Wing Sung 3008 / Z50

AidenMark

A Hong Kong Ebay dealer was offering exactly Euro 1.29 (inc post) for a Wing Sung 3008 demonstrator. Ohh free stuff!!! I went for it.

Well, you get what you pay for: when it arrived it had great ink capacity and visibility, nice see-through feed but offered an awful writing experience.

The nib was slippery and on coated paper it could hardly write at all. It blocked and dried out with shimmer ink. Some work with micromesh improved the skipping but, honestly it was still pretty bad and heading for the pile of cheap pens at the back of the draw.

But ... out of curiosity I swapped the nib for an old Lamy Z50 that looked like it would fit. It did. Pull off, push on, no disassembly or skills required.

fpn_1549708550__img_9479.jpg

Wow, what a difference! The combination writes well on all paper, the flow is drastically improved and works with any ink. So basically it's now a piston filler Safari with huge ink capacity. The only negative is the piston knob is a bit loose.

Certainly others have tried this before but even if you aren't into part swaps you owe it to yourself to try this.

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• almoore

• AidenMark

• penzel_washinkton

I have a similar experience as yours up to the micromesh...

the pen is in the back of the drawer, it's not really a bad pen but the nib felt disappointing. It improved somewhat after micromesh but I still have many better pens for this to remain almost unused.

I haven't tried the Lamy nib swop as I don't have any Safari's (I know they write well, I have tried one, but I just hate the look of the pen...)

I may have to look for a Lamy nib now...

I like the 3008, I've been lucky with mine, they've all been good writers. Following a review, I bought some Lamy nibs and like you i got excellent results.

Al

My Wing Sung 3008 had a smooth and wet nib out of the box but I changed it to an aftermarket EF nib since I felt the F was too wide.

But no issue of skipping with the stock nib. If you don't have an unused Lamy nib lying around, buy an aftermarket WS 3008 nib from a trusted Ebay seller.

My Wing Sung 3008 with the EF nib is one of my most favorable EDC pens. The nib was a little bit dry in the beginning but this was so easy to fix by running a brass sheet through the nib slit a couple of times and slightly enlarging it so the pen became more wet. Nib was/is smooth, no need to use micromesh to polish mine. To me this is the best value for money pen there is, the piston works great, the feed is clear, so I ordered some 4 or 5 more that I keep for future use. I also thinking of getting some extra nibs in different size. I have tried OEM Lamy Safari nibs on my WS 3008 and they do not fit perfectly, they are a bit loose on my 3008 feed. I could try to bend them with a pliers but I am too afraid this might ruin the Lamy nib. Hope this helps some...

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

When I ordered my set of four 3008s, I had already heard of that (where else than here) and

I ordered some Z50 exchange stub nibs together with them.

Not the German made from Lamy, but made in China.

I do not like the super-thin asian nibs, so I never tried the nibs that came with the 3008s;
but the exchange nibs do very well.

So far, the pens do not tend to dry out and write fine. I'm very pleased with them!

The only problem is: The nibs sit very loosely on the pens and may fall off!

Someone here complained that his/her nib fell into the inkpot while he/she was filling the pen. :D

Just take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the sides of the nib until the grasp the WS feed better, that's what I did.

{a bunch snipped}

The only problem is: The nibs sit very loosely on the pens and may fall off!

Someone here complained that his/her nib fell into the inkpot while he/she was filling the pen. :D

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I’ve been using Lamy Z50 nibs on 3008’s for some time now. The feed keeps up with ink demands of 1.5 & 1.9 stubs far better than my Safari ever did.

For extra fine nib which I prefer for journaling I use the cheap copy nibs sold on eBay.