The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Want To Buy The Faber Castell Loom

loom

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:39

I recently decided to buy the Faber Castell Loom. As it is not available in India, I decided to buy it from an online store. After a thorough lookup for the Loom, I came by a site called https://www.penboutique.com where some of the Looms are on an offer of 32$. I don't know about any online fountain pen sites except Goulet. Currently the Loom is sold at Goulet for 55$. 

What I'm asking is the offer from penboutique is a dealbreaker or is it a shady site? (Mentioning again, I know nothing about online pen stores outside of India)

https://www.penbouti...t_type=Fountain

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:52

I am not the biggest fan of their nibs. But it is a nice pen. Faber Castell might probably sell cheaper in the UK or Europe, no need to get from the US.

#3 chravagni

chravagni

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:03

Also different Looms have different prices. For example the Gunmetal costs almost twice the normal aluminium one.

#4 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:21

In love with the Faber-Castell steel nibs from the Basic model onwards.

Loom prices vary depending on materials of the pen and seller. Faber-Castell's official Italian website offers the Loom model from a 35€ pricetag, so I think that 32$ is legit.

I have three Loom Piano and they're all great pens, everyday writers. Good choice!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#5 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 13:09

No advice apart from that goulet is a company that is worth the small amount of extra cost. they're just a spectacular business.

Also, avoid a piano finish or other shiny finishes. They're fingerprint magnets.

I personally adore the loom's nib.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 09 February 2019 - 13:09.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#6 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 14:30

Also, avoid a piano finish or other shiny finishes. They're fingerprint magnets.

And micro scratches become MACRO scratches.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#7 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 16:44

Hi all,

I have a Loom... and I hate to be contrarian,... but I don't care for mine. I do not recall the name of my pen's finish, but it has the metallic orange cap.

At any rate, I find the weight on it too dense and concentrated and the pen itself is very slippery... I've had it slip through my fingers like an over-chalked pool cue.

The nib IS fantastic... but so are the nibs on all the FC models I've used.

Bottom line... If it were me... I'd stick with the brand, but check out the other models... the name of my favorite model is evading me now. :wallbash:

As per usual, YMMV.

Be well all. :)
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#8 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:49

I love my Loom pen and have been using it for about a year now. I also have their Basic model which has the same nib as Loom, but is a little back-heavy for me.

I bought mine from williampenn.net and would suggest you to take a look at their site before you order from outside.

Right now it seems the Loom is out of stock but there is another model Essentio available for roughly 35$

https://www.williamp...ose-medium.html

In case you want only the Loom, I'd suggest you wait for a while  and buy it from them. And they do run a sale from time to time. I got my Loom for 25$ back then : )

(Not affiliated with the site in any way, just had good experience buying a few pens from them)

#9 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 00:32

I'm using it with a TWSBI F nib and works better than the original nib (I didn't like it).

#10 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:53

I love my Loom pen and have been using it for about a year now. I also have their Basic model which has the same nib as Loom, but is a little back-heavy for me.

I bought mine from williampenn.net and would suggest you to take a look at their site before you order from outside.

Right now it seems the Loom is out of stock but there is another model Essentio available for roughly 35$

https://www.williamp...ose-medium.html

In case you want only the Loom, I'd suggest you wait for a while  and buy it from them. And they do run a sale from time to time. I got my Loom for 25$ back then : )

(Not affiliated with the site in any way, just had good experience buying a few pens from them)

Thank you for the suggestion... I was looking at williampenn.net but it was out of stock, so thought about buying it from outside. Will keep an eye on williampenn for a while then. Though I heard Essentio has a different feed and nib, I guess?

#11 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:33

Thank you for the suggestion... I was looking at williampenn.net but it was out of stock, so thought about buying it from outside. Will keep an eye on williampenn for a while then. Though I heard Essentio has a different feed and nib, I guess?

I think the nib is the same as Loom, hope someone with the pen can answer this correctly. In some ways it  is supposed to be better than the Basic model, as this one has an aluminium section and a better balance. But I don't have that pen so can only say based on what I read somewhere.

#12 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 17:32

I think the nib is the same as Loom, hope someone with the pen can answer this correctly. In some ways it  is supposed to be better than the Basic model, as this one has an aluminium section and a better balance. But I don't have that pen so can only say based on what I read somewhere.

ahh my bad, i misread it somewhere that the nib is different. but the nib is similar to the essentio. essentio is a fairly new model and it may have a different feed.. that's why i am not going for the essentio right now..

#13 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 18:17

Since the title says 'want to buy', I shan't discourage OP from doing that. Please buy and report your experience! (With pictures and writing samples please ;) )

#14 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 18:27

ahh my bad, i misread it somewhere that the nib is different. but the nib is similar to the essentio. essentio is a fairly new model and it may have a different feed.. that's why i am not going for the essentio right now..

Personally I don't see why you should have any problems with the feed. But I can understand if you prefer Loom. Actually it's my favorite too among the affordable faber-castell pens. Hope you get yours soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loom

Sponsored Content

|