12 New Pens In One Go - Would Like Your Thoughts, Please.

Penjamin Franklin

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to nab 12 pens in one go recently. All 12 are by Pelikan, with 7 being fountain pens and 5 being rollerball.

I believe the larger pen is an M800 (18kt nib, about 29 grams empty), which is nice. There also appear to be a few pens that are quite old, perhaps 50s/60s? A few say "W. Germany" and I believe those must be sometime between 70s and late 80s, but I am not certain - would love some input from those with much more experience.

This acquisition has made my collection significantly larger, and for that I am thrilled.

Please note: first 5 pens below (first 2 images) are rollerball. Last 7 pens (last 4 image) are fountain.

post-15128-0-16189400-1549661432_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-88649900-1549661437_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-30336300-1549661443_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-10297200-1549661448_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-01508500-1549661453_thumb.jpg

post-15128-0-95445200-1549661456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penjamin Franklin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penjamin Franklin

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attached Images

'80-97 M400 - blue stripped. The two on the end are 200's...the one with the gold ring a newer one.

Is that marbled green one with W.Germany?

Don't know which lizard that is...LE? 800?

• post-15128-0-16189400-1549661432.jpg
  • post-15128-0-88649900-1549661437.jpg
  • The black pen on the right is an Ibis....mine has a gold nib. don't know what the black one is next to it. Black 400nn?

The green stripped one is a 140.....

The short green one could be an Italian 151.(No gold ring so isn't.) The long one a 120....Don't know the shorter one next to it.

• post-15128-0-30336300-1549661443.jpg
  • post-15128-0-10297200-1549661448.jpg
  • post-15128-0-01508500-1549661453.jpg
  • post-15128-0-95445200-1549661456.jpg

Bottom post '97 M400....the black one could be a small '600....if it has a 18 K nib...look for W.Germany.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks Bo!

The last two images of the striped blue - that pen is significantly larger and heavier than all of the other pens. 18kt nib. Pretty sure that an M800, no? Measurements and weight on the Pelikan website correspond to the M800.

Marbled green is not W Germany - just Germany. The W. Germany one is the green one on the far left of the 3rd and 4th images.

Edited by Penjamin Franklin

Thanks Driften.

For anyone else - would love some help identifying a few more of these, namely the W. Germany fountain pen with the gold pelican on the cap top, and the rollerball with the snake/lizard pattern.

That's one hell of a catch.

Did you have any/some Pelikan's before?

The ones with the round tops &rounded bottoms...the ones not green and black....in one is a regular flex 120....don't know the other two....should be semi-flex.

The black one next to the Ibis, is a puzzle to me.

There are M&K or Merz and Krell...'73-78 a different company allowed by Pelikan to remake the 400nn (have no idea if the nib is semi-flex or not) ....but the top(finial) is different. As I said a puzzle. I don't have an M&K Pelikan.

You have other pens from the '82-97 era that will be regular flex.The W.Germany nib is a slight tad more springy than the '90-97 Germany nibs.

And I don't know what you have post '98....400/600 are semi-nail. (Fat and Blobby ....butter smooth nib....sometimes with baby bottom problems.

Pre-98 are 1/2 a width narrower, not fat and blobby, has a nice clean line..is a nice springy regular flex.

Your 800 is probably a nail..post '97. (There is ways to find out if it is '90-97 regular flex (not fat and blobby)....something to do with how many chicks it has.)

I'm not all that up to snuff on the 800, in I prefer the 200/400/600 over it. Those should be posted to have their superior balance.

If you worry about mars, just wax the pens....and it will not mar.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It would be a lot easier if we could see the nibs...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell