My First Esterbrook

howdydave

I just purchased a fully restored Esterbrook SJ from the 1950s with a #1461 Rigid Fine nib.

This is my first lever fountain pen.

I notice that it does not have a filler hole (all I see is a little dimple just above the section,) does it fill through the breather hole?

I purchased it online, so all I have to go by are the photos posted by Peyton Pens.

post-141595-0-61577900-1549183180_thumb.jpg

post-141595-0-86526200-1549183208_thumb.jpg

post-141595-0-90564500-1549183258_thumb.jpg

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance

is the first step on the road to true wisdom.

-- Adi Shankara

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• howdydave

• gweimer1

• corgicoupe

• Hobiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Howdy, Dave

First of all, congratulations on getting your first, and if you're new to this forum, Welcome! :W2FPN:

Filling is easy, if you have a bottle of ink. You ...

Dip the point into the ink past its breather hole,

With the point immersed in the liquid, raise the lever from the end with your finger nail until it's about perpendicular with the barrel (don't force it too far), then

Lower the lever back until it's flush with the barrel and keep the point immersed for about 10 seconds. You should maybe hear some kind of sucking sound as the rubber sac inside the barrel draws in the ink.

Repeat the above one or two times if desired (I just do it once).

Remove the point from the ink, wipe off any excess ink that may have gotten onto the section, and you're ready to write.

That's about it. As you get used to the activity, you'll develop your own way of doing it easiest for yourself. If you dip it too far, no problem, it'll still fill up OK. Just wipe off the excess ink.

Hope I got your question right, and that this helps. If not, let me know.

Edit: As I look back, I forgot to mention ... Yes, it does fill through the breather hole in the point.

Edited by Hobiwan

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Howdy Hobiwan!

Many thanks!

You answered my question and then some.

I was just curious about the route the ink takes from the ink bottle to the sac.

I wasn't 100% sure whether that was a dimple or an out of focus filler hole in my first image.

Now I know that ink enters through the breather hole!

Dave

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

The SJ above is a fine nib, but I'm more of a broad nib guy.

I just purchased this on eBay for $20.

Did I just make a mistake?

It says it fits Esterbrooks.

EDIT: I just got an Esterbrook Renew-point 2968 broad nib (NOS) to cover myself.

If they both fit, there's nothing wrong with having a backup!

post-141595-0-78759300-1549224285_thumb.jpg

post-141595-0-58296900-1549226671_thumb.jpg

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

And if that one is too broad, go for a 2668.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I don't see too many of the x460's and x461's. They were modeled on the 460 and 461 Manifold dip pens from Esterbrook. The 460 is a medium point, the 461 is a fine point.

Manifold was the name of one of the first makers of carbon paper, so that is what they called nibs stiff enough to write multiple copies at once. So, this will be very firm.

Congrats on entering the wonderful world of Esterbrooks!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Congratulations on your first Estie -- but be warned: it will probably not be your last (they're like potato chips -- you can't have just one B)).

The nice thing is that they have a huge variety of nib widths and grades -- and, like someone said, the Venus nib units will fit on them (as will, IIRC, Osmirioid nibs). And, except for the extremely rare and exotic nibs, the J series pens are still available at reasonable prices.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Howdy InkstainedRuth!

I'm already hunting around for a restored Dollar Pen at a reasonable price!

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

Check this one.

Robert Frost

Granted, I'm new to Esterbrooks but, since I purchased this pen, I've been looking around online for anything that resembles this color combination and have been unsuccessful.

Is this a rare cap/body combination,

just something I have not found yet,

or a mismatched set?

Whichever it is, this is my first Esterbrook and I will cherish it as such.

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

Is this a rare cap/body combination,

just something I have not found yet,

or a mismatched set?

I don't think so

Not sure

Maybe

Or, it could have come from the factory like that; put together by a worker who hadn't had his/her coffee that day, grabbed a cap and barrel from the green bins without looking closely at the color shades. I've run into that myself with pens I've gotten (as in "mackrel sky" cap on a "streaker" barrel). ;)

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Just got my SJ and Venus nib in the mail today.

Paired them together and inked it up (Diamine Ancient Copper.)

This pen is wonderous!

It has absolutely no resistance whatsoever.

AND... it looks much nicer than the photos indicate!

I'm ashamed of myself!

I was a physics major so I should know better than to think that a static photo can do justice to an object specifically designed to interact with light!

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

I took corgie's suggestion to heart about the Dollar pen at MidnightPens that she suggested and purchased it!

I am very confused!

Our very own seller is in Ohio,

My PayPal account will show a transaction with somebody in Ireland,

Price listed was in New Zealand $.

Would somebody enlighten me please, maybe even gweimer1?

(It sorta' reminds me of moonshiners trying to escape the revenuers.)

ref: this one.

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

Hey....I just saw this, and the order. I list my pens in US dollars, but there is a user option on Etsy on how to display items. Can you check to see if you accidentally set your default to NZ dollars? The sale on my site shows in USD, just as I list them.

Congrats and don't forget to look at the transitional Estes!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

What color and which nib?

Robert Frost