Pen Suggestion For Arthritis Issues

SeeksAdvice

Lately, have been experiencing issues with psoriatic arthritis.

Was looking at the Sailor Pro-Gear / 1911 series for a combination of decent grip diameter and fairly light weight. While I'm not a big fan of the style of the 1911 (despite owning an MB), there is something amusing about the concept of carrying a 1911 while I'm carrying a 1911 (in 10mm) :P

Are the Sailor pens worth the price of admission?

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• MuddyWaters

• SeeksAdvice

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no experience with Sailor, but in a previous thread about arthritis the Rotring Skynn was mentioned as being comfortable:

62cc1882839ea4c03099953c842c2d34.jpg

While the pen body looks like it could be comfy, I'm not sure how easy that tiny smooth snap cap would be to remove for those with reduced hand strength.

You might be interested in a wooden Pilot Vanishing Point:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Tdu7C2A4sF0/VYB_BsFR8rI/AAAAAAAACGU/kNG2k35g0-Y/s1600/vp-bamboo-2-pens-hand.jpg

It's supposed to be lighter than the normal metal version (at I believe 24 grams to the usual 30 grams).

I recommended this in another arthritis, post....

I don't have that yet....but can see this working.

Help! How Do You Hold Your Fountain Pen?

The forefinger up method is an automatic light hold.....there is no pressure as with the tripod, much less the death grip. Takes some three minutes to learn, some week of alternating for me to have settled into it......and then no more pain of writing.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

larger size pens usually provide some relief vs smaller pens that are more difficult to hold by arthritis affected hands

the Pro gear is a lovely pen but smallish

you might want to try larger pens, I always suggest the Bexley Prometheus for a light pen with a larger size grip, easy to find on the bay at affordable price

(btw, trust you will be on treatment, it's important not to neglect treatment in psoriatic arthritis, be well)

You might want to consider a Ranga 8B, a large ish lightweight pen that I find very comfortable to write with. Ranga also do larger pens in their 9 range. Check the 'Market Watch' thread, they have a post up with some good pictures.

Al

Edited by almoore

My wife has PA. Not as into the fountain pens though...

She has found relief with the Uni Gel Grip pens/pencils, and the Pilot Dr. Grip Ltd. Since Pilot already makes the Dr. Grip, I really wish they would transfer the concept to fountain pens. Maybe I could actually convince her to join in the fun.

I am curious if there is some worry that a gel-style grip would be too large, or if it would make people inclined to use too much pressure.

I know none of this is exceptionally relevant to the topic. However, let me know if you wanted to start a petition along these lines to Pilot, because it is definitely something that I would sign my name to.

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

larger size pens usually provide some relief vs smaller pens that are more difficult to hold by arthritis affected hands

the Pro gear is a lovely pen but smallish

you might want to try larger pens, I always suggest the Bexley Prometheus for a light pen with a larger size grip, easy to find on the bay at affordable price

(btw, trust you will be on treatment, it's important not to neglect treatment in psoriatic arthritis, be well)

I know on the treatment thing. But, alas, I live on the Northern Plains. Couldn't get into a rheumatologist until March 5th. Got prescribed cataflam, only to discover that it's no longer available, at least not out here.

Thankfully, it's only periodic (so far) in the hands. It's -30F (or lower) outside, and, um, yeah... on the bigger joints.

Will look at Bexley. They look to be fairly cheap... cheap is good. My M400, M800. M1000, MB146 have all been dropped nib down. My one sailor pen got hit with solvents. Washed a couple of Lamy Safari's. I am a klutz, and, now a klutz that moves even more poorly :P

I admit that I never considered the Pro Gear to be that small of a pen. Now, if they had something the grip size of the M1000, but without the weight and absurd nib size (regret my purchase), I think I'd like it.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I have osteoarthritis in both hands and have found that large diameter pens of light weight with a "good" balance work best for my predicament. My pens of choice are Pelikan M800, Sheaffer's Oversize Balance, Parker Senior Duofold, Edison Collier, Oversize Eclipse, Conklin Crescent Model 40 or a full size vintage Endura, various large combo pens, and you get the idea. Big, light, balanced in he hand. My Ranga Model 8 is a very nice pen but just a little too narrow. Almore's suggestion about them is a good one. Great value for the money, especially if you get in on one of the FPN group buys.

Good luck with your search.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

When I was having trouble with my thumb last year I got some of the silicone sleeves you can slide onto a pencil, slit them lengthwise and wrapped them onto my pen barrels. Worked pretty well and prevented me from having to sell off my vintage pens.

You can stay with the 1911 theme and get a Franklin Christoff 1911. Perfect size for what you're describing and light. Beautiful too.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

I have roblems with my right hand specifically, in that I have suffered multiple strokes. I can no longer shoot a handgun. As far as pens go, I find it a lot easier on my hand if I use a pen with a larger diameter. Say, I find the MB 149 or the Pelikan M1000 to be just about right. Sailor pens are wonderful pens , but, size can be an issue. I use my Sailor 1911 Realo pen only to write a sentence or two because it is a bit smaller in size that the MB 149.

Recently, the Physical Therapist gave me pieces of foam with a hole punched in the middle, which he said was for use with ballpoint pens, pencils etc. They work with my Cross BP pens and my mechanical pencils, but I havent yet tried putting the foam sleeve on a fountain pen yet. If you want, please PM me your address, and I will send you 2 pieces of foam in 2 different sizes for you to try out.

The Japanese have long made pens for people who suffer from arthritis. Here along with a Parker 51 for comparison are two such pens. These are very light for their size, and the fat section makes them comfortable to be gripped by someone with arthritis. The short one is a Tombow Zoom fp28 and it takes a short international cartridge. The longer one is a vacuum piston filler, and I have no idea who made it.

post-35937-0-14742400-1549643764_thumb.jpg

I have no experience with Sailor, but in a previous thread about arthritis the Rotring Skynn was mentioned as being comfortable:

62cc1882839ea4c03099953c842c2d34.jpg

While the pen body looks like it could be comfy, I'm not sure how easy that tiny smooth snap cap would be to remove for those with reduced hand strength.

When I saw the name of this thread, I actually thought of this pen! Interesting to see that someone else did as well. It has one of those massive rubber grips that might suit you well.

As for Sailor, I have a 1911 L and love it. It's worth the price. I think that the grip would be wide and comfortable enough for you, but I would see if you could try it out first. If you can't, though, I would go for it! It is a wonderful pen.

Good luck finding the right one for you.

I just treated myself to an Opus 88 Koloro Demonstrator pen and find it very comfortable for my arthritic hands. The pen doesn't post, has a thick barrel and a huge ink capacity (eye-dropper only).

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

No arthritis here, but love my Sailor 1911M with the medium nib. My Platinum 3776 comes in a close second.

Your 10mm 1911 sounds like a heavy carry. Sold my lightweight 1911 in .45 and now prefer the Bersa Thunder..

I have osteoarthritis in both hands, but especially in my left hand - and I am a lefty.

The pens that work well for me are my Delta Horsepower, Franklin Christopher Panther 40, Pineider Keys of Heaven, and my Lamy Safaris, Al-Stars and Aions. I have been slowly selling off my slimmer pens.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today