.  When I unscrew the nib to replace the cartridge, it does not look like pictures of nibs like mine I see online.  In pictures, the nib has a gold band at the rear, and a gold colored metal collar with metal threads on it.  My nib section is black, no gold collar, and the threads are plastic.  I am noticing a gold band on the end of the barrel (where the nib screws into) and what looks like metal inside the barrel connected to the gold band.  On my nib, the plastic tip that fits into the cartridge is totally exposed.  I am wondering if the metal part of the nib unscrewed from the black plastic part of the nib and is now stuck inside my barrel?  If so, any simple ways to remove it?  Hard to get a grip on the gold ring as it is relatively thin.  Thoughts?

Phil 

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:02

Does your International look like this?

Blue.Inter.1.jpg

#3 phillaf

phillaf

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:24

Exactly so.

#4 phillaf

phillaf

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:25

BTW, is that a Pelikan Grand Place in your picture?

#5 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:55

Yes. A great pen.

Also, it would be handy if you posted a picure of your International that shows the problem areas you're talking about.

Edited by RoyalBear, 11 February 2019 - 23:55.

#6 phillaf

phillaf

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:05

IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG

]Here is my pen.  Perhaps the metal collar around the rear of the nib assembly separated?

Edited by phillaf, 12 February 2019 - 01:53.

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:58

Yes the metal part in the barrel should have stayed on the pen section instead of being in the barrel. A bit of rubber bike tire or such should give you enough grip to get it to thread out of the barrel.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 phillaf

phillaf

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:03

Well, Thank you.  I didn't want to twist the thing and risk cracking the barrel if it was supposed to be like this.  I've had the pen out of service for a while and couldn't remember if this was the way it was supposed to be or if it had separated.  I think I can get it out with a piece of rubber like you recommended.  Thanks again!

Phil

Sponsored Content

|