Large Ink Bottles

uceroy

Pretty sure that was the J Herbin ink bar.

You could get only the one colour you want per bottle, no mixing.

Maybe, but I think it might have been something else. There were lots of options.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• Bibliophage

• Freddy

• uceroy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're available, but Pelikan controls who they sell them to. Pelikan ink is a favorite of tattoo shops, and it really isn't intended for that use. If they suspect that it is going to such a shop, they won't sell it.

I've always founds that odd. Pelikan's "image" isn't going to be damaged by that at all. And there's enough tattoo afficionados who are also into fountain pens/calligraphy that it might even help.

More on topic is the picture at this link:

https://www.alamy.com/adolf-hitler-assorted-painting-utensils-three-boxes-of-watercolour-paint-including-tr-general-staff-colours-by-bormann-and-a-box-by-wagner-an-ato-tinter-for-art-by-koh-i-noor-copy-pencils-red-chalk-and-white-chalk-charcoal-by-gimborn-a-large-bottle-of-pelikan-iron-gall-ink-4001-a-small-bottle-of-black-ink-empty-and-assorted-utensils-including-a-large-pair-of-paper-scissors-by-witte-in-solingen-also-an-invoice-from-the-firm-fr-ant-prantl-royal-bavarian-court-purveyor-in-munich-odeonsplatz-16-and-hofgarten-arkaden-10-hitlers-preferred-shop-for-his-art-editorial-use-only-image245906025.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=2E3045EB-ADF4-43EF-A617-D75224C0D7BD&p=58867&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dhitler%2520in%2520black%2520and%2520white%26qt_raw%3dhitler%2520in%2520black%2520and%2520white%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

Maybe, but I think it might have been something else. There were lots of options.

Possibly, I usually come across the J Herbin ink bars when people share pics.

There certainly have been others, some have closed by now.

I've always founds that odd. Pelikan's "image" isn't going to be damaged by that at all. And there's enough tattoo afficionados who are also into fountain pens/calligraphy that it might even help.

Very good point here.

I don't know why the facination with big bottles. You want a big bottle? Go to your local store and buy a gallon of wine or whatever and you have one of Nathan's big bottles.

And if you did buy a gallon of green ink, what would you do with it? Use it? Nah, first of all you'd never be able to use it all. Put it on the shelf to look at? If you have the money to waste, sure. Give it away in small amounts. More trouble than it's worth. My advice? Get an empty jug, fill it with grape juice, slap on a home made label, and then post it here. We'll never know.

Edited by Charles Rice

I don't know why the fascination with big bottles.

Ordered some Waterman Serenity Blue... I hope it arrives before Easter, my previous batch almost finished...

http://www.liquefiedgascarrier.com/LNG.jpg

Edited by Thymen

The bottle in my avatar is 12oz,from the mid-late 30s I think, and I also have a 32oz bottle of Carters from the early 1940s.

The ink, in both cases, has separated and isnt really all that usable, sadly.

My first thought was "couldn't you just shake it well before use?" But then I thought of it separating in a pen and eeewwww

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

Ordered some Waterman Serenity Blue... I hope it arrives before Easter, my previous batch almost finished...

:lticaptd:

Ya gonna put it on the shelf, or put it all in 10ml vials for all of your friends here

Edited by Charles Rice

I suspect that is more of a liability issue. If the ink isn't sterile, or something happens when used as tattoo ink, they wouldn't want to be sued.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

In a licensed tattoo shop: They use the right equipment..sterilization practices when makin' tats.....

You need to understand that a tattoo procedure is the equivalent of minor surgery......

If something goes wrong..contact a personal injury attorney.................

Re: Image/Damage Your above statement is absurd.....Unless of course you're in prison or in an unlicensed establishment..perhaps your friend Dr Vinnie Boombatz

doin' the tats................Even then don't believe that the injured party can't be sued..and prevail................

Fred

But perhaps Pelikan ink has not been tested or designed for the purpose of tattooing and has something in its formula which might hurt someone if used in tattooing, irrespective of the skills, liscening or care of the artist?

Liability is a genuine concern and all it would take is someone getting sick or hurt badly followed by a law suit and demonstration that Pelikan knew its ink not tested for safe use was being used.

I dont understand the liability issue: the ink is sold as a fountain pen ink, not tattoo ink. If a product is not used for its intended purpose and results are bad, then its the person who misused the product who should be liable for their bad choices, not the manufacturer of the product.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I dont understand the liability issue: the ink is sold as a fountain pen ink, not tattoo ink. If a product is not used for its intended purpose and results are bad, then its the person who misused the product who should be liable for their bad choices, not the manufacturer of the product.

The laws aren't so simple

The laws aren't so simple

Because lawyers?

Anyway. Back to large bottles; for fountain pens. Personally, for practical individual purposes, Octopus 250ml is more than sufficient. J.Herbin now offers 500ml 350th Anniversary Original Inks. One could purchase multiples of inexpensive Diamine 80mls and re-bottle as per Mr Rice's suggestion. Or Montblanc Elixir if so inclined.

As for the ink bar last mentioned in post #25 that would be Jacques Herbin Essentielles. The uptown branch.

I suspect many of us here have enough ink to last a decade.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just finished another 350ml bottle of Pilot Blue-Black and finishing off half pint of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.....

Fred

You go after the operator.........................

1 L