The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vacumatic Nib - Oblique?

vacumatic nib

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 23:22

I bought a Vacumatic from someone on Ebay because the nib was too tempting to miss. It's a nice pen, and seems to be working, which is a surprise. I assumed it was unrestored, but it's also well polished (too well - the barrel markings are no longer visible). But both striped jewels are present, so I'm happy :)

I think it's an oblique nib - happy to be corrected on this if it's not! 

46962433371_9bbd7ca7e0_z.jpgParker Vacumatic nib - oblique? by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

33087175098_7bd6ed3d8a_z.jpgParker Vacumatic slender lockdown, grey by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:11

Great nib!  Sure looks oblique to me.

Best, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#3 Boston Brian

Boston Brian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 19:55

Looks terrific to me too! How about showing us a example of its writing?

#4 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:37

Not an easy to find nib.Congratulations. :)

#5 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:48

Great nib. How about a writing sample?
Khan M. Ilyas

#6 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 21:17

A writing sample involves my handwriting - which, considering I'm a calligrapher, is awful! 

Anyway, please don't hold this against me:

46986300251_ec86bb3e6d_z.jpgVacumatic oblique nib sample by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

The nib definitely needs a bit of attention, but I'm not brave enough to do anything with it myself. I'm going to the London Pen Show in March, and will see if there's someone there that can check it out. 

Instagram @inkysloth 

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 22:54

Very nice find.  I love my Vacs, but they are pretty much all basic F nibs.  Nothing cool and exotic like that.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2019 - 23:07

Neat handwring. Your idea of looking for someone to check the nib for you at the London Pen Show sounds great.
Khan M. Ilyas

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:28

Looks like an after Parker treatment.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:57

Looks like Canada made nib.
Khan M. Ilyas

#11 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:13

looks early Minuskin. but nice nib!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#12 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:31

You may obtain different and possibly better results if you rotate the pen between finger and thumb through 15 degrees, anti clockwise as the degree of oblique on the double broad nib looks quite strong and that doesnt come out in your handwriting which makes me think that you are using the pen almost square on to the paper, this rotation  might  also help with the scratchiness. 

There is a first class nibsmith at the show but he is always busy, to the point that pens are left with him for work, it may therefore be better to send the pen ahead to be collected at the show, but if it is just smoothing (which is what it looks like) that is needed there are some very good vids on Youtube or helpful advice can be found on here.

Mennonite

#13 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:27

Looks like an after Parker treatment.

The W feed is right for a broad, stub, or oblique nib, so I thought it original. What makes you think its an alteration?

Instagram @inkysloth 

#14 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:28

Looks like Canada made nib.

Thats entirely likely - we get a lot of Canadian Parkers here. Ill have a peer into the section to see if I can peep at the imprint!

Instagram @inkysloth 

#15 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:44

You may obtain different and possibly better results if you rotate the pen between finger and thumb through 15 degrees, anti clockwise as the degree of oblique on the double broad nib looks quite strong and that doesnt come out in your handwriting which makes me think that you are using the pen almost square on to the paper, this rotation  might  also help with the scratchiness. 

There is a first class nibsmith at the show but he is always busy, to the point that pens are left with him for work, it may therefore be better to send the pen ahead to be collected at the show, but if it is just smoothing (which is what it looks like) that is needed there are some very good vids on Youtube or helpful advice can be found on here.

I definitely need to get the rotation right- Im used to writing with square-cut dip nibs so an oblique cut is completely new to me.

Who is the nibsmith thatll be at the show? Ill drop them a message to see if they have time to do this nib.

Instagram @inkysloth 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacumatic, nib

Sponsored Content

|