Pelikan M101N Grey-Blue

BillH

So, my email this morning contained the announcement of a new Pelikan M101N Grey-Blue, to be available later in March. Nice looking pen. Reminds me of the M205 Blue Marbled in many ways, the later model anyway. Rhodium furniture.

What do you think? I love the pen, but the price is :yikes:

Prices like this make me a consider rethinking my collection goals, especially for these smaller sizes.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• sansenri

• Barutti

• inkstainedruth

More like three and a half times "better" if you look at the price alone. As in, an M205 can be found for around a 100€-125€ mark, pre-order price for that M101N is ~360€.

It also comes with a 14k nib vs. the steel nib in a M205, the format is a very nice (one of my all time favorites) and hey, some people might like that color scheme too.

I really need to see it in person to comment further, not an immediate hit for me although that blue - light grey/white - dark grey/black evokes the colors of the flag of Estonia, our Southern brothers...

Anyways, I prefer vintage 100N/101N for their color schemes and nibs, they are true EDC writer's pens, short enough for most shirt & suit pockets but when used posted, quite a bit longer. And the nibs, oh, the nibs...

It is a beautiful pen. But, not for me.

I prefer larger pens.

I've also been rethinking Pelikan for quite some time.

Their truly abysmal QC (my experience as of the last 2 years), the fact that they don't honor the warranty

for purchases abroad and, perhaps even more important, the lack of variety in nibs (only F, M, B and EF at a premium)

is more and more taking my money elsewhere (although still in Germany).

For now, I'm still sticking with the 400, 800 and 1000 lines. For now!

Edited by Lam1

I like the m101n models better than a M400/M200 model. It's a nice pocket pen and I would much rather carry it in a pocket then my m805. That said it like the m400/m200 it's a smaller pen and I don't need a lot of them. My m101n Lizard is fitting the bill nicely.

$$$$$

There for used pens is my forte.

Cheap used ones even more so.

I have a single 100n, and it posts long so is not really a short pen.

I've not been able to make the jump to Large pens like an 800 and would only think of the W.Germany or pre'98 800's because of the 'better' nib'.

Even if I found the 1005 to be not quite as wide as expected...is a tad short when not posted, and ungainly when posted.

........I do prefer the better balanced 200/400 or 600 pens....of course posted. That is where they have the balance. Are light and nimble.

Even the long capped medium-short 140 has great balance posted. Posted it is as long as a 400.

Even if skinny and small, the 100/150 don't make me have second thoughts when I grab one from the pen cup.

I do use the forefinger up method of gripping a fountain pen, instead of the tripod and that could make a big difference.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have the first four M101Ns, so I'll likely add this new one. However, I find the two stock pictures I've seen in emails to be really unimpressive...even by Pelikan's usual photo standards. :lol:

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

To me it is not impresive at all

I wish they could have done some tortoise shell pattern or launched with special nibs

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I also have the four M101N and without doubts will add this one to my collection. The first impression from the photos is far from my expectations, but will expect that in reality it looks better. Much better.

Giedrius

I don't find this design compelling. The nibs may be 14C but for the size and build, I would consider the M200 series perfectly adequate for a small size pen (especially given their very good steel nibs).

The main drawback for me is the price that is being asked: at €500, I think an M600 or M800 must be a better buy without any question.

It looks like a nice pen but I expect this is strictly for avid Pelikan collectors!

Yeah, there is the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) and the price that the retailers buy those pens from the stockist/manufacturer. The actual price is usually somewhere between those two unless the manufacturer is draconian about the MSRP (i.e. makes the retailer to be contractually obligated to not offer the said items below the MSRP). That happens on the lower sales volume/professional side of the market quite often, for example with professional studio gear etc.

Okay, so far I've seen one picture and one price.... And nope. Nice enough looking pen, but not enough nice for me to be paying more than I did for my M405 Anthracite Stresemann. Just no.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love my M101Ns and I was expecting this one to be exactly like this.

Actually I was thinking it might be a replica of the 101N black green/grey, since Joshua anticipated the next release would not be as colourful. Pelikan has done almost precise replicas in this series (some very close to original) and with the 120 (in fact I am expecting a 120 bordeaux next! :) ).

I've seen the usual Spanish shop is selling at 470 euro, and I am hoping that several sellers will gradually come closer to the 400 euro more or less that have characterized the other pens in this series.

I'm particularly interested in this one though, because of it's traditional look, the wide majority of 101Ns around have black cap, section and finial.

I also love the specific nib in these pens.

I will be keeping an eye on pricing for the best deal.

Edited by sansenri

imore and more taking my money elsewhere (although still in Germany).

For now, I'm still sticking with the 400, 800 and 1000 lines. For now!

Out of curiosity, where? Cleo Skribent?