The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi 580 Vs Pilot V "special Alloy"

twsbi 580 pilot vp vanishing point special alloy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LordBaggins

LordBaggins

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:30

I am trying to think a little ahead, here, and get an idea of a goal I want to start shooting for.  I am thinking of getting my next fountain pen in the $50-$100 range in the next several months.  Currently I own a Pilot Metro (F), Pilot 78G (B ), and a TWSBI Eco (EF).  I tend to write small, and generally with about a 50 degree angle to the page.  Eventually I would like to own both a VP and a Lamy 2000.

So, here's the dilemma:  neither the VP with a gold nib, nor the Lamy 2k are in the desired price range right now, so they'll probably be a couple years out.  I am both a student, and a full-time employee in a law office.  Piston-fillers and a super-easy deployment both have a lot of draw for me.  I can get the TWSBI in the States for around the $50-$70 range, depending on model, and I can get that "Special Alloy" VP shipped from Japan for around $90.  I have been stalking reviews on both for months now, but I am having a really hard time picking one over the other.  It's also nice to think I can swap out nib units for either if I want to switch (in the case of both) or upgrade (in the case of the VP).

Do any of you have experience with both?  Preferences for one over the other (and why)?

The pen will be used as my edc, the daily go-to for notes and dictation in the office, light notes for school, and my future "Ink Tests for the Common Office" reviews.  Right now, my Eco with the EF nib is lasting between one and two weeks per fill, and I am not bothered by having to fill more often.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

Sponsored Content

#2 LordBaggins

LordBaggins

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:31

Sorry - posted before preview re: the title

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

#3 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:43

You already have a TWSBI Eco, I don't think another TWSBI will do anything your Eco doesn't already. Meanwhile a Pilot Capless is by far the best fountain pen for making notes at a meeting/while focusing heavily on something else, or while standing up (juggling a cap while standing and holding a notebook is what got me to pull the trigger on a Decimo myself). So I think the Capless is the better choice of the two for you as it brings something new. It's also more fidget-with-able.

I'm sure you've already read about how the clip on the Pilot can be a problem for some people of course, and about how the medium nib is wider than expected leading many to prefer the fine nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi 580, pilot vp, vanishing point, special alloy

Sponsored Content

|