Parker Roller Ball Refill Packaging

OldFatDog

I hope this "?" is appropriate for this forum. From a closing jewelry store I purchased a bowl of roller ball & fiber tip refills (after testing a couple). I will attach an image later. The rim is gold followed by a brown band. "PARKER" & the symbol are across the bottom. I am looking for a way to date the packaging if at all possible.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldFatDog

• Shaughn

• thx1138

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The packages have the following: for the fiber tip refill =Item No. 6-114-873 & a bar code #714021148. For the roller ball item no. 6-108-863 & bar code 7140200486. Does this help?

post-30818-0-71151700-1549312366_thumb.jpg

1. Fibre tips were abolished around 1981. They were unsuccessful because of drying out very quickly. At least for the P25 series from 1976 to that time fibre tip versions were available. From 1981 there were shells (the front ends) that took both fibre tips and roller ball refills, After about 1985 only roller ball shells occur (afaik). (I have one produced in 1980, sold in 1985 fibre tip)

So the time slot for your fibre tips is narrowed to about 1985 and at least the previous 10 years.

2. Then, I have this P25 Rollerball package with the same colouring for the US market, (your rollerball refill is from Janesville WI, USA). The rollerball is dated UI, indicating 1981, but the small insert seems to bear the date of august 1983. The shell takes both fibre tips and roller balls.

So, all in all I’d say your refills would fit in the 1980-1985 period.
But that's only my 2 cts.

Edited by Shaughn

Wow, thank you so much, what a great amount of information. I wonder when Parker went from the smooth end cap (as shown in an image above) to the toothed end cap used now?

Frankly, I don't think they did, but I may be wrong at that.

I checked ads for rollerbal refills and I find only smooth ended refills. The function of this soft end plastic cap is to tighten the refill in the pen. In the P25 there is a round insert in the barrel. When screwed tight, this insert makes the end cap bend a little, thus fitting tight the insert. In the Parker Vector there is also an insert for the same purpose. That insert is dented and causes the indentations on the refill.
I tried to make pics of the insert in a Vector barrel - you can more or less see it and it makes the indentation of the upper blue refill. The red one is not used, while the lower blue one comes from a P25 roller ball. So I guess, for what it's worth, that you're referring to a used refill.

Just another 2 cts...

post-30818-0-03384400-1549367333_thumb.jpgpost-30818-0-46147900-1549367368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shaughn

• 2 weeks later...

It just crossed my mind - since you didn't show a pic of the dented refill and I was focussed on the refills the OP is about - there are roller ball / T-ball / gel pen refills for the ball point range. These are dented too. But they are complementary and, afaik, not a replacement for the ones you've got.