Mb 149 Expression Nib - Calligraphy?

admmarcos

Unfortunately, the Make-E Limited Edition 88 is not yet in official release. While you can find images of it in web searches, we cannot yet allow images of it on Fountain Pen Network until it has been officially released, as per our rules.

I removed several posts that had pictures of the Maki-E Limited Edition 88, or were responding to the pictures. Thank you for your understanding.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcfide

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• mjchuang9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn‘t this a 2019 release? It‘s included in the official press release together with the 2019 Calligraphy pens and available from several retailers.

Cheers

Michael

I thought the pictures posted were from someone who owned the pen!

Sorry, poverty blocks people's imagination -- We never saw someone riding snake like a horse, didn't we? I was told Make-E costs 3 million dollars, nobody on board has ever allowed to touch!

Edited by dbs

Almost all new MB inks suggest that don't use in flex. For example Hugo, Blue Planet, and Egyptomania. It's a pity and may I ask what MB inks do you use in flex ?

Edited by mjchuang9

Almost all new MB inks suggest that don't use in flex. For example Hugo, Blue Planet, and Egyptomania. It's a pity and may I ask what MB inks do you use in flex ?

I suspect they are saying this for performance, rather than safety, reasons. If these inks are safe to use in a regular 149 I can't see how they could possibly not be safe to use in a 149 with a flex nib.

It may well be that they are too wet (so that they feather and bleed badly) or two dry (so that they railroad) with a flex nib, but that is something you can test for yourself.

I have been enjoying a range of inks in my Calligraphy Flex 149. It is a little on the dry side compared to flex pens with ebonite feeds, so I have found wetter inks better (when your paper can handle them). At the moment I am enjoying very much Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

Edited by loganrah

I am finding Cool Grey is more prone to railroading than Mystery Black.

However, this is tempering my pressure and flex, which in turn is helping my control.

It might also be that they want people to buy the very expensive 'calligraphy' ink.

Ironically the expensive calligraphy inks cannot be used in flex. It could cause clogged. Those new inks I mentioned said "Do not use with flexible nib" in the pamphlet have more solids than other.

I use Montlanc Permanent Blue I bought earlier this year. The pamphlet does not say anything about not for use in the flex pen. Are the new inks you mentioned permanent inks?

I use Montlanc Permanent Blue I bought earlier this year. The pamphlet does not say anything about not for use in the flex pen. Are the new inks you mentioned permanent inks?

It's not necessary permanent inks but many new inks like I mentioned. Permanent inks are released before flexible nibs so don't have the words in the pamphlet. For the reason not to use flex it could be easier to get clogged. You can ask MB. I think it won't damage immediately but ink flow could be not good in long term.

Edited by mjchuang9

It's not necessary permanent inks but many new inks like I mentioned. Permanent inks are released before flexible nibs so don't have the words in the pamphlet. For the reason not to use flex it could be easier to get clogged. You can ask MB. I think it won't damage immediately but ink flow could be not good in long term.

Why would a flexible nib be more likely to clog? Presumably the ink channels in the feed should be wider to deal with the increased flow needs. I suspect marketing (bleep)

I guess the reason may be that, as you say, the ink channels need to be wider because the nib will demand more ink on flexing. If they get minimally clogged you may not see the problem on normal writing but it might starve on flexing, and by the time you realized it, it might be more difficult to clean because more clots would have developed.

But that's just a guess. And if it were so, it might lead to largely imply a heavy criticism in the design of such a expensive pen: if pens 100 years old have been able to cope with most kinds of fountain pen inks (barring some specialized inks like Parker "51" ink), then one might hypothetically argue that such a long standing pen maker should already know how to make a more durable and ink resilient flex pen.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Back in March I reached out to Montblanc Repair center in Canada and asked them specifically if it was safe to use MB Permanent Blue in my 149 flex pen, referencing the Elixir Gold Leaf ink I had which stated "not for flex pen". They told me the Permanent Blue is safe with the flex pen. So I've been using it in my pen quite a bit since then with no issues at all. I flush the pen clean whenever I refill the pen with this ink, as per the instructions that came with the ink: "It is particularly important to clean the fountain pen regularly, if permanent ink is used, as the high solids content of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system". I would highly recommend not leaving Permanent Blue in any pen if it is not going to be used regularly. Use it with intention, and do no leave the ink in the pen sitting unused for days. It's not the kind of ink you can just fill and forget.

Edited by max dog

• 2 weeks later...

For everyday use it's wonderful, if you happen to like extra-fine nibs. For all intents and purposes it's just like a regular 149 with an EF nib.

Edited by Vlad Soare

Wonderful authoritative thread. Thank you! So what is the MB flex pen for everyday use?

Yes sir. A very capable everyday user. Writes like a true EF and not like an "architect" EF. It does require a lighter hand for using it without flexing.

Edited by ljmudit