The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Insert Ink Cartridge On Esterbrook J Series Cx 100 N

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phonelady61

phonelady61

a very confused woman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Location:south carolina now thank God nothing finer than carolina
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2019 - 17:54

hi guys got an esterbrook j series cx100 and wondering how to install the ink cartridge ? and also what cartridges do they take ? does anyone know ? thanks in advance . it is just cx 100 don't know how the n got in there ignore it . thanks 

Edited by phonelady61, 02 February 2019 - 17:55.

Cathy :bunny01: 

:happyberet: 

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:59

Do you have the old cartridge?   The Esterbrook pens can use only the Esterbrook cartridges, as far as I know.  That means you would need to refill the cartridge with a syringe every time you run out of ink.  I don't know how reusing the cartridge would affect the seal over time, but I have been doing the same thing with a Sheaffer cartridge in a Venus pen for a while without any leaking.

#3 phonelady61

phonelady61

a very confused woman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Location:south carolina now thank God nothing finer than carolina
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:21

no i bought this off of e bay and was told that it took universal cartridges . However it does not so it is most likely going to be returned .

Cathy :bunny01: 

:happyberet: 

#4 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 18:40

Universal Cartridges in the 1950-60's sense does not mean the same as Universal or International does today. Esterbrook cartridge pens can only take their own proprietary cartridges, but sometimes modern cartridges will fit and work. Sheaffer works on some model, provided you puncture the seal before trying to insert it. Lamy also works on some, but is slightly loose, so maybe not the best bet. Platinum converters do fit on some of the other pens (Phaeton 300 I believe) so it all depends on what you might have lying around you can try. If you like the pen, keep it, it's not impossible to find something to make it work, or to try and find an original cartridge.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#5 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:56

Here's an additional trick.  When you find a cartridge, the diameter of which fits the pen, but it's too short - don't give up.  I simply slide an appropriate length of rubber eraser from a mechanical pencil up into the end of the barrel, and use that as a spacer to keep pressure on the cartridge so it remains tightly in place.  Many vintage Sheaffer erasers were about an inch in length, and approximately the required diameter.  They just need trimmed to an appropriate length.

In addition, I've found that some Esties can use 2 currently available "universal" cartridges, if one is pushed on to the section nipple, and the other is reversed and similarly used as a spacer, up in the barrel.  Using this method allows you to keep writing even after the first cartridge runs dry.

- - - Good luck, Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

Sponsored Content

|