The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Question About Sheaffer Stylist

sheaffer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Megaten

Megaten

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:18

Hello everyone. So I was a little curious about something, and it doesn't seem to come up at all, but on the Sheaffer Stylist, were ANY of the nibs solid gold rather than plated? Since the nibs are not hallmarked, I'm not very sure, and old stylist advertisements never talked about the nibs being solid. Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking since the Sheaffer "Dolphin" imperial is solid gold, perhaps the stylist might be as well( as the dolphin is not hallmarked either, but old advertisements mention it being solid 14k).

Thanks and have a good day.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:11

This question might well be better answered in the Sheaffer subsection.

I being in Germany don't chase Sheaffer having only a Snorkel, so don't know.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,599 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:14

Which nib version?  The 180 style or the Triumph style nibs.   If the later, there were 14K nibs.  I've had a bunch.  Those nibs got used on several different models including the Stylist.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 Megaten

Megaten

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2019 - 19:12

Which nib version?  The 180 style or the Triumph style nibs.   If the later, there were 14K nibs.  I've had a bunch.  Those nibs got used on several different models including the Stylist.

Its the double sided one. Honestly it probably isnt solid gold, as there is no flex. I have a sheaffer dolphin, and that flexes very well, as I believe on that one its gold. Im aware the later stylists have the triumph nib, and say "14k" on them.

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 20:39

Just because a nib is gold has nothing to do with it not being a nail.....I have a Parker gold nail, a Lamy Persona gold nail. A Pelikan D nib...The Nail''s Nail is 14 K gold!

A nail is a nail, be it steel or gold.....and IMO this 'soft gold nail'...is someone has a semi-nail and don't know it.

"Soft nails" :lticaptd: ....are semi-nail like a modern Pelikan 400/600 or old P-75.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,599 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 23:24

Since the nib is supported on both sides,  I wouldn't expect flex.   I haven't taken a nib unit apart, and haven't tested one either. 

The Dolphin nibs BTW are marked - down at the tail where you can't see it unless you take the nib unit apart.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer

Sponsored Content

|