The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Problems With Pilot Metropolitan

nib issues scratchy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:04

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib about a couple of months ago after getting to know it has a really smooth flow of writing. The pen had a very rough start. After a day or two, it eased up. But still when I draw a line from left to right, it goes smoothly, but when I do the reverse, it becomes scratchy and as well take off fibers if written on low quality paper. The same happens on a specific diagonal line too. I use Sheaffer Skrip Blue. I am kind of new to fountain pens and never faced this issue with my other pens. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Sponsored Content

#2 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:22

The tines on your pen are not in alignment. The right tine is slightly below the left tine (with the nib facing away from you). The tip on the left tine is digging into the surface of the paper as you move left to right. When you go the other direction, the smooth outside edge of the right tip glides smoothly.

You can fix this yourself, but first watch a video to see how this is done.

Here is a link to a great video describing how this is done. I've done this several times on pens before. Just be careful and go slow and make small changes.

Let us know how it works.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#3 Arijitdutta

Arijitdutta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:48

The tines on your pen are not in alignment. The right tine is slightly below the left tine (with the nib facing away from you). The tip on the left tine is digging into the surface of the paper as you move left to right. When you go the other direction, the smooth outside edge of the right tip glides smoothly.

You can fix this yourself, but first watch a video to see how this is done.

Here is a link to a great video describing how this is done. I've done this several times on pens before. Just be careful and go slow and make small changes.

Let us know how it works.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will update with how I end up with. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib issues, scratchy

Sponsored Content

|