Top Posters In This Topic

• arcfide

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• mjchuang9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Numister,

I have all the three FM, M, and B of Custom Urushi. Compared FM Custom Urushi to Expression Flex 149, if just gliding on the paper, C.U is softer than flex. However putting on pressure, you will find flex can do more line variations than C.U. I don't think flex is mushy, just flexible a little bit though.

in addition, Wahl-Eversharp Decoband flexible is softer ( C.U. is the softest among the three ) and flex from F to B, MB can flex from EEF to M.

MJ,

Thank you very, very much for your comprehensive reply. I've been deliberating between the CU FM and MB for about two weeks now.

Given your broad range of experiences, I'm glad to hear that in your opinion, the MB is not mushy.

While I've been wanting to get into Urushi-coated pens for a while, the MB will break my pen-piggy bank this year instead because of your evaluation.

As for the Wahl-Eversharp: love the design, and it's a similar price to this flex MB, but I'm nitpicky, so their recent change to a cut-feed design knocks them off of the list.

A last question, though, out of curiosity: which one do you like more: CU FM or CU M?

Again, thanks a lot. I hope you enjoy your new acquisition. I'll post a review of the Montblanc 149 "flex" when I get it, after 1st September: that'll be my first review!

Nurmister

Edited by Nurmister

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

I meant don't be surprised when the prices change once the pens actually become available to him.

Interesting you say that. I checked with FPH and they said: 980 USD retail, their price is 890 USD *if the price doesn't change before release*. This was a few days ago.

They said price changes occur due to currency fluctuations. Given how close we are to release, though, I don't think there should be a change...

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

Interesting you say that. I checked with FPH and they said: 980 USD retail, their price is 890 USD *if the price doesn't change before release*. This was a few days ago.

They said price changes occur due to currency fluctuations. Given how close we are to release, though, I don't think there should be a change...

Hoping I be proved wrong for you guy's sake but..

The ruthenium version is not limited. Retailers might discount it much to Montblanc's dislike, its their business model. The Expression flex version is limited to 500 pieces worldwide, Dubai gets 15 pieces! France as an entire country, 25.

So my thoughts are, good luck to these dealers getting several (the boutiques and big stores will want the lion share naturally) and that if they do, they'll discount? Doubtful.

I never heard of any limitation to the fountain pen with flex nib except the maki-e version.

Every pen that's not in the regular production must have a limitation right? Even if un-announced.

Like the 90 Year Anniversary.. they said 'lets make x amount of pieces to sell over 2 years' for example.

The Blue Hour Skeleton was not officially limited, but it is so rare because they only made 150 pieces. The 90 Year Skeleton same story they made 500. The UNICEF skeleton, they made 1,000.

When I sat down with Axel (head of nib department) he said 'we will only make 500 of these nibs'. That is because they don't follow the standard template and are forged differently.

Oh I see. As the sales rep in my boutique didn’t really want to say if this is a limited edition because there is no limited number engraved on it. However he did show me the maki-e at the end.

MJ,

Thank you very, very much for your comprehensive reply. I've been deliberating between the CU FM and MB for about two weeks now.

Given your broad range of experiences, I'm glad to hear that in your opinion, the MB is not mushy.

While I've been wanting to get into Urushi-coated pens for a while, the MB will break my pen-piggy bank this year instead because of your evaluation.

As for the Wahl-Eversharp: love the design, and it's a similar price to this flex MB, but I'm nitpicky, so their recent change to a cut-feed design knocks them off of the list.

A last question, though, out of curiosity: which one do you like more: CU FM or CU M?

Again, thanks a lot. I hope you enjoy your new acquisition. I'll post a review of the Montblanc 149 "flex" when I get it, after 1st September: that'll be my first review!

Nurmister

Hi Numister,

I personally prefer CU Vermilion M for daily writer.

I am looking forward to reading your review.

Edited by mjchuang9

Oh I see. As the sales rep in my boutique didn’t really want to say if this is a limited edition because there is no limited number engraved on it. However he did show me the maki-e at the end.

The Maki-e prototype is the only one in existence as of today. It is safely either in Hamburg or touring the world with a VIP Montblanc PR rep. Are you sure its the one you saw? Or you mean a picture of it?

As far as I understand, the Elixir inks are India inks.

I find this odd because Montblanc only sells fountain pens, not designed to work with India inks.

Speaking of the pens, the new nibs look quite interesting. Not the most elegant design, but novel. That's all I'll say for now.

So the Elixir inks are non-fountain pen inks?

The Maki-e prototype is the only one in existence as of today. It is safely either in Hamburg or touring the world with a VIP Montblanc PR rep. Are you sure its the one you saw? Or you mean a picture of it?

It’s already on sale.

My understanding is that Artisan clients are in the process of being contacted to see if they would like to have this piece in their limitation number. If they agree, the said piece carrying that number will be produced. Once this stage is through, toward the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 the remainder may show up at Flagship boutiques.

When Montblanc makes limited pens whether 333 or 1906 or 88 not all are made in one go.

I visited my local boutique for an evening exhibition that day and took the following pictures but i left out the pics of the newly launched maki-e 149 as Im afraid of copyrights infringement. Those masterpieces shown in the pics are the vvvvvvvip collections.

My understanding is that Artisan clients are in the process of being contacted to see if they would like to have this piece in their limitation number. If they agree, the said piece carrying that number will be produced. Once this stage is through, toward the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 the remainder may show up at Flagship boutiques.

When Montblanc makes limited pens whether 333 or 1906 or 88 not all are made in one go.

Yes to some extent. Last year an artisan edition called homage to Michelangelo was already on sale in my local boutique one or two months before official launch. The sales manager already sent a lot of real life pics to attract vip customers.

I went to three Montblanc stores in Hong Kong yesterday, includingbthe flagship store in 1881. The new nibs are not in yet. Only the flagship store had heard of them. However as is often the case in Hong Kong, the service is always polite, but often not knowledgable in the luxury stores. Also after sales service is near negligible.

I just dropped by the MB store in Singapore (Raffles City) where I picked up my 149 Calligraphy Flex Nib to see if they had any more details on the Elixir inks and the like. I think that they had received 3 of the 149's in and maybe 4 - 5 of the 146 Solitaire's, some with the Expression Nib and others not. The salesman said that he had sold another one of the 149's the other day, so there appears to be some real interest in these nibs here, which is neat, since I don't even think they are on display yet.

I finally found some details on the Elixir Calligraphy Black from the sales sheet there. Unfortunately, the sales information that was available to the salesman was woefully inadequate to a real pen geek. From what I can tell, it's the exact sort of ink that I was hoping MB would make, but it's a bit beyond my price range here. They're selling for $95 SIN for 50ml here, which is beyond what I want to pay.

However, they are a black carbon pigmented ink specifically designed for fountain pens. This puts it into the same sort of category as Platinum Carbon Black and some of the Sailor (I think that's what they are called) inks.

I'm a big fan of pigmented carbon inks for permanence and for their deep saturation levels and ability to have fast dry times for high permanence levels. I strongly suspect that I would really enjoy the Elixir Black, but not at that price. I'm also curious on the drying characteristics of the Elixir vs. the standard Permanent Black.

Okay, so since the pens and inks are already listed and shown at Appelboom (available from September), I guess I can share them here safely:

Gold Leaf LE Line:

Also available:

Edited by adim

Yes to some extent. Last year an artisan edition called homage to Michelangelo was already on sale in my local boutique one or two months before official launch. The sales manager already sent a lot of real life pics to attract vip customers.

I cannot speak for past pieces because I dont recall the exact dates. The Marco Polo is now old, them having a few left over pieces at flagship boutiques isnt unheard of. Hannibal was same the year before.

This year its Amundsen and nobodys having it by walking in into a boutique for quite some time.

This year its Amundsen and nobodys having it by walking in into a boutique for quite some time.

fpn_1566810975__amundsen.png

~ Pravda:

May we suppose that strolling into the South Pole boutique on snowshoes we might be able to acquire this with an OBBB nib?

It might be wisest to pass on an Expression Calligraphy flex nib until more have reported on their experiences having written with it.

Tom K.