New Esterbrook Estie Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would shoot the pen a little differently. I think the color is more vivid in this shot.
This is the new Esterbrook Estie Honeycomb with gold color trim fountain pen. It's 5.9 inches long and features a gold plated #6 German JOWO stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a marbled translucent polished acrylic. The cap has an interesting cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is gold color. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. This same pen is available with chrome plated trim. Retail price is $195.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookEstieHoneycombGT_2048_02.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• corgicoupe

• Honeybadgers

• pajaro

Hi, Folks!

Another new shot. I think the Blueberry color is more vivid in this shot.
This is the new Esterbrook Estie Blueberry with gold color trim fountain pen. It's 5.9 inches long and features a gold plated #6 German JOWO stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a marbled translucent polished acrylic. The cap has an interesting cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is gold color. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. This same pen is available with chrome plated trim. Retail price is $195.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookEstieBlueberryGT_2048_04.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

Here's the black with gold trim Estie.
This is the Esterbrook Estie Black with gold color trim fountain pen. It's 5.9 inches long and features a gold plated #6 German JOWO stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a deep black polished acrylic. The cap has an interesting cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is gold color. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. This same pen is available with chrome plated trim. Retail price is $195.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookEstieBlackGT_2048_02.jpg
Thanks!

You got that right, Gary.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Those pens, in their shape, remind me of old Sheaffers. It's easy to see resemblances between cigar shaped pens. How many ways can you put a skin on the cat?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Those pens, in their shape, remind me of old Sheaffers. It's easy to see resemblances between cigar shaped pens. How many ways can you put a skin on the cat?

How many cats do you have? B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is the new Esterbrook Estie Lilac with silver color trim fountain pen. It's 5.9 inches long and features a #6 German JOWO stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a marbled translucent polished acrylic. The cap has an interesting cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is chrome plated. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. This same pen is available with gold plated trim. Retail price is $195.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookEstieLilacSilver_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is the new Esterbrook Estie Lilac with gold color trim fountain pen. It's 5.9 inches long and features a #6 German JOWO stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a marbled translucent polished acrylic. The cap has an interesting cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is gold plated. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. This same pen is available with chrome plated trim. Retail price is $195.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookEstieLilacGold_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

I guess that's why the majorityt of my pens are black, except the Esterbrooks

Robert Frost

Grey and blue describe about everything I own.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• 2 weeks later...

These are pretty pens....I tried to do the Lilac one and found it too light for my personal taste so I have the green and cobalt. Sure would be nice if they made a red version.

MD

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is the new Esterbrook Estie Sparkle Garnet with gold plate trim oversize fountain pen. It's 6 inches long and features a #6 German JOWO gold plated stainless steel nib. The cap and barrel are made from a patent pending Diamondcast material by Tim McKenzie of McKenzie Penworks in Charlotte, NC that uses reclaimed diamond particles from diamond cutters, incorporating it into a material that shines and glimmers with light in each move of the resulting pen. The pen literally sparkles in bright light. The cap has the Estie cushion cap closure that requires a little push while twisting it on or off. The trim is gold plated. It is a cartridge / converter type and with the addition of the MV adapter it can use vintage Esterbrook nibs. Available nibs are extra fine, fine, medium, broad and 1.1mm stub. Retail price is $395.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EsterbrookSparkleGarnet_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

These are pretty pens....I tried to do the Lilac one and found it too light for my personal taste so I have the green and cobalt. Sure would be nice if they made a red version.

MD

Well CarGuy, you asked and they delivered!! And it only cost an extra $200.00! What a deal???????

And that's for a stainless steel nib!

Yes, it is quite beautiful (IMHO) BUT $400.00 list for a steel nib? Wonder what the sales figures will be in the next 6-12 months?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Well CarGuy, you asked and they delivered!! And it only cost an extra $200.00! What a deal???????

And that's for a stainless steel nib!

Yes, it is quite beautiful (IMHO) BUT $400.00 list for a steel nib? Wonder what the sales figures will be in the next 6-12 months?

The higher price is because the material is made in very low quantities and includes diamond dust, which is why it sparkles. It's really hard to photograph.

I am considering getting one of the new Esties and had a couple of questions for folks who have used them. By way of background, I have a number of the old nibs and I am particularly interested in using the MV converter. I currently use them on a vintage J, but I am interested in a pen that I can more easily toss in a bag/take back-and-forth from work with less leak or damage risk, etc.

1. MV Adapter: I've noticed reviews going both ways on how this works. Have folks on here had a decent experience with it in terms of flow, etc.? My nibs do not have the tube in the back, so that's not a problem. Additionally, is the special converter that goes with it quite a bit smaller than the normal one? Hard to tell online.
  2. Size: It seems like this is not a great pen to use posted because of the design of the cap, so I am leaning towards an oversized. (I have somewhat big hands.) Is the oversized *huge* though? Also, would it look awkward with the relatively small old nibs?
  3. General Performance over Time: A lot of the reviews have focused on how the pen performs initially. But have folks who have used it over time been happy with it?
  4. Feed Material: Does anyone happen to know if the feed on the stock nib is made of plastic or ebonite? Tons of internet research (and a question sent to Esterbrook itself) has yet to yield an answer.

To me, the standard size is large enough. It's larger than my Pelikan M800.

Robert Frost

To me, the standard size is large enough. It's larger than my Pelikan M800.

Size preference is purely a personal issue. There are so many aspect that contribute to one's comfort with any given pen. Of course keep in mind that things often change over time and with new materials and designs. That's what can make this hobby fun and satisfying. It also encourages designers and manufacturers to explore new ideas and concepts in addition to innovating on the older stuff.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

No thoughts re performance over time? And could anyone who owns either a normal Estie or an OS post a pic showing it next to another pen for comparison, like a TWSBI?

Also, does it work well posted? I read somewhere that the spring cap made it somewhat unstable posted...

Edited by es9